zichrona livracha
Premium
join:2002-08-04
Midwest
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Callcentric

Keeping the classics running in Cuba

Some of the work they do to keep 'em running is quite interesting, if not amazing.

What embargo? they have ingenuity and the black market.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-aALD7XVls

--
Buckle Up. It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car.

LocutusBorg
Premium
join:2005-12-25
Revere, MA

I love that they all drives cars from the 50-70s.
Im heading there this summer. hope its as nice as the description

EGeezer
zichrona livracha
Premium
Midwest
Reviews:
·Callcentric

said by LocutusBorg:

How did you manage to get permission?

I think it would be fun to see some ball games and hear some Cuban music and see some historic sites.

If the beaches are all like Guantanamo's, I think I'll pass on those. Rocks and crabs ...
--

LocutusBorg
Premium
Revere, MA
reply to EGeezer

no permission. my sisters bro in law is a canadian attorney. flying down in a private jet and "supposedly" landing at a private airfield that the client owns. just have to go to toronto to catch the palne

LocutusBorg
Premium
Revere, MA
reply to EGeezer

said by EGeezer:

said by LocutusBorg:

I think it would be fun to see some ball games and hear some Cuban music and see some historic sites.

If the beaches are all like Guantanamo's, I think I'll pass on those. Rocks and crabs ...

I blanked on the baseball thanks. although i would have noticed while i was there. im really interested in the food. that is the major reason im going

EGeezer
zichrona livracha
Premium
Midwest
Reviews:
·Callcentric

said by LocutusBorg:

im really interested in the food. that is the major reason im going

Be sure to have some of their coffee - and Bring back recipes
--

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
kudos:1
reply to EGeezer

It really is too bad we have this silly embargo.

Hell I bet if some cubans could offload their classics here they would make a lot of money in their view of things. I would not be shocked if there are american collectors salivating at the huge classics collection that is Cuba.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

EGeezer
zichrona livracha
Premium
Midwest
Reviews:
·Callcentric

They say the embargo is working because Castro will be gone in a few years

I agree, it's counter-productive to our interests. Give them a taste of free market trade. There's a lot of money to be made on both sides.

Besides, I like Cuban cigars, rum, cooking and music. Unfortunately, I have to go to Canada to get the first two.
--

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
Mullica Hill, NJ

I bet whoever has the capital to start a high speed ferry service from Key West to Cuba will be very successful if the embargo goes away. afaik Cuba is only like 90mi from Florida, one of those high speed Catamarans could likely get to Cuba pretty darn fast.
--

CKizer
Premium
join:2003-01-29
Tijeras, NM
kudos:2
reply to EGeezer

Sad really. Thousands of cruise ship sailings a year depart Miami and visit islands/ports all around Cuba. Then again, lucky Cuba.

Boricua
Premium
join:2002-01-26
Sacramuerto

1 recommendation

reply to EGeezer

Click for full size
(00_0G_D6_The-cuban-beach-of-Varadero-on-a-beautiful-day-large.jpg)
Click for full size
One of my best friends is from Cuba and he tells me a little about the island. Once they open up, I will (hopefully have the money) to get down there and check out the island.

said by EGeezer:

I seriously doubt the beaches are like that. When I went to Puerto Rico last year, the southeast side of the island (Arroyo) is not a beachie area. There are signs that even say so.
--
Illegal aliens have always been a problem in the United States. Ask any Indian. Robert Orben

bryanviper

join:2002-10-12
Toronto, CAN
reply to LocutusBorg

said by LocutusBorg:

said by EGeezer:

said by LocutusBorg:

I blanked on the baseball thanks. although i would have noticed while i was there. im really interested in the food. that is the major reason im going

If you want true cuban food make sure you eat OFF the resort as the food on the resort tend to be more "North American" and no where near actual cuban food.

I ate off the resort last time I was there, went into town with a cuban actually and ate in a small town and the food was amazing, similar to the european cooking I'm used to.
--
»www.MaximumRepair.ca
Computer Repair/Upgrades In Toronto.

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
Mullica Hill, NJ
reply to EGeezer

I Think as restrictions ease we will see more people just violating the existing embargo. As it is now if Cubans can buy cars legally again(saw something about that on the BBC.) once their economy picks up the US automakers will be skirting the embargo via their EU divisions. I mean if GM was not partly government owned They could ship from Opel factories in Germany I bet and not be subject to embargo rules as Opel is not in the US.
--

fartness
computersoc dot com
Premium
join:2003-03-25
Look Outside
reply to EGeezer

Had Cuban food in Little Havana (Miami) last week. Wouldn't mind trying to get to Cuba through Canada one of these days. I did a little reading up on it, seems like a little bit of a process on not getting caught on re-entry into the USSA.

Boricua
Premium
join:2002-01-26
Sacramuerto

said by fartness:

Had Cuban food in Little Havana (Miami) last week. Wouldn't mind trying to get to Cuba through Canada one of these days. I did a little reading up on it, seems like a little bit of a process on not getting caught on re-entry into the USSA.

You can go through Mexico as well.
--
Illegal aliens have always been a problem in the United States. Ask any Indian. Robert Orben