Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

byron
Premium
join:2004-06-16
Brooklyn, NY

12 month DVR promo w/ a TiVo?

If I want to bring my own DVRs (TiVo Premier units) is there any way to apply the $20 /mo credit towards my CableCards. Seems silly that by declining the Verizon DVR and using my own DVRs that I would actually be paying more.

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
join:2006-12-28
Allendale, NJ
kudos:1
No you cannot.

byron
Premium
Brooklyn, NY
said by Jackarino:

No you cannot.

bummer. thnx.

elefante72

join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY
Yes. New FCC rules.

Pay only for equipment you have. Your operator must give you a discount on any packages that include the price of a set-top box if you choose to use your own CableCARD-enabled device. FCC Rule 76.1205(b)(5).

If you want the specifics:

For any bundled offer combining
service and an operator-supplied navigation device into a single fee, including any bundled offer providing a discount for the purchase of multiple
services, such provider shall make such
offer available without discrimination
to any customer that owns a navigation device, and, to the extent the customer uses such navigation device in
lieu of the operator-supplied equipment
included in that bundled offer, shall
further offer such customer a discount
from such offer equal to an amount not
less than the monthly rental fee reasonably allocable to the lease of the
operator-supplied navigation device included with that offer. For purposes of
this section, in determining what is
‘‘reasonably allocable,’’ the Commission will consider in its evaluation
whether the allocation is consistent
with one or more of the following factors:
(i) An allocation determination approved by a local, state, or Federal
government entity;
(ii) The monthly lease fee as stated
on the cable system rate card for the
navigation device when offered by the
cable operator separately from a bundled offer; and
(iii) The actual cost of the navigation
device amortized over a period of no
more than 60 months.
(c) A cable operator shall not provide
misleading information regarding the
ability of navigation devices to access
switched digital channels

byron
Premium
Brooklyn, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Time Warner Cable
said by elefante72:

Yes. New FCC rules.

Pay only for equipment you have. Your operator must give you a discount on any packages that include the price of a set-top box if you choose to use your own CableCARD-enabled device. FCC Rule 76.1205(b)(5).

woah, nice. the online ordering system definitely doesn't account for this. is this currently in effect? if so, i'm guessing the best way to approach is to order online (to get free activation, etc..) and then call customer care after the installation is complete?

tnsprin

join:2003-07-23
Bradenton, FL
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
said by byron:

said by elefante72:

Yes. New FCC rules.

woah, nice. the online ordering system definitely doesn't account for this. is this currently in effect? if so, i'm guessing the best way to approach is to order online (to get free activation, etc..) and then call customer care after the installation is complete?

Not sure there are any packages that do include a STB in the price of the package.

elefante72

join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY
Yes as of 2011. Also in this ruling was the "self-install" and M-card rule which forced providers to allow CC self-install, among other things. If they didn't pass the M-card rule, forget about multi-tuner DVR for third parties.

»www.fcc.gov/guides/cablecard-kno···r-rights

OP was discussing the DVR which is an "operator-supplied navigation device". The FCC summarized as a STB, however a DVR falls under this provision also.

If I recall I signed up electronically first, then called because lets face it, the operators rarely enter info correctly. Once you get your ticket # you can call them. Make sure you get everything in writing. Verizon is pretty good about that. PRINT out the original order just in case. I flipped to Time Warner for 3 days early this year (to put the screws to Verizon), and they tried to shaft me out of fees and I brought my own cable modem. I cancelled and returned the equipment within 2 days. The next month they took another $90 out of my account. I called furious and they told me that they never cancelled because I didn't turn in all equipment. I asked them which, and lo and behold it was MY cable modem. I faxed all info over, and they refunded every penny, including the original. It took them 6 weeks tho (and only one day to take my $$$). So my point is, keep ALL documentation in case the magic billing genie decides to twiddle some bits. Assume their systems will not gracefully handle this.

It took me a few calls because when I signed up I was in the same place except I use W7MC instead of Tivo, however same CC. So it depends if you want to invest the time to save the extra $$$. You give them the FCC sections and they will have to comply.

Let me know how it works out. I find Verizon very good to work with (I have been a customer since the 90's--obviously not FIOS) and as far as telcos go very good.

PJL

join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
elefante72, I put on my lawyer hat.

Your FCC quote says "...For any bundled offer combining service and an operator-supplied navigation device into a single fee, including any bundled offer providing a discount for the purchase of multiple services, such provider shall make such..."

As I understand it, a FiOS bundle never "combines service and an operator-supplied navigation device into a single fee." Verizon's STB (DVR or other) charges are always separate from the actual bundle, are not included in the contracts for the bundle, can be changed out at any time without penalty, etc. So I don't think this applies. The DVR promotion is a DVR credit, not the bundle, even though the credit goes to the bundle price. Very fine point of difference I think. I could be wrong, but I suspect Verizon has some pretty smart lawyers who approve this stuff.