how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

tempnexus
Premium
join:1999-08-11
Boston, MA

About to move to a FIOS supported Neighborhood Few Q.

I am about to move to a neighborhood that supports FIOS in their buildings and I have choice between FIOS and COX Cable. I am currently a COMCAST customer but will to abandon them.
I care more about internet speed than TV/Phone. So I was wondering if there are any deals for Internet in terms of new subscribers. I do have an old chepo $12 a month Verizon landline here but I will be abandoning that when I move (only reason for it was the alarm system required a landline).
The apartments I will move into are in:
Alexandria, VA

So I am looking to get 50+ Mbps, with a sweet spot of 75 or 150. I am currently a 50 Mbps subscriber with Comcast but I am looking into the 75 and 150 tiers.

What are some deals with 75 or 150 plus cable or just the internet. Any specials that might not be listed on the website?
How does FIOS compare to COX cable?

davidplatt

join:2003-02-13
Herndon, VA
My Triple Play with FiOS (excluding premium channels, set top boxes and cable cards) is $139.99 per month. That is FiOS Digital Voice (unlimited local and domestic long distance), Quantum Internet at 75/35, and FiOS TV Ultimate HD. With a Multi Room DVR, HD STB, 2 cable cards (for Ceton PC tuners), HBO and the Movie Completer Package my total bill including taxes is $169.99.

When I had DirecTV I was paying $157.00 per month just for TV. Vonage added $33 per month and 30/5 FiOS Internet added $55 per month.

Based on my experience with DirecTV for 16 years and Cox (Media General) cable prior to that, there is no comparison. I had Cox Internet for 4 months before I got FiOS Internet and I had nothing but trouble the entire 4 months. Cox offers Cox Internet Ultimate for $99 per month with 100Mbps download - they don't specify upload but I'm sure it's no where near 35 Mbps upload. For $20 more a month I can upgrade to 150/65 internet. 75/35 is plenty fast for me.

I can't imagine me ever signing up with Cox again. I found their service to be terrible and technical support and problem resolution was abysmal. When they hooked up the internet they connected the wrong cable to my house and tried to charge me $79 for a service call to hook up the right cable. I had them for 4 months when I switched from DSL but I had them before DSL and it took 4 months to get them to look at piss-poor internet performance (we are talking 150Kbps download and 50Kbps upload on a plan that was supposed to be 1.5Mpbs down and 192k up). Turned out to be a faulty card in their pod in the neighborhood. The VP here in Fairfax could not understand why they ignored my complaints for 4 months. Then they offered me a credit - 1 month service credit. I told them to forget it and switched to DSL.

birdfeedr
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI
kudos:9
reply to tempnexus
said by tempnexus:

I care more about internet speed than TV/Phone.

One commonly reported VZ problem deals with game lag and youtube video buffering. OTOH, congestion and slower speeds is common on cable systems. Not specifically pointing out COX or Alexandria area. So depending on what you use internet for determines technical factors for choice.

For VZ's price, what you see online is the pricing for new customers, and except for something you may get as a deal sweetener that shows up from time to time, that's pretty much what you can count on. I've never shopped for COX, although I would consider it if they had a free installation.

patt2k

join:2009-01-16
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
said by birdfeedr:

said by tempnexus:

I care more about internet speed than TV/Phone.

One commonly reported VZ problem deals with game lag and youtube video buffering. OTOH, congestion and slower speeds is common on cable systems. Not specifically pointing out COX or Alexandria area. So depending on what you use internet for determines technical factors for choice.

For VZ's price, what you see online is the pricing for new customers, and except for something you may get as a deal sweetener that shows up from time to time, that's pretty much what you can count on. I've never shopped for COX, although I would consider it if they had a free installation.

game lag? could that be why when I play BO2 on steam I usually am the one with lowest pings? as of youtube buffering yes that is between many isps , sometimes I have to use VPN in order to use youtube but again I don't use youtube that much.

that is 75/35 tier