uniqs

Grail Knight

Premium Member
join:2003-05-31
Valhalla

Grail Knight to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20

Re: Windows 8 text looks horrible, any ideas?

As you are using the same monitor on your new Win8 PC you should run the monitor calibration manually again if you have not done so.

I just bought a new Win8 notebook for myself and aside from Metro the controls are not all that diff. from Win7 so if a person knows their way around Win7 or XP figuring out Win8 is not IMO difficult at all.
quote:
Didn't Fx used to have a Custom color section at the bottom of the Basic Color chart?
It still does but by using .css code you can fine tune colors and fonts.
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

said by Grail Knight:

As you are using the same monitor on your new Win8 PC you should run the monitor calibration manually again if you have not done so.

quote:
Didn't Fx used to have a Custom color section at the bottom of the Basic Color chart?
It still does but by using .css code you can fine tune colors and fonts.

What monitor calibration? This monitor will be 10 years old on Nov 1. Besides, I have to switch it to the old computer soon for awhile. It has around 28,000 hours on it so, yeah, I have been looking at new Dell Ultrasharp monitors. But the offerings are slim if you don't want the monitor primarily (or at all) for watching movies. If I want to watch a movie (which is rare) I have a 46" Samsung Smart HD TV sitting next to this computer monitor. Why would I ever want to watch a movie on the computer? The TV is on the network. I've never understood the reason for why desktop monitors forsook height for width in recent years.

Sure, the new Dell Ultrasharps come with a factory calibration report specific just to that one monitor but my LCD was one of the first LCD's and was ranked in 2003 by tests from PCWorld and Consumer Reports as the best LCD that year. It's been great and was worth the good amount of money I had to pay for it. However, while black text is far better on XP with it, it required Clear Type Tuner to make it readable and dark black. Clear Type Tuner didn't exist when I got this monitor. Someone here told me about ClearTweak (which Microsoft later stole and changed the name) and that made a huge difference. But black on an LCD is never like black was on my Trinitron that I had before this monitor.

There is no Custom color section on my Fx 17.0.5 ESR nor is there on Sea Monkey 2.17.1. There is a custom color section on Opera 12.15.

Grail Knight

Premium Member
Valhalla

Grail Knight

Premium Member

I said nothing about watching movies.
Monitors even 10 years old can be calibrated by the user but then again the user has to do more than plug it in and hook it up to thier computer such as open a Help File or go online and visit the Mfg. website and look into how to calibrate the monitor.

I bought a 24" HD Samsung LCD for my wife to use and the image including when watching movies is excellent.
The reason someone would watch movies on
an PC LCD widescreen is because someone else is hogging the 55" Plasma watching movies on Netflix.
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

To calibrate it, I would need to buy expensive calibration equipment. Been there, done that years ago.

It's a plugnplay monitor. The video card needs tuning so colors are like I want for images but the problem I have here with text not being black enough is not the monitor. The problem is no contrast slider for Windows 8 for cleartype tuner. Windows 8 is known to have very bad display for text on any browser and bad text display in File Explorer because Microsoft won't let you choose your font as you could in previous versions of Windows. Microsoft says this is because ALL FONTS EXCEPT SEGOE are bad on Windows 8.

Grail Knight

Premium Member
Valhalla

Grail Knight

Premium Member

Honestly Win8 text on Fx & IE looks great on both computers.
The color tho on some sites in Fx is washed out.
I am not fooling around with the contrast just for a few pages that I seldom visit.

I am using Verdana on each browser & Sans Serif.

The desktop text looked bad at first until I remembered to uncheck using drop shadows in Advanced Settings and now the desktop font is crisp.