how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

keno5net

join:2002-01-05
Milwaukee, WI

Pfsense build Nic question.

I am preparing to put together a Pfsense box out of old hardware and wanted to find out if there is any reason to use more than 100Mb/s Nics. I can think of none myself unless to use a gig card t attach to the Switch.

I have a 15Mb/s down 1Mb/s up Time Warner cable connection using my own Motorola SB6141 modem. On the LAN side I have a 10/100/1000 dumb switch. Both switch and modem are gig Ethernet capable.

I will be using 10/100 NICs unless there is a good reason not to.

shdesigns
Powered By Infinite Improbabilty Drive
Premium
join:2000-12-01
Stone Mountain, GA
As you fastest speed through the box is 15Mb/sec, then gigabit will not make much of a difference.

If you had a real fast connection or were using the pfsense box to route between local LANs, then it would be significant.

keno5net

Milwaukee, WI
Thanks that is what I expected. I just wanted to get another opinion in case I was missing something.

toby
Troy Mcclure

join:2001-11-13
Portland, OR
reply to keno5net
On the LAN side, use a gigabit, dns lookups will be faster as pfsense will cache the dns results.
Also if you're using a proxy, that'd be faster.

Bink
Villains... knock off all that evil

join:2006-05-14
Castle Rock, CO
kudos:4
Reviews:
·VOIPO
reply to keno5net
I concur with shdesigns See Profile. FWIW, if your Internet speeds improve, GigE NICs and related tend to handle interrupts and offloads better than Fast Ethernet NICs.

clarknova

join:2010-02-23
Grande Prairie, AB
kudos:7
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to keno5net
Gig chips usually have better offloading, but at 16 Mbps, unless you're using something really anemic like a net4801 (and embedded systems usually don't give you the changeable NIC option anyway), then CPU usage isn't likely to be a problem.
--
db

keno5net

Milwaukee, WI
reply to keno5net
I guess I'll go with what I have. The MB on-board NIC is an Intel Pro 100 and the second is an old Linksys LNE100TX. I'll get it up and running then if I want I can always upgrade.

Thanks all

Ken

Fraoch

join:2003-08-01
Cambridge, ON
kudos:2
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
Just avoid the cheapie Realtek-based cards - they perform quite poorly and may not even deliver your 15 Mbps down...

The Intel NICs are probably the best you can get for this application.
--
TekSavvy cable - Technicolor DCM476 - Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite - Amer Networks SGD8 switch - ASUS RT-N66U (as WAP)