geokilla

join:2010-10-04
North York, ON

Rogers Enhanced DOCSIS 3.0 Modem (Hitron CGN2) $169.49 - $50

DSL_Ricer
Premium
join:2007-07-22
kudos:3
According to the thread the $50 gift card offer is expired.

FiberToTheX
Premium
join:2013-03-14
reply to geokilla
Just to confirm this DOCSIS3 modem won't work with TSI/Start ?

alpovs

join:2009-08-08
said by FiberToTheX:

It won't.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
reply to FiberToTheX
said by FiberToTheX:

From a technical perspective, it will of course work fine. From a bureaucratic perspective they are currently not officially on the list of approved modems for any small ISP.

It is worth noting that Rogers appears to be in violation of the CRTC rules on this. In particular, it is my understanding that the following is still in effect:
viii) no second-level testing is required for a cable modem previously found to be compatible with the cable carrier's network or that is the same model as that used by the cable carrier for its customers;
See here:
»TPIA Cable modems approval process, costs, other details
--
electronicsguru.ca

vincom

join:2009-03-06
Bolton, ON
kudos:1
reply to geokilla
docsis 3 will/does work on teksavvy, but as previous post states rogers wont allow certain modems

alpovs

said by vincom:

docsis 3 will/does work on teksavvy

This particular DOCSIS 3 modem will not.

Hooter

join:2009-08-17
Scarborough, ON
If you were to move to another ISP such as Start or TSI, I would think that you would be thrilled to use any modem other than this one!

yyzlhr

join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON
kudos:4
said by Hooter:

If you were to move to another ISP such as Start or TSI, I would think that you would be thrilled to use any modem other than this one!

True, but I think the point is that if you're moving to a service provider that uses the same infrastructure, it's a bit disheartening to learn that you have to spend money on a new modem when the one you currently own is fully capable. This is in addition to all the other upfront costs associated with signing up with a TPIA.

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON
kudos:5

2 edits
reply to Teddy Boom
said by Teddy Boom:

said by FiberToTheX:

From a technical perspective, it will of course work fine. From a bureaucratic perspective they are currently not officially on the list of approved modems for any small ISP.

It is worth noting that Rogers appears to be in violation of the CRTC rules on this. In particular, it is my understanding that the following is still in effect:
viii) no second-level testing is required for a cable modem previously found to be compatible with the cable carrier's network or that is the same model as that used by the cable carrier for its customers;
See here:
»TPIA Cable modems approval process, costs, other details

I agree and concurr with Teddy Boom, on this.

Also, you might note this Hitron thingy is a 8x4 channel bonding enabled Gateway/Cable Modem (GCN) unit. I don't know much more beyond that - we'd be curious to see some pix's of its innards and a listing of its chipsets and other specs.
--
----|- From the mind located in the shadows of infinity -|----
Nine.Zero.Burp.Nine.Six
Twitter = Twizted Zero
Chat = irc.teksavvy.ca

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium
Toronto, ON
reply to alpovs
said by alpovs:

Care to explain your reasoning for why this particular modem wouldn't work on any other 3rd party provider, even though the last mile is also rogers own infrastructure? Is there some kind of provisioning magic we're not aware of? I'm quite looking forwards to seeing your reply.
--
Nine.Zero.Burp.Nine.Six
Twitter = Twizted Zero
Chat = irc.teksavvy.ca

alpovs

said by TwiztedZero:

said by alpovs:

Care to explain your reasoning for why this particular modem wouldn't work on any other 3rd party provider, even though the last mile is also rogers own infrastructure? Is there some kind of provisioning magic we're not aware of? I'm quite looking forwards to seeing your reply.

I think you should address this question to Rogers. It is not my reasoning. It is theirs. I don't understand it either. Most if not all 3rd party providers list supported cable modems on their websites. Feel free to check. You can ask them the same question. NONE of them lists this modem. If you read 3rd party provider forums you will see that this question was discussed multiple times. I just wanted to convey the information.

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium
Toronto, ON

3 edits
@ alpovs See Profile
Ok I did look around for more info on the Hitrons... and Yea I guess I'll have to agree with you now; but only on the asumption that Rogers puts their own custom firmware into their builds, thats at least one plausible reason that you could've pointed out, seein as you've also posted in that thread.

On another point, suppose you owned your Hitron, then decided to move to a TPIA network instead - it would stand to reason that your Hitron should still work, since it has the neccessary rogers firmware allready installed. (rentals being a whole other story).

Also theres the concept of say a TPIA serviced client walks into a rogers store and plunks down the $200 or whatever it is and buys a Hitron unit outright - under the assumption its got the rogers custom firmware allready embedded into it. By rights it should still be workable on your TPIA service using the last mile infrastructure. No?

The only other hurdle I'd think would maybe be the authentication on the TPIA side TFTP/servers or link aggregation system. Though I can't see provisioning the units themselves an issue on the rogers side besides the usual delays and protocols that are allready being used currently for what we do have allready.
--
Nine.Zero.Burp.Nine.Six
Twitter = Twizted Zero
Chat = irc.teksavvy.ca

bt

join:2009-02-26
canada
kudos:1
said by TwiztedZero:

@ alpovs See Profile
Ok I did look around for more info on the Hitrons... and Yea I guess I'll have to agree with you now; but only on the asumption that Rogers puts their own custom firmware into their builds, thats at least one plausible reason that you could've pointed out, seein as you've also posted in that thread.

On another point, suppose you owned your Hitron, then decided to move to a TPIA network instead - it would stand to reason that your Hitron should still work, since it has the neccessary rogers firmware allready installed. (rentals being a whole other story).

Also theres the concept of say a TPIA serviced client walks into a rogers store and plunks down the $200 or whatever it is and buys a Hitron unit outright - under the assumption its got the rogers custom firmware allready embedded into it. By rights it should still be workable on your TPIA service using the last mile infrastructure. No?

The only other hurdle I'd think would maybe be the authentication on the TPIA side TFTP/servers or link aggregation system. Though I can't see provisioning the units themselves an issue on the rogers side besides the usual delays and protocols that are allready being used currently for what we do have allready.

You missed a hurdle. Rogers won't put through a provisioning order from a TPIA for that modem.

alpovs

1 edit
reply to TwiztedZero
said by TwiztedZero:

If you read that thread you could have noticed that I think that Rogers does NOT put custom firmware on that modem. Of course that modem would have worked with TPIA but, as bt noted, Rogers will not provision it for TPIA. Simply because they can. AFAIK it is not regulated what kind of modems Rogers should or should not allow on their network, and Rogers dictates the rules.

I just summarized the information that I found on TPIA forums for you. I know it's illogical but that's the current state of affairs. Instead of arguing with me you could read the forums yourselves. It was not my decision not to allow the Hitron for TPIA

EDIT: I was told that it is regulated what kind of modems Rogers approves on their network. Whatever they approve for themselves they have to approve for TPIA. So, theoretically one should be able to use Hitron for TPIA but Rogers does not comply with the regulations. Maybe TwistedZero can force them?

arthurwinslo

join:2012-11-30
Toronto, ON
reply to geokilla
The CGN2 does in fact work on all TPIA's however like stated in posts above, the modem will not be officially provisioned for use any time soon.

Secondly, Hitron creates build specific firmwares for Rogers as well a handful of other providers in North America and Europe that use the 30364 (later renamed to the CGN2). So with that being said, The CGN2-ROG most certainly will have the Rogers specific firmware out of box.

Think of it in the same way the SMCD3GN (which is a Hitron modem) has different model names (as per the provider) such as the SMCD3GN-ROG, SMCD3GN-RES, SMCD3GN-RRR, SMCD3GN-TWC, etc.

The builds differ based on the needs and requests of the individual MSO's.