Light Will Pierce The Darkness
MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON

1 recommendation

mozerd

MVM

IPv6 on Rogers

I was at a client site in Barrhaven [suburb of Ottawa] and noticed that their CISCO DPC3825 was actually utilizing IPv6 addressing + in doing ipconfig /all on the client windows 7 desktop it was returning a iPv6 address[preferred] so apparently Rogers are now IPv6 enabled.

Anyone else see this?

I have not enabled IPv6 on my Router so I am not seeing this .... probably reconfigure my Router for ipV6 next week but I was curious if anyone else has their Routers IPv6 enabled and are seeing the same thing I am seeing.
JAC70
join:2008-10-20
canada

1 recommendation

JAC70

If you can post the correct config for a TomatoUSB router I'll be happy to test it.

mozerd
MVM
Nepean, ON

mozerd

MVM

said by JAC70:

If you can post the correct config for a TomatoUSB router I'll be happy to test it.

Enabling IPv6 on Tomato USB Ext 1.28
mozerd

1 recommendation

mozerd

MVM

OK I chatted with Rogers and apparently its enabled but they are not providing much information at this time. So I have absolutely no idea which 'capability' to enable;

I guess I'll have to try IPv6-PD or IPv6-SLAAC

PD:= Prefix Delegation
SLAAC:= Stateless Address Auto-Configuration

This only impacts Business class Routers [like I have -- ZyWALL USG] -- Consumer based routers are not impacted -- but I would like to know which system Home based systems support by default --- I suspect its PD Back to study time.
34764170 (banned)
join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned)

said by mozerd:

OK I chatted with Rogers and apparently its enabled but they are not providing much information at this time. So I have absolutely no idea which 'capability' to enable;

I guess I'll have to try IPv6-PD or IPv6-SLAAC

PD:= Prefix Delegation
SLAAC:= Stateless Address Auto-Configuration

This only impacts Business class Routers [like I have -- ZyWALL USG] -- Consumer based routers are not impacted -- but I would like to know which system Home based systems support by default --- I suspect its PD Back to study time.

For cable the standard is DHCPv6 for the routers WAN interface IP and DHCPv6-PD to acquire a prefix to provide addresses for the LAN clients. Then from there your router will provide the addresses via either SLAAC and/or DHCPv6 / DHCPv6-PD.

mozerd
MVM
Nepean, ON

mozerd

MVM

said by 34764170:

For cable the standard is DHCPv6 for the routers WAN interface IP and DHCPv6-PD to acquire a prefix to provide addresses for the LAN clients. Then from there your router will provide the addresses via either SLAAC and/or DHCPv6 / DHCPv6-PD.

Thanks brad. Are you using IPv6 on the Rogers Network and are you operating with a dual stack?
uid605466
Premium Member
join:2002-03-23

uid605466

Premium Member

Still no-go in North Toronto.
IPv6 Connection Type :Autoconfiguration
Network Status :Connected
WAN IPv6 Address : /
IPv6 Default Gateway removed
Primary IPv6 DNS Server :None
Secondary IPv6 DNS Server :None
LAN IPv6 Link-Local Address :removed
DHCP-PD :Enabled
IPv6 Network assigned by DHCP-PD :None
LAN IPv6 Address :None

mozerd
MVM
Nepean, ON

mozerd

MVM

I can confirm that IPv6 is working just fine .... At another client site --- Arlington Woods area of Nepean --- I enabled IPv6 on a Netgear R6300 and all IPv6 tests passed.
34764170 (banned)
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned)

Can you show some traceroute's to say for example www.he.net and www.facebook.com?

mozerd
MVM
Nepean, ON

mozerd

MVM

said by 34764170:

Can you show some traceroute's to say for example www.he.net and www.facebook.com?

I'm not at client site so I cannot currently provide some traceroute's from that device/network.

I am trying to get my router [ZyWALL USG100] to work with IPv6 on the Rogers network but so far I have not found the right configuration options.
34764170 (banned)
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned)

said by mozerd:

said by 34764170:

I'm not at client site so I cannot currently provide some traceroute's from that device/network.

I am trying to get my router [ZyWALL USG100] to work with IPv6 on the Rogers network but so far I have not found the right configuration options.

Good luck with that. From looking at the ZyXel forum the firmware on those is fairly buggy and especially so with v6. Until those bugs are fixed it is unlikely or plain not possible to get it working.

34764170 (banned) to mozerd

to mozerd
Any update on this? Anyone from the Toronto area with a business account noticed if v6 is enabled?
uid605466
Premium Member
join:2002-03-23

uid605466

Premium Member

Yonge & Eglinton, business account:

IPv6 Connection Type:Autoconfiguration (SLAAC/DHCPV6)
Network Status:Disconnected
Connection Up Time:0 Day 0 Hour 0 Min 0 Sec

WAN IPv6 Address:None
IPv6 Default Gateway:None
Primary IPv6 DNS Server:None
Secondary IPv6 DNS Server:None
LAN IPv6 Link-Local Address: [REMOVED]
DHCP-PD:Enabled
IPv6 Network assigned by DHCP-PD:None
LAN IPv6 Address:None

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to 34764170

Premium Member

to 34764170
said by 34764170:

Any update on this? Anyone from the Toronto area with a business account noticed if v6 is enabled?

I'll try it tomorrow at work, but i use the Cisco modem in bridge mode. So i dont know how that will work, i use a tomato router
34764170 (banned)
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned)

said by HiVolt:

said by 34764170:

I'll try it tomorrow at work, but i use the Cisco modem in bridge mode. So i dont know how that will work, i use a tomato router

You would have to replace the Tomato router with a router or computer capable of supporting DHCPv6 (.e.g. Windows Vista or newer / OS X 10.7 or newer / OpenWRT trunk / modern Linux or *BSD with ISC-DHCP / WIDE DHCP)
JAC70
canada

JAC70

Most (all?) Tomato builds support IPv6 now. It's just a question of figuring out how to configure it.
34764170 (banned)
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned)

said by JAC70:

Most (all?) Tomato builds support IPv6 now. It's just a question of figuring out how to configure it.

Well I can't assume what Tomato firmware they're using and unfortunately the stock (original) Tomato as well as some other derivatives still do not have v6 support. Also even if the firmware has v6 support I'm skeptical about DHCPv6 support. The reality is that the Tomato firmwares over all are mostly dead or barely on life support and barely being maintained. But I very much welcome any other firmware projects like Tomato or DD-WRT to catch up to OpenWRT for v6 support and integration.

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

Click for full size
Well, I tried on Tomato today, and it does have DHCPv6 support, and it did assign dhcp ipv6 to win7 machine i tested it on, but the ipv6 test sites fail...

Perhaps its just being tested in certain areas, and maybe it will work natively with the modem acting as a router, and not via bridge mode...
JAC70
canada

JAC70 to 34764170

to 34764170
said by 34764170:

Well I can't assume what Tomato firmware they're using and unfortunately the stock (original) Tomato as well as some other derivatives still do not have v6 support. Also even if the firmware has v6 support I'm skeptical about DHCPv6 support. The reality is that the Tomato firmwares over all are mostly dead or barely on life support and barely being maintained. But I very much welcome any other firmware projects like Tomato or DD-WRT to catch up to OpenWRT for v6 support and integration.

You're quite wrong about Tomato. There are (at least) three versions being actively maintained: Toastman, Shibby and Victek, all of which have DHCPv6 support.

And while OpenWRT may be nice, I have no interest in compiling my own build, and I'm sure most people feel the same.
34764170 (banned)
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned) to HiVolt

to HiVolt
said by HiVolt:

Well, I tried on Tomato today, and it does have DHCPv6 support, and it did assign dhcp ipv6 to win7 machine i tested it on, but the ipv6 test sites fail...

Perhaps its just being tested in certain areas, and maybe it will work natively with the modem acting as a router, and not via bridge mode...

After looking around again I doubt that is Tomato, what derivative is that?

Well I expect it is only being tested in certain areas at the moment. Just curious where they're currently testing or if the testing area has expanded at all.

That is always a remote possibility but I doubt it.

1 edit

34764170 (banned) to JAC70

to JAC70
said by JAC70:

You're quite wrong about Tomato. There are (at least) three versions being actively maintained: Toastman, Shibby and Victek, all of which have DHCPv6 support.

And while OpenWRT may be nice, I have no interest in compiling my own build, and I'm sure most people feel the same.

Yes, they are maintained to a certain extent but IMO they're fairly close to the life support level of maintenance.

I have been using OpenWRT for years and never had to build my own build.

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to 34764170

Premium Member

to 34764170
The Tomato variant I'm running is Toastman.

»www.mediafire.com/?88t1vzzcgrphx
JAC70
canada

JAC70 to 34764170

to 34764170
said by 34764170:

Yes, they are maintained to a certain extent but IMO they're fairly close to the life support level of maintenance.

You should pay more attention, then. Toastman has four releases this year, Shibby has five, and Victek has two, IIRC.

Conversely, Cisco has relased a *total* of two firmware updates for my e3000, and they don't have a fraction of the features Tomato does.
34764170 (banned)
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned)

said by JAC70:

You should pay more attention, then. Toastman has four releases this year, Shibby has five, and Victek has two, IIRC.

Conversely, Cisco has relased a *total* of two firmware updates for my e3000, and they don't have a fraction of the features Tomato does.

I do not need to.

It has nothing to do with the frequency of the releases.
crimson_fist
join:2013-07-12
Cambridge, ON

1 recommendation

crimson_fist to 34764170

to 34764170
Rogers does have 6to4 tunneling, as well as 6RD tunneling. But from some of the tests I ran on test-ipv6.com, it wouldn't pass all the tests with 6to4.

But on the other hand, I did manage to get 6RD tunneling to work through DD-WRT. Mind you it took me quite some time to finally figure it out. For those having Rogers as their ISP, and is running a Linksys WRT610N Version 2 router, this script will work. Keep in mind, it could work for other types of routers supported in DD-WRT, but you may have to make some minor changes.

To get IPV6 to work, you do as follows:

First off, go into the web interface on DD-WRT, and click the Administration tab, then select the Management tab.

Then scroll down to the section where it says IPv6 support.

Where it says IPv6, select enable. And underneath that there is an option for Radvd.

Radvd stands for - Router ADVertisement Daemon. What this does is that it will assign each computer or device on your network an IPv6 address. Make sure this is disabled.

Now I know your going to say that it needs to be on. You won't need it on because in the startup shell script, it is setup to start Radvd after it is configured.

The reason it has to be setup this way is that the startup script is going to find your IPv4 WAN address, and it's going to convert it to an IPv6 address. From there, once the WAN address is converted to hexadecimal (IPv6 address), that address will be added to the Radvd configuration part of the script, and then Radvd will then start.

You won't need to put any information in here as it is already provided for anyone using Rogers High Speed internet.

Ok so that part is out of the way. Lets move onto the next part. Using the startup script for DD-WRT.

The script is posted as follows:

insmod ipv6
sleep 5
HOST6RD=66.185.95.192
WANIP=$(nvram get wan_ipaddr)
if [ -n "$WANIP" ]; then
ip tunnel del tun6rd
V6PREFIX=$(printf ' 2607:F090:%02x%02x:%02x%02x' $(echo $WANIP | tr . ' '))
ip tunnel add tun6rd mode sit ttl 255 remote any local $WANIP
ip link set tun6rd mtu 1480
ip link set tun6rd up
ip addr add $V6PREFIX::1/32 dev tun6rd
ip addr add $V6PREFIX::1/60 dev br0
ip -6 route add 2000::/3 via ::$HOST6RD dev tun6rd
kill -HUP $(cat /var/run/radvd.pid)
fi
echo "interface br0 { \
MinRtrAdvInterval 3; MaxRtrAdvInterval 10; AdvLinkMTU 1480; AdvSendAdvert on; \
prefix $V6PREFIX::/64 { AdvOnLink on; AdvAutonomous on; AdvValidLifetime 86400; \
AdvPreferredLifetime 86400; }; };" \
> /tmp/radvd.conf
radvd -C /tmp/radvd.conf start

Copy the script here, then in the web interface in DD-WRT under the Administration tab, select the Commands tab.

Where it says Command Shell in the Commands box, paste the startup script in there. And after you do that, at the bottom of the screen click the button that says "Save Startup". It should now show your the startup script in the Startup box.

The only thing you may need to modify in this script is where it says "ip link set tun6rd mtu 1480". You may have to start off with your mtu number at 1280.

You would also change the MTU number on where it says "AdvLinkMTU 1480". Set that to the same number you change it to.

Try conducting ping tests to an ipv6 address and make sure you don't get any errors. If you don't get errors in your pings, then increase the number. The key thing is to have a high number as possible without incurring errors on pings. After doing numerous tests, having my MTU at 1480 seems to work.

Now next what you want to do is under the Administration tab, click the management tab. And at the bottom of the screen, click the Reboot Router button.

It will reset and by the time your router restarts and your connection is back up. It should now assign ipv6 addresses to each computer, and ipv6 should work.

Now one thing to keep in mind, if somehow your WAN address changes since Rogers uses Dynamic IP addresses for IPv4. The script will still work, but a reboot of your router will be required to update the information.

And one other thing. If you end up power cycling your cable modem and your router. Make sure you let the cable modem start up and sync first before restarting your router.

If you restart them both at the same time, chances are you may run into a problem getting your IPV6 connections to work. If this happens, just restart the router again once your cable modem is back up and it should be up and running.

Well hope that helps anyone running DD-WRT on a WRT610n version 2 router or a Linksys E3000. Best of luck to you all.
34764170 (banned)
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned)

said by crimson_fist:

Rogers does have 6to4 tunneling, as well as 6RD tunneling.

I don't care about that. That's not what this thread is about.
crimson_fist
Cambridge, ON

crimson_fist

Sorry, my mistake.
34764170 (banned)
Etobicoke, ON

1 recommendation

34764170 (banned)

said by crimson_fist:

Sorry, my mistake.

Just to be clear the interest is in Rogers making progress towards native dual-stack service. mozerd has shown that Rogers is doing testing/trials with business customers in one/some area(s); which isn't surprising as other MSOs in Canada and the US are doing various forms of testing/trials. Tunnels are not interesting as they've been available for 15+ years and anyone interested in that could easily find tons of pages / posts providing info regarding that via a search engine.

hurleyp
join:2000-06-20
Ottawa, ON

hurleyp to crimson_fist

to crimson_fist
I've installed this script on my WRT610N v1 running DD-WRT kong build 20805M, and it passes all of the tests on test-ipv6.com. Nice work. Both MTU 1280 and 1480 seem to work, and I'm currently running 1480.
crimson_fist
Cambridge, ON

crimson_fist

Thanks, glad I could help and to hear that it works for someone else.