how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

BrianKB

join:2010-06-13
Brantford, ON

VOIP & Thomson modems?

Trying to setup VOIP with freephoneline (Fongo) & having issues getting it to function properly. They suggest it may be an ISP issue with Thomson modems. Or port 5060 is being blocked which I seriously doubt Teksavvy is doing.

Below is the link & what it says, how do you unbind the SIP protocal in a modem or is that even necessary? I have a Thomson ST585v6 & ST516v6, tried my OBi100 ATA device with both to no avail.

»support.fongo.com/entries/229593···on-modem

If you have a Thomson modem, and are trying to install Fongo Home Phone there may be an incompatibility between the modem and the Fongo Home Phone adapter. This is an issue that must be resolved by your internet provider. Please contact your internet provider to have them 'unbind' the SIP protocol in your modem so that your adapter can function properly.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
said by BrianKB:

They suggest it may be an ISP issue with Thomson modems. Or port 5060 is being blocked which I seriously doubt Teksavvy is doing.

Some ISPs provide firmware that blocks port 5060 in the DSL modem itself. Of course you are right, not Teksavvy.

Did you get your modems from Teksavvy?
--
electronicsguru.ca

BrianKB

Brantford, ON
reply to BrianKB
Both were purchased new at different times from Acme in Kitchener. I updated the firmware on the ST516 to version 7.4.4.7 which works fine. Still need to update the ST585 firmware, its running version 6.2.15.5

»www.speedtouch.ca/typesearch.php

random

@teksavvy.com
reply to BrianKB
>how do you unbind the SIP protocal in a modem or is that even necessary?

Run modem as (a dumb) bridge and not as a router. Use a separate router to handle the PPPoE.

BrianKB

Brantford, ON
Thanks random.

That actually makes sense & appears it may well be my only option for VOIP. I really didn't want to have to go through all that configuration. I have 12 devices needing Internet connections, I also have the hardware to do.

That means I would have to alter my current setup to look like below, correct it wrong.

1) ST516 (bridged mode, single port), then attach 4 port Gigabit switch to ST516.

2) Attach Linksys 4 port WLAN router (WRT54GL) to one switch port & configure.

3) Attach VOIP ATA device to another switch port & configure.

Makes for an interesting headache & I was trying to cut back my hydro usage, not increase it by plugging in even more devices, lol!

Scycotic

join:2012-12-10
I think you'd have to put the ATA behind the router. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't believe you get 2 external IPs for DSL.

Cloneman

join:2002-08-29
Montreal
kudos:4
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Bell Fibe
said by Scycotic:

I think you'd have to put the ATA behind the router. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't believe you get 2 external IPs for DSL.

You can get multiple IPs (if you're on a dynamic service) but each device would have to establish a PPPoE connection, I don't think that's something most VoIP ATA 's can do(you'd need a 2nd router as well).

VoIP is supposed to be able to function behind a router/nat, it shouldn't "need" a dedicated IP address. There are some subtleties with config though... registration times, port forwarding etc.. there appears to be some disagreement on these issues.

perhaps you'll find someone in the DSLr voip subforum (who isn't moron repeating what they've heard somewhere else just because it works for them)

You also haven't described your problem... are you have intermittent problems?

b3l

join:2009-02-28
Toronto, ON
reply to BrianKB
Are you trying to get the softphone going or have you paid $50 for the config file?

BrianKB

Brantford, ON
said by b3l:

Are you trying to get the softphone going or have you paid $50 for the config file?

I paid the $50 for the unlock key.

BrianKB

Brantford, ON
reply to Scycotic
said by Scycotic:

Thats correct, I must have the ATA attached to the router.

BrianKB

Brantford, ON
reply to BrianKB
I realized while making dinner the first setup I posted was incorrect.

I only have 1 external IP from Teksavvy, as Cloneman said all devices need PPPoE otherwise they can't make an Internet connection. Including VOIP which still has to route through Teksavvy, which means being attached to the router.

1) ST516 (bridged mode, single port)

2) Attach Linksys WRT54GL router to ST516

3) Attach VOIP ATA device to WRT45GL & configure ports to open (this time without modem firewall causing problems, I hope)

4) Attach Gigabit switch to WRT45GL (for additional devices)

Now I just need to make the changes & see if the VOIP will work correctly, will post the results later tonight or tomorrow.

b3l

Toronto, ON

2 edits
With all the runaround it makes me wonder if they will be shutting down the freebie. Have you tried this to unbind SIP? I don't know why they can't give proper instructions. Even if you do this, I really don't think this will solve your problem... it didn't for me.

1-open a Command Prompt window.
- Navigate: Start > All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt.
-or Start > Run > type 'cmd' into the box > press enter

2-type 'telnet' followed by the IP address of the MODEM (default: 192.168.1.254) then press the Enter key.

3-The login username is "Administrator" not admin and Password is blank if not set.

4-type >connection unbind application=SIP port=5060 Press Enter
5-type >saveall Press Enter
6-type >exit Press Enter

Now do a full reboot with modem & computer.

I would probably do the above with the ATA disconnected.

random

@teksavvy.com
reply to BrianKB
>3) Attach VOIP ATA device to WRT45GL & configure ports to open (this time without modem firewall causing problems, I hope)

There is no configuration required as the modem opens from behind the router. Most firewalls doesn't block out going traffic.

For people that do not understand how SIP works. »voipdito.com/en/blog/SIP+NAT+Traversa

BrianKB

Brantford, ON
reply to b3l
said by b3l:

With all the runaround it makes me wonder if they will be shutting down the freebie. Have you tried this to unbind SIP? I don't know why they can't give proper instructions. Even if you do this, I really don't think this will solve your problem... it didn't for me.

1-open a Command Prompt window.
- Navigate: Start > All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt.
-or Start > Run > type 'cmd' into the box > press enter

2-type 'telnet' followed by the IP address of the router (default: 192.168.1.254) then press the Enter key.

3-The login username is "Administrator" not admin and Password is blank if not set.

4-type >connection unbind application=SIP port=5060 Press Enter
5-type >saveall Press Enter
6-type >exit Press Enter

Now do a full reboot with modem & computer.

I would probably do the above with the ATA disconnected.

The business model their using will enable them to keep the free phone service going for a very long time. Cost me $50 for my config info, another $49 for the ATA device & I have free phone service all across Canada.

Even if they decide in a couple years to end it by charging a fee. No biggie there's dozens of VOIP providers that cost around $75 annually for North America wide phone service. I got the bandwidth may as well utilize it.

That won't unbind SIP since Telnet (as a service) is already disabled in all Windows operating systems by default.

Besides your PCs operating system has nothing to with your modem or routers operation.

BrianKB

Brantford, ON
reply to random
said by random :

>3) Attach VOIP ATA device to WRT45GL & configure ports to open (this time without modem firewall causing problems, I hope)

There is no configuration required as the modem opens from behind the router. Most firewalls doesn't block out going traffic.

For people that do not understand how SIP works. »voipdito.com/en/blog/SIP+NAT+Traversa

When the modem is in routed mode there is a built in firewall called Intrusion Detection on Thomson modems, which you can't turn off. Switch to bridged mode & the firewall (Intrusion Detection) is disabled in the modem.

My modems logs show udp flood errors each time I tried to call my ATA device from my cell phone. Out going calls from my ATA work perfectly. Its the modems built in Intrusion Detection, that I believe is blocking the incoming calls & preventing the VOIP service from working properly.

I may or may not have to open the ports for the ATA device in the router (udp5060-5061, udp13000-13001). I'll find out shortly, just finished updating the firmware on my WRT45GL.

b3l

Toronto, ON
reply to BrianKB
You are right, it has nothing to do with operating system. The instructions are for telneting into your modem to unbind SIP in modem. With your hardware, the easy way to accomplish this is to directly connect the modem to computer, follow the instructions, then reconnect router, etc.

BTW, I also have the speedtouch and wrt54gl.

b3l

Toronto, ON
Oops, i see the error that was confusing... I said to telnet into the router... but I meant modem. Will change that in my post now.

random

@teksavvy.com
reply to BrianKB
>there is a built in firewall called Intrusion Detection on Thomson modems, which you can't turn off.

Only if you haven't read the CLI manual...

»forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/827589 >Hi, all i want to know is, is there anyway to disable the intrusion detection on my speed touch."
ids
config state=disabled
saveall
exit

BrianKB

Brantford, ON
reply to BrianKB
Well it would appear the VOIP problem is the direct result of the Thomsom modems built in Intrusion Detection (firewall) function that can't be disabled, accept by using the modem in bridged mode.

Let me explain, the Thomson modems or modem/router combo all have a Firewall & a Intrusion Detection feature. The Firewall can be disabled through the web browser setup interface. Intrusion Detection can only be disabled by setting up the device in bridged mode, with DHCP disabled.

Just connected my OBi100 ATA to the WRT45GL, within 25 seconds I am making out going & incoming calls without a problem.

Checked my OBi100 system status & it shows as registered (connected with freephoneline servers). These ATA devices have a setup page you access with your web browser just like modems & routers.

Now I need to inform the (freephoneline) Fongo support people.

b3l

Toronto, ON
reply to random
Thanks!

BrianKB

Brantford, ON
reply to random
said by random :

>there is a built in firewall called Intrusion Detection on Thomson modems, which you can't turn off.

Only if you haven't read the CLI manual...

»forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/827589 >Hi, all i want to know is, is there anyway to disable the intrusion detection on my speed touch."

ids
config state=disabled
saveall
exit

Tried that & it doesn't work, I actually have the CLI reference manual for the ST516v6 its available here.

»www.speedtouch.ca/firmware.php

Unless someone has actually been able to do that, I'd say its a myth that keeps getting spread around. At best it might work until the next time the modem is reset.

The firmware itself would need to be modified then reapplied to the device for that to have any actual affect. There is no available option string in the firmware that allows for a setting change to the Intrusion Detection feature, its hard coded.

b3l

Toronto, ON