how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

lolwatpear

join:2012-07-03
Wesley Chapel, FL

1 edit

Hey, can someone help me optimize my setup (for STB's)

I'm just confused about the setups people are using to save money for their service. I currently have two televisions hooked up to two STB's Motorola 7100 I believe. I would like to return the STB's and get one DVR (do i need a multiroom dvr?). I want to hook it up to one tv and have the second tv get separate control with it as well. What do I need to do to make this happen?

I'm confused with all of the devices there are. Keep in mind, I have a 360 already, is that good enough to make this happen? Or, do i need to get a cablecard, or a homerun device?

On a side note, if I do get a new DVR, will I get the newest model, which appears to be the 500gb cisco model?

MagicalPig

join:2008-07-25

OK let me try and sort a few things out:

You have two regular STB's , NO DVR and one XBOX 360.

If you get rid of the two STB's and get a DVR that will just replace one of the STB's losing on of the STB's. It would not be a MRDVR as there is no other STB. So if you replace one of the regular STB's with a DVR you could make it a MRDVR. However this is not a cost savings move. adding any DVR even if switching a regular STB for it will cost more. Even more if you make it a MRDVR. Now as far as the 360. That might save you money depending on your viewing needs. Try the VZ FiOS app and see the channels it has. If it's adequate you can drop a STB.

lolwatpear

Wesley Chapel, FL

"You have two regular STB's , NO DVR and one XBOX 360."

Yes, that's the case. And yes, I realize I wouldn't be saving money, as I phased incorrectly. I mean that I'd being gaining much more functionality for the same cost (~$20).

I do not know if the 360 is good enough in terms of channels for myself. But, how are people using it as a media extender to separately control it as if it were a set top box with every channel. What does this require?

Zero

join:2009-07-01
Collegeville, PA

If your goal is to try and save some money in the long run and add some additional functionality while you're at it (DVR and multi-room DVR) then you might want to at least check out Windows Media Center:

»cetoncorp.com/products/infinitv/

If you watch Ceton's promotional video above you'll get an idea of what you can do with a Media Center PC and Media Center Extenders such as an Xbox 360.

You'll just need to add a CableCARD tuner to your PC (if it's powerful enough, check out the system requirements on Ceton's site to get an idea of PC requirements - and a CableCARD is $4/mo from VZ). It could also potentially be the only monthly rental cost that you're paying VZ instead of each STB at every TV.

The biggest cons with going this route are no access to video on demand or widgets (VZ STB exclusives) and there's the potential for more troubleshooting required if something doesn't work as the PC powers the entire TV experience.

If you're curious about how the interface looks and functions, check out Engadget's review of Windows 7 Media Center - especially the videos in the review (Windows 8 functions the same):
»www.engadget.com/2009/07/27/wind···-review/

lolwatpear

Wesley Chapel, FL

1 edit

said by Zero:

If your goal is to try and save some money in the long run and add some additional functionality while you're at it (DVR and multi-room DVR) then you might want to at least check out Windows Media Center:

»cetoncorp.com/products/infinitv/

If you watch Ceton's promotional video above you'll get an idea of what you can do with a Media Center PC and Media Center Extenders such as an Xbox 360.

You'll just need to add a CableCARD tuner to your PC (if it's powerful enough, check out the system requirements on Ceton's site to get an idea of PC requirements - and a CableCARD is $4/mo from VZ). It could also potentially be the only monthly rental cost that you're paying VZ instead of each STB at every TV.

The biggest cons with going this route are no access to video on demand or widgets (VZ STB exclusives) and there's the potential for more troubleshooting required if something doesn't work as the PC powers the entire TV experience.

If you're curious about how the interface looks and functions, check out Engadget's review of Windows 7 Media Center - especially the videos in the review (Windows 8 functions the same):
»www.engadget.com/2009/07/27/wind···-review/

Thanks, but I don't like the idea of having to run a cablecard 24/7 on a computer. Could you recommend something that can mirror the image on my second television at 1080? Would a slingbox be the best option, or are their cheaper alternates?

Zero

Collegeville, PA

If power usage is a concern your PC doesn't have to be running 24/7 as you can only have it powered on when you're watching TV or recording a show. It could be put into sleep mode when not in use and your Xbox can even wake it up when you want to watch TV. VZ's STBs are always on unless you unplug them (pressing power on a VZ STB just disables the A/V output).

As far as mirroring TVs goes that's a different beast altogether. Most people are looking for individual functionality on their other TVs and not being forced to only watch what's playing on another TV. But if that's your goal you could also simply just run A/V output cables (or just 1 if using HDMI) plus an IR extender cable (to change channels from TV2 if so desired) from the STB at TV1 to TV2. That's definitely your cheapest option and it would do the job. You would still need some kind of cable box at TV1 though whether it's a DVR or not so that's only eliminating 1 box.

Slingbox is typically used more for mobile viewing instead of mirroring - you'd need either a smart TV or another device at TV2 to display the content from the Slingbox. Again, a cable box of some type would still be needed for the Slingbox at TV1.

It really comes down to what you want to be able to do from both TVs and what you hope to gain in the end.

ITALIAN926

join:2003-08-16
kudos:2

Zero, have you tried the IR extender? I was under the impression, and I believe I experienced this once, that if you plug into the IR extender, it disables the IR receiver on the STB front.

HenryFarpolo
Premium
join:2003-08-31
Andover, MA

said by ITALIAN926:

Zero, have you tried the IR extender? I was under the impression, and I believe I experienced this once, that if you plug into the IR extender, it disables the IR receiver on the STB front.

You are correct, the IR receiver on the STB is disabled when you use an extender.

lolwatpear

Wesley Chapel, FL
reply to Zero

said by Zero:

If power usage is a concern your PC doesn't have to be running 24/7 as you can only have it powered on when you're watching TV or recording a show. It could be put into sleep mode when not in use and your Xbox can even wake it up when you want to watch TV. VZ's STBs are always on unless you unplug them (pressing power on a VZ STB just disables the A/V output).

As far as mirroring TVs goes that's a different beast altogether. Most people are looking for individual functionality on their other TVs and not being forced to only watch what's playing on another TV. But if that's your goal you could also simply just run A/V output cables (or just 1 if using HDMI) plus an IR extender cable (to change channels from TV2 if so desired) from the STB at TV1 to TV2. That's definitely your cheapest option and it would do the job. You would still need some kind of cable box at TV1 though whether it's a DVR or not so that's only eliminating 1 box.

Slingbox is typically used more for mobile viewing instead of mirroring - you'd need either a smart TV or another device at TV2 to display the content from the Slingbox. Again, a cable box of some type would still be needed for the Slingbox at TV1.

It really comes down to what you want to be able to do from both TVs and what you hope to gain in the end.

Thanks, I'm going to go with the cablecard (ceton pcie card) route after doing more research. As for what you said, with the xbox waking up the htpc with the cablecard only when you watch tv with WMC, is this automatic, or must you set it up to do so? Does it simply wake up from sleep soon as you activate WMC on the extender? The motherboard I bought seems to have support for S3 state (I really don't know much about the states), which I think is related to what I'm asking..

Shady Bimmer
Premium
join:2001-12-03
Northport, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to lolwatpear

Note that there is also the HDHomeRun Prime that does not require a dedicated PC: »www.silicondust.com/

Ceton and SiliconDust (HDHomeRun) are the two primary players in this space currently, but there may be others (Hauppauge for instance) that are similar.

lolwatpear

Wesley Chapel, FL

said by Shady Bimmer:

Note that there is also the HDHomeRun Prime that does not require a dedicated PC: »www.silicondust.com/

Ceton and SiliconDust (HDHomeRun) are the two primary players in this space currently, but there may be others (Hauppauge for instance) that are similar.

Yeah, I know about the other products, but like the fact I can hide and power the ceton pcie card in a htpc and not have a separate box. I just wish there were pcie alternatives, because it's so expensive outright.

Zero

Collegeville, PA
reply to lolwatpear

said by lolwatpear:

As for what you said, with the xbox waking up the htpc with the cablecard only when you watch tv with WMC, is this automatic, or must you set it up to do so? Does it simply wake up from sleep soon as you activate WMC on the extender? The motherboard I bought seems to have support for S3 state (I really don't know much about the states), which I think is related to what I'm asking..

It is automatic as long as your PC is in sleep mode (S3) and your NIC support WOL (wake on LAN). It'll send a WOL command to your PC and wake it from sleep as you launch WMC on the Xbox. If your PC is too slow at waking up from sleep your Xbox might fail its first connection attempt which will prompt for a reconnect.

said by ITALIAN926:

I had not tried the IR extender so I wasn't aware that it disabled the receiver on the STB - but that makes sense that it would now that I think about it considering the IR extender's typical usage scenario. Thanks for pointing it out.