join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious to mikedz4

Premium Member

to mikedz4

Re: [FiOS] Frontier FiOS customers falling further and further b

said by mikedz4:

Will this u-verse video service be deployed in west Virginia?

No. U-Verse is provided by AT&T and as far as I know, there are no AT&T services in WV, just Frontier. AT&T is not likely to "ovebuild" into Frontier territory.

I was just reading the other day how people with uverse fiber to the home are getting the same speeds as uverse fiber to the node customers. Apparently they are going to increase speeds soon.

Where did you read this exactly? I'd like to read about it.

mikedz4
join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV

mikedz4

will frontier provide video services other than wa, or, and in?

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to darcilicious

MVM

to darcilicious
said by darcilicious:

said by mikedz4:

I was just reading the other day how people with uverse fiber to the home are getting the same speeds as uverse fiber to the node customers. Apparently they are going to increase speeds soon.

Where did you read this exactly? I'd like to read about it.

See the second post I linked above. A (former?) AT&T FTTH user in the AT&T U-verse forum: ConstantineM See Profile. I think also some other user posts in that forum. Apparently AT&T offers an excuse which amounts to: "We don't want our FTTN user base demanding an upgrade to FTTH."

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious to mikedz4

Premium Member

to mikedz4
said by mikedz4:

will frontier provide video services other than wa, or, and in?

My best guess? It's unlikely.

pdxhz
@frontiernet.net

pdxhz to mikedz4

Anon

to mikedz4
About a month ago a tech that stopped by a neighbor's house to do a new Fios internet installation mentioned that Frontier is currently doing IPTV testing in Indiana (select employees only). How that technology could translate into customers beyond the Fios footprint is unclear at this point. How this could reduce Frontier's steep TV programming expense is even more murky.

NormanS
MVM
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS

MVM

said by pdxhz :

About a month ago a tech that stopped by a neighbor's house to do a new Fios internet installation mentioned that Frontier is currently doing IPTV testing in Indiana (select employees only). How that technology could translate into customers beyond the Fios footprint is unclear at this point. How this could reduce Frontier's steep TV programming expense is even more murky.

IPTV works with VDSL, but the copper loop should ideally be under 1500 feet. Unless some different RT cabinets are available, there will be backlash from neighbors to those cabinets. Do some research on AT&T VRADs (opponents refer to them as, "Lawn 'Fridges").

I don't see how this would reduce programming expense; even if it did, could it offset the expense of installing VRAD cabinets, and conditioning the copper plant?

ITALIAN926
join:2003-08-16

ITALIAN926

quote:
IPTV works with VDSL, but the copper loop should ideally be under 1500 feet. Unless some different RT cabinets are available, there will be backlash from neighbors to those cabinets. Do some research on AT&T VRADs (opponents refer to them as, "Lawn 'Fridges").

I don't see how this would reduce programming expense; even if it did, could it offset the expense of installing VRAD cabinets, and conditioning the copper plant?
Why are you under the assumption that IPTV is restricted to VDSL delivery?

NormanS
MVM
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS

MVM

said by ITALIAN926:

Why are you under the assumption that IPTV is restricted to VDSL delivery?

Why are you under the assumption I am limiting IPTV to VDSL? I have no doubt IPTV works over fiber and cable; but the poster wondered about IPTV beyond the Frontier fiber footprint. Unless Frontier is planning on deploying coax, copper is most likely. While ADSL2+ probably could be used for IPTV, there wouldn't be as much bandwidth left for Internet as with VDSL.

Or is Frontier going to become a satellite service?

ITALIAN926
join:2003-08-16

ITALIAN926

Yes well, the IPTV test is probably only over their fiber network, unless they want to do with with Youtube quality.

NormanS
MVM
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS

MVM

said by ITALIAN926:

Yes well, the IPTV test is probably only over their fiber network, unless they want to do with with Youtube quality.

Well, having casually observed the quality of IPTV over copper, using VDSL, at a relative's house (AT&T U-verse, FTTN), YouTube quality seems to be okay.

Personally, I prefer satellite, or coax; but won't pay for any of it.