spc
Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

BlackNGold29

join:2008-07-08
Bethel Park, PA

Verizon rep told me 25/15 isn't enough for youtube videos

I mentioned to them that I've been having issues lately with youtube videos freezing a lot. They said that my 25/15 that I currently have isn't enough and I need to upgrade to the quantum internet. Is 25/15 now to slow to just play basic videos? Videos on other sites are playing just fine for me. Just curious about your thoughts on this. Thanks.

wmcbrine
213 251 145 96

join:2002-12-30
Laurel, MD
kudos:1

No, of course 25/15 is enough; the rep is full of it. I dunno why YouTube sucks so much on Fios -- maybe it does elsewhere, too? I dunno -- but that's not the reason.
--
09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

MagicalPig

join:2008-07-25
reply to BlackNGold29

Yeah that is total poppycock. If you are up to it I would complain up the chain to VZ. That was a blatant attempt to upsell you on false pretenses. Might get a credit.

PoloDude
Premium,VIP
join:2006-03-29
Northport, NY
kudos:3
reply to BlackNGold29

»Horrible youtube speeds

verizonsuck

@verizon.net
reply to BlackNGold29

That is freakin hilarious. Please don't believe their bs.

blue_trooper

join:2007-04-17
Exton, PA
reply to wmcbrine

said by wmcbrine:

I dunno why YouTube sucks so much on Fios -- maybe it does elsewhere, too?

YouTube sucks everywhere when it's busy.

Greg2600

join:2008-05-20
Belleville, NJ
reply to BlackNGold29

I watch YT fine on my cell phone and that's not close to 25 or 15!

navyson

join:2011-07-15
Upper Marlboro, MD
reply to blue_trooper

said by blue_trooper:

said by wmcbrine:

Not true. Youtube (even 1080P) plays perfectly when I am work as well as on my cellphone. My comcast friends have no problems with it.

There is currently a problem with the Verizon to Google servers and thus, lots of problems even those with 150mbps connections.

billhere

join:2011-10-21
Santa Monica, CA

I have 25/15 (speed test measures 30/30 with wired connection) and have no problem watching YouTube with my AppleTV.

My Internet provider is Verizon FiOS. I haven't used the FiOS TV YouTube app recently since I seem to get a better picture through AppleTV.

blue_trooper

join:2007-04-17
Exton, PA
reply to navyson

said by navyson:

Not true. Youtube (even 1080P) plays perfectly when I am work as well as on my cellphone.

Works great at work for me too.

Millions of kids are at school.

PJL

join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA
kudos:2
reply to navyson

The Youtube issues seem to be location dependent. I have absolutely no issue here in Southern California.

isp10002

join:2012-10-24
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·Dish Network
·Verizon Wireless..

1 recommendation

reply to BlackNGold29

Lol reps are retarded and dont know what they are talking about and they were given instructions to make more money and not care about the customer. I have 3 mbps dsl and i can stream 1080p Videos on Youtube. I dont know why people are having trouble with youtube on fiber.

brianiscool

join:2000-08-16
Tampa, FL
kudos:1
reply to BlackNGold29

Yeah, it is a shame Youtube is slow with Verzion. At least the bandwidth is cheap.

seaquake
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-23
Millersville, MD
reply to BlackNGold29

Well, 50/25 must not be sufficient, either. That's what I've got and I have the same freaking problem. Go to any other streaming video site and I have no issues.

Maybe you need to upgrade to 300 symmetrical? /sarcasm

JoeSchmoe007
Premium
join:2003-01-19
Brooklyn, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
·Callcentric
·Verizon FiOS

said by seaquake:

Well, 50/25 must not be sufficient, either. That's what I've got and I have the same freaking problem. Go to any other streaming video site and I have no issues.

LOL

brutus

join:2003-12-16
Tampa, FL
reply to seaquake

said by seaquake:

Yeah my 75/35 isn't enough either. I keep hoping they will upgrade me to 4G since it works fine on my Verizon cell phone.

Rattler

join:2001-04-13
Havertown, PA
reply to BlackNGold29

Horsehockey!!!

I have 25/25 and Youtube generally sucks on my PCs but the Youtube app on my Samsung BD player works just fine on HD content - consistently - and it's connected to the router wirelessly... It may hang during one out of fifteen to twenty plays but a restart fixes the problem.
--
Never raise your hands to your kids. It leaves your groin unprotected. -- Red Buttons

join:2013-04-08
reply to BlackNGold29

25/15 should be double the speed you need to watch an HD Youtube video if not triple the speed. That 25/15 is 5-8 times faster than normal content. The person you talked too has no idea what they are talking about. Sadly I bet they really believe that themselves. The script book tells them that so it must be true!

elefante72

join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY
reply to BlackNGold29

The problem is youtube and/or Verizon FIOS. I can happily stream multiple HD netflix no problem (at 13Mbps total), but fire up Youtube in the evening and expect stutter central. I have 50/25 but the only time I come even close to consuming it is on downloads.

Also in the eve, Verizon LTE can stream NP most of the time. (I've tried them side by side) FIOS vs Verizon LTE, and while FIOS is choppy, LTE on my ipad is silky smooth for the SAME HD clip at the same time. I think that is funny and sad at the same time.

The youtube app on "premium" xbox is the worst. It just hangs half the time. ipad a little better. PC in between.

25/15 is probably better than 80% of america, speed wise, esp for upload (which doesn't matter for streaming tho)

From 4:30-midnight I don't even try to stream Youtube.

I haven't looked, but a CDN in net would help happily sitting in Terremark datacenters

Sadly I believe youtube is a best effort service, and that's what you get for free. You can join the HTML5 trial to see if that helps, but flash just sucks....

webcobbler

join:2013-03-09
Rumson, NJ
kudos:2

I have not heard that YouTube has an HTML5 beta out. If that is so, when it finally goes live, that should greatly benefit everyone. Possibly making FiOS users experience much better.

I also agree that Flash, as well as Silverlight is a dying product. HTML5 will be what company's switch to, instead of those 2 services.

elefante72

join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY

»www.youtube.com/html5

bull3964

@stargate.net
reply to BlackNGold29

The HTML5 player is just as bad. Youtube has basically become completely unusable on FiOS in the past few months. I have the 35/35 tier in the Pittsburgh area and I've basically given up on Youtube. It's rare that any video loads anymore without constant stopping.

navyson

Upper Marlboro, MD
reply to webcobbler

said by webcobbler:

I have not heard that YouTube has an HTML5 beta out. If that is so, when it finally goes live, that should greatly benefit everyone. Possibly making FiOS users experience much better.

I also agree that Flash, as well as Silverlight is a dying product. HTML5 will be what company's switch to, instead of those 2 services.

I have the new youtube HTML Beta and youtube can been worse with it than before.

navyson

Upper Marlboro, MD
reply to BlackNGold29

A workaround to the Fios youtube issue is to access youtube through www.proxfree.com. This is a free site

Youtube works perfectly through this website.

Sparky19053

join:2011-10-03
Feasterville Trevose, PA
reply to webcobbler

And to think we use to get by with DLS at 768KB. It’s a darn good thing Verizon offers the higher speeds.
Honestly the VZ sales guy probably does not even have a home PC.

Prairie Dog
Here's Looking At You Kid
Premium
join:2000-08-09
Langhorne, PA
reply to BlackNGold29

HaHa, Verizon and their silly jokes. I have 50/25, recently upgraded....it still sucks as bad as ever.

Stankyest

@verizon.net
reply to navyson

said by navyson:

said by blue_trooper:

said by wmcbrine:

Not true. Youtube (even 1080P) plays perfectly when I am work as well as on my cellphone. My comcast friends have no problems with it.

There is currently a problem with the Verizon to Google servers and thus, lots of problems even those with 150mbps connections.

1080p... I don't think so.

Clodas

join:2009-01-13
Boston, MA
reply to BlackNGold29

I have 75/35 service and I had just enough of this YouTube slowness issue on FiOS. I have one more year under contract and I'm canceling FiOS if they don't fix this by then. This issue is over a year old.

I don't know if its a Youtube/Google problem or FiOS problem, all I know is that I pay FiOS so I expect them to own the problem and I didn't have this problem with RCN (previous provider).

coma9

join:2013-02-05
United State
reply to BlackNGold29

The agent just didn't know what he's talking about. Probably about half of the agents here don't know what they're talking about. If you were calling their tech support (FSC), and you get an answer you clearly know is wrong, ask to speak with their Escalations Team. Their IHD team is more knowledgable, and only let a select few on the team. They will provide the best information, more often than not.

dmodert66

join:2007-04-02
Ontario, CA
reply to PJL

said by PJL:

The Youtube issues seem to be location dependent. I have absolutely no issue here in Southern California.

I must agree. I see none of these issues in Southern California either (I'm in Ontario). I'm on 150/65, but don't think the speed of the FIOS connection is the issue. Must be location/VHO related?