obeythelaw
Premium
join:2003-04-16
Bayonne, NJ
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
·Verizon FiOS

confused about fios tv packages

My sister had told me that Fios is now available in the neighborhood that we live in. I checked online and sure enough it now says it is available. A fios guy had even come to the door to solicit.
Anyway, my sister was thinking of switching. After thinking about it, I am thinking of switching now as well. I would say about $1,300 per year. Right now I have high speed internet with my cable company at $54.00 a month, vonage at $37.00 a month and directv at $100 a month. According to verizon's offer I can get the triple play for $79.99 a month. I realize that includes only one tv (i have two) and does't include their crazy taxes and fees.
Anyway, i compared the packages on their website and noticed that it seems like they offer some channels in the lower tier that thye don't offer in the higher tier and some channels that they offer in standard def they don't offer in high def unless you subscribe to a higher package. Is this correct? With directv or even cable, if the channel is available in high def and you subscribe to the channel, you would normally get the sd and hd feeds.
Also, I need the whole home dvr thing and it works great with directv now. Can anyone comment on fios' whole home dvr? Also, with directv I can get Pandora through the box. Can you do the same with Fios?

guppy_fish
Premium
join:2003-12-09
Lakeland, FL
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
Before you even think about FIOS, you need to find out what it will cost to leave DTV, they have some of the highest ETF fees in the business. It cost me over 300 bucks to cut of DTV, fortunately, I was able to get Verizon to give me all sorts of credits to cover allot of it, but that was back in 2009.

And, whatever the saving you get for your first year with FIOS, look to the time after the teaser rates expire, with a whole house DVR, second STB and the lowest Triple package with triple play, regular pricing will be North of 160 month.

I have Verizon as nothing comes close to their internet and TV is good, but really no better than cable offerings, I will never, ever go back to DTV ...

miataman

join:2010-10-27
Chelmsford, MA
kudos:1
reply to obeythelaw
...not to mention, the pkg price does NOT include equipment rental fees.
--
"My hat, my cane, Jeeves".

obeythelaw
Premium
Bayonne, NJ
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
·Verizon FiOS
reply to obeythelaw
Well, I called up Directv and because I do have 3 months left on what what a 24 month contract, I'm look at about 75.00 since it was prorated.
Right now I pay $191.00 a month for a basic directv package, internet through my cable company and phone service through vonage. The verizon fios package is $79.99 for the first year and $89.99 for the second year. I already priced it out and with the taxes and fees my first year will be $95.00 a month. Still saving $1,000.00 a year. Even if it goes up to $160.00 a month, I'm still ahead of the game after the 2nd year. I'm thinking I'm going to go for it.
My internet speeds have gotten pretty bad lately especially in the evening. I'd like to see what the whole Fiber to the house thing is about. My picture quality isn't bad with directv but I do know somone who has fios and the pq looks better on SD stations and I feel just as good or a bit better on hd. Not to mention he gets 50 down and 25 up. I get 15 down and 2 up for $54.00 a month!

obeythelaw
Premium
Bayonne, NJ
reply to obeythelaw
Also, I will be getting one HD box and the whole home dvr. Can I hook an esata drive up to the box for additional storage capacity?

bsangs

join:2002-08-21
Montclair, NJ
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
said by obeythelaw:

Also, I will be getting one HD box and the whole home dvr. Can I hook an esata drive up to the box for additional storage capacity?

Yes, you can hook up an external drive, assuming they give you a 7xxx series DVR, which as a new customer I'm pretty certain that you will.

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA
reply to miataman
Since the promotion offers a free year of whole home dvr service does that mean That box has no rental fees or will he still be paying for two boxes for the first year?

obeythelaw
Premium
Bayonne, NJ
My order summary shows that the whole home dvr is waived for 12 months. I'm only pay $6.99 for the one HD box for the year.

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA
Thanks, i was also looking at the deal didnt mean to hijack your thread tho. the 79 looked a little weak as far as channel selection so im looking at the 89 dollar one. Did you find out your final cost on the 79. with fees and box rents?

IanR

join:2001-03-22
Fort Mill, SC
reply to obeythelaw
I am curious why right now you pay so much for your telephone service? $37 pm to Vonage? A provider such as Voipo costs around $7 pm.
When calculating the cost of any cable services you need to do the math on what it will cost when the initital deal runs off.

obeythelaw
Premium
Bayonne, NJ
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
·Verizon FiOS
I have Vonage for my business and I got the home phone which started off as $15.00 a month for a year then it went up with all the taxes after the first year to about $35.00 a month. For me, the 2 year commitment is fine. After the 2 years, I can always check out cable or directv again at their "new" subscriber deals and get back in.

bsangs

Montclair, NJ
Have you thought about suspending your Directv service instead of canceling outright? This could give you some time to test drive FiOS, see if you like it enough to keep it.

elefante72

join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY
reply to obeythelaw
The Whole home DVR after year 1 is like $20 a month afterwards (at least in my area). I turned mine back in and only use a cable card.

The pricing packages difference are usually only the internet and TV package.

TV packages (base):

Select HD (no sports) - have this one.
Prime HD ($79)
Extreme HD (more sports, etc, more business channels, more stuss)

$79 comes with 50/25 internet which should suffice anyone..

Now you can save $16 a month for the 2-play if you nix the phone since it cost $10 for the phone and approx $6 in taxes (at least in NY). If you nix the phone (and pay extra $16), then the DVR is NOT free, so you will have to pay for it, but that is only good for 1 year, and this is a 2 year contract.

The Tivo ROI is better here, because you can always resell it it you need to, and they also have the stream which will get to your second TV.

Verizon bundles their offers to coerce you to get the phone by boxes, even if you don't need it. If you can ditch the boxes and do your own thing (Tivo, W7MC, etc) you can get rid of the phone. This also makes it easier to switch away from FIOS if you have to, so I would say keep Vonage and then go to a lower-cost provider after).

Also, Prime, Extreme have RSN fees which are a few bucks per year.

The only other fees are franchise fees which are total $3.

billhere

join:2011-10-21
Santa Monica, CA
Reviews:
·GoDaddy Hosting
reply to bsangs
When I switched from DirecTV to FiOS I suspended the former account. After two weeks I cancelled DirecTV.

Besides saving money, I got much better SD picture, much larger choice of VOD, a bigger DVR hard disk (500 gb vs 300 gb), and access to local community channels with FiOS.

obeythelaw
Premium
Bayonne, NJ
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
·Verizon FiOS
said by billhere:

When I switched from DirecTV to FiOS I suspended the former account. After two weeks I cancelled DirecTV.

Besides saving money, I got much better SD picture, much larger choice of VOD, a bigger DVR hard disk (500 gb vs 300 gb), and access to local community channels with FiOS.

Bigger DVR hard disk? I was reading and it appears that the DVR on Fios is very small but that you can add an esata drive.

bsangs

Montclair, NJ
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
He must have had an older DVR. The Directv Genie (HR34) has a 1 TB hard drive and the HR24 has a 500 GB hard drive. You can add esata drives to those as well.

The most current FiOS DVR has a 500 GB hard drive and I believe some of the older models have been retrofitted with 500 GB drives as well.

tnsprin

join:2003-07-23
Bradenton, FL
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to obeythelaw
said by obeythelaw:

said by billhere:

Bigger DVR hard disk? I was reading and it appears that the DVR on Fios is very small but that you can add an esata drive.

Use to be 160gb but is now 500gb.

obeythelaw
Premium
Bayonne, NJ
Is the "DVR" the same as the whole home DVR? Or are there different specs for the whole home DVR on Fios?

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:32
said by obeythelaw:

Is the "DVR" the same as the whole home DVR?

Same physical box. Just a software flag that is turned on for the MR-DVR.
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

marc3565

join:2009-10-08
reply to obeythelaw
DirectTV was going to charge me a $120 termination fee.. I suspended the account for 6 months. then renewed the suspension for another 6 months. Then I cancelled service. They sent me packaging to return my STB and I was never asked to pay the fee..

obeythelaw
Premium
Bayonne, NJ
reply to obeythelaw
The reason I was asking is that Verizon's website says that you can record 20 hours of high def programming with the DVR. With a 500 gig box, I would assume you can record more than 20 hours of HD programs. Am I wrong?

guppy_fish
Premium
Lakeland, FL
20 hour HD is for the 7216 ( 160gb ) DVR which is what I have and got when I joined FIOS in 2009

obeythelaw
Premium
Bayonne, NJ
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
·Verizon FiOS
reply to marc3565
said by marc3565:

DirectTV was going to charge me a $120 termination fee.. I suspended the account for 6 months. then renewed the suspension for another 6 months. Then I cancelled service. They sent me packaging to return my STB and I was never asked to pay the fee..

So with suspending the account, you won't pay any monthly charges at all?

obeythelaw
Premium
Bayonne, NJ
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
·Verizon FiOS
reply to guppy_fish
said by guppy_fish:

20 hour HD is for the 7216 ( 160gb ) DVR which is what I have and got when I joined FIOS in 2009

I really hope I get the large 500 gig box.

guppy_fish
Premium
Lakeland, FL
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
»support.directv.com/app/answers/···-service

It seems pointless to do so as it extends your contract terms, see above.

JPL
Premium
join:2007-04-04
Downingtown, PA
kudos:4
said by guppy_fish:

»support.directv.com/app/answers/···-service

It seems pointless to do so as it extends your contract terms, see above.

Yeah, it used to be that even if your service was suspended, your contract time kept ticking away. They changed that policy many years ago, though. When I left DirecTV in 2007, I had some 12 months on my contract. I suspended my DirecTV account for something like 6 weeks after getting FiOS hooked up. When I cancelled my account, I still has 12 months on contract.

Although it seems that DirecTV had issues in determining remaining contract times, for some reason. My contract should have been 14 months - not 12. I even mentioned that to them when I cancelled (I'm honest, what can I say?). They refused to hear it, so I let it go. Then when I cancelled, the rep I talked to told me to hold onto my DVRs in case I wanted to come back. I knew that wasn't right, so I pressed him about it, and he insisted that I keep the DVRs. I knew that wasn't right, so the next day I pinged someone else at DirecTV, and found out that the rep was wrong - I needed to send the boxes back, and I requested return kits. I needed 2. They sent me 1. I had to request a second to avoid a non-return fee on my DVRs.

Anyway - point is - their policy changed a long time ago. And guppy, if you didn't get hit with an ETF even as late as 2009, something in their system likely screwed up and you lucked out.

guppy_fish
Premium
Lakeland, FL
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
said by JPL:

And guppy, if you didn't get hit with an ETF even as late as 2009, something in their system likely screwed up and you lucked out.

Oh I got hit, to the tune of 300 bucks. And now all equipment ( well stb/dvr) is leased, regardless of how long you have there service and must be returned when you cancel