share rss forum feed

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
join:2000-08-06
Galt's Gulch
kudos:2

GoogleSharing dead?

The Firefox GoogleSharing add-on proxy (that anonymizes Google searches) has been refusing connections since late last week. It seemed, from information in this thread,

»Re: [FireFox] What 7 addons do you think are essential?

that Abine wasn't abandoning or discontinuing the proxy. However I just received this email reply from Abine.

quote:
Thank you for contacting Abine support. To my knowledge, we did not deliberately shut down GoogleSharing. This product is an older product of Abine's, one that we refer to as a Legacy Product. We no longer offer support or necessarily promote GoogleSharing, however our users can still use and download the product.

I'm sorry for any inconvenience this has caused

That reply is characteristically vague. It's says nothing. No acknowledgement of any issue nor an indication that such will be fixed.

So is GoogleSharing dead? I don't know and it seems Abine is unwilling to say one way or the other.
--
Don't feed trolls--it only makes them grow!

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch

1 edit

2 recommendations

Got it working!

I went to Abine's site via the original googlesharing.net address and managed to get to this page.

»www.googlesharing.net/googlesharing/

I re-installed the Firefox add-on (same 0.22 version I had) BUT an additional proxy was configured.

proxy.abine.com HTTP=8080 HTTPS=8080

I had to disable the old

proxy.googlesharing.net

proxy as it seems it was being used by default and was failing.

PS: I had to add an outgoing firewall rule (port 8080) for proxy.abine.com

PPS: I can confirm, using WireShark, that connections to proxy.abine.com:8080 are using SSL.
--

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:4

Yes, I have been having intermittent problems the last couple of weeks with the original Google Sharing proxy.

I just added the new Proxy and disabled the original. Now I get that the proxy server is refusing connections (https). It automatically redirects from "http" to "https".

It won't work on "http" because Proxo uses 8080 port. Why did Abine change the port? It should work on "https" because I don't have Proxo configured to use "https" but the connection is refused.

I can try reinstalling the Fx add-on but that should not be necessary as you can add proxies (and disable proxies) right in the add-on's GUI.

--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch

1 edit

said by Mele20:

Why did Abine change the port?

No idea. Port 8080 is usually used as an alternate to port 80 (http). However, as I posted above, GoogleSharing is using SSL over 8080.

I have had a few, but not many, connection issues to proxy.abine.com. Try again in a while.

I can try reinstalling the Fx add-on but that should not be necessary as you can add proxies (and disable proxies) right in the add-on's GUI.

I only re-installed, on one machine, because I wasn't sure if the add-on at Abine's site was a later version than what I had (they don't say what version you install).

I manually added the new proxy on other boxes.
--

chachazz
Premium
join:2003-12-14
kudos:9
Reviews:
·TELUS

1 recommendation

said by StuartMW:

I only re-installed, on one machine, because I wasn't sure if the add-on at Abine's site was a later version than what I had (they don't say what version you install).

I manually added the new proxy on other boxes.

It's the same version at Abine and Firefox Add-ons - v. 0.22. The extension at Add-ons does not include the Abine proxy. So they have failed to send the amended version to mozilla.
--
Gladiator Security Forum

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch

1 recommendation

Thanks for the info.

Probably just as well Abine didn't show the add-on version as I probably wouldn't have re-installed it and hence discovered the new proxy.

And why don't they post information on the proxy servers? Maybe it's a state secret
--

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch

3 edits
reply to StuartMW

More info.

If you look in

Extensions\googlesharing@extension.thoughtcrime.org\components\ProxyManager.js

you'll see

ProxyManager.prototype.getDefaultProxy = function() {
  var proxy = new Proxy();
  proxy.setHost("proxy.abine.com");
  proxy.setSSLPort(8080);
  proxy.setHTTPPort(8080);
  proxy.setSSLEnabled(true);
  proxy.setEnabled(true);
  proxy.setInterfaceLanguage("en");
  proxy.setSearchLanguage("all");
  proxy.initializeProxyInfo();
  return proxy;
};

Note the omission of the old proxy

proxy.googlesharing.net

I can only conclude that Abine killed the old proxy server, added a new one, updated their copy of the FF add-on, and didn't tell anyone.

Yeah, I'll pay money for their products (in their dreams).

PS: ProxyManager.js is dated 4/26/2012 11:08 in the Abine install. On the Mozilla installs it is 3/27/2011 18:43

PPS: Just downloaded the .xpi from Abine. It is 71.8KB. The one I have from Mozilla is 144Kb yet both are v0.22!
--

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch

Click for full size
FYI I uninstalled the "old" v0.22 add-on I had and installed the "new" Abine v0.22 on all my machines.

One obvious change is that donations are no longer requested when visiting Google.
--

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI

I still get the "proxy is refusing connections".

Later, I'll try uninstalling the Fx extension and install the Abine one.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch

I'd try that since there's at least two v0.22's out there. As I described above they're quite different.
--

Gem
Premium
join:2005-09-10
Reviews:
·CableOne
reply to StuartMW

said by StuartMW:

Got it working!

I went to Abine's site via the original googlesharing.net address and managed to get to this page.

»www.googlesharing.net/googlesharing/

I re-installed the Firefox add-on (same 0.22 version I had) BUT an additional proxy was configured.

proxy.abine.com HTTP=8080 HTTPS=8080

I had to disable the old

proxy.googlesharing.net

Perfect solution. Good detective work discovering that state secret and even better instructions on how to get Google Sharing working again.

Five Star post, Stuart. :>)

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
reply to StuartMW

WORTHLESS SHIT NOW.

I uninstalled GoogleSharing from Mozilla Addons site. I then tried to install the one from Abine site. Of course, Fx refused because it is not signed and not from Addons site. I told Fx to take the "risk" and install it anyway. I had to restart Fx to install it.

I walked off for just a few seconds as Fx restarted. As I came back to the computer, I heard a voice coming out of my speakers! It wasn't very loud so I couldn't catch all the words but it was some kind of ad coming from Abine Google Sharing page which is the tab Fx opened to (I guess it could have come from another as it was loading since I later realized Google Sharing has disabled the Proxomitron so all tabs were loading with no protection against ads and other crap).

Google Sharing was disabled (at least that is what it said in Fx Status bar) but I guess it was somehow still ALIVE AND CONNECTED LIVE TO ABINE SITE. That was obvious because there were animated ads/testimonials playing on Abine's page. The Proxomitron blocks gif animation and those testimonials had NOT been animated when I downloaded GoogleSharing from that page.

I closed that tab and looked at GoogleSharing Options. I changed settings trying to get only SSL connection on port 8080 (so I wouldn't have the Proxo conflict) but it wouldn't find google proxy at all that way. I tried several different changes.

I can contact Abine about it but what particularly bothers me is that my Fx status bar states GOOGLE SHARING DISABLED but that is a LIE. It is LIVE AND CONNECTED ALWAYS. I tried to disable it in Tools/Addons but that cannot be done until I RESTART Fx. It is STILL blocking Proxo while claiming in the Status bar to be disabled. Yes, using the Google Sharing proxy is disabled if I do a Google search BUT EVERYTHING I DO IS NOW FILTERED THROUGH GOOGLE SHARING so it is not really disabled.

I opened a Proxo log window and it is logging nothing while I am on Fx even though I have Google Sharing disabled and I even opened options from it on the Status bar and UNchecked to use Abine's new proxy but it still uses it because Proxo is still blocked and out of commission on Fx. I started Sea Monkey and Proxo is working fine there.

The only way to stop this Google Sharing Proxy from sending EVERYTHING through itself (even when it is disabled) is to disable it in Tools/Addons and then restart Fx. That is the only thing that actually disables it, disabling it from clicking on it on the Status bar or from its Options does NOT disable it.

Next time I have some time, maybe I'll download Wireshark for Win 8 (have it on the XP computer) and see what it shows.
--

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch

3 edits

said by Mele20:

...but it was some kind of ad coming from Abine Google Sharing page...

Hmm, I re-installed the add-on, from Abine's site, on 3 boxes and never got any kind of ad. Guess I was just lucky. That said I installed from an .xpi file (not their site) on two boxes.

The newer proxy does seem to time out on occasions and appears to be slower. No other issues though.

PS: I can disable/enable GoogleSharing from the FF statusbar icon just fine.

PPS: GoogleSharing is totally written in JavaScript and runs within the FF process.
--

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch

2 edits

downloadGoogleSharin···.xpi.zip 67,035 bytes
Abine GoogleSharing v0.22 XPI
^^^

Add-on .xpi file as downloaded from Abine a few days ago.

BTW the Install Button on the Abine site uses a PHP script so you can't save the XPI file when using FF. The solution is to open the page in IE and then do a save as.

PS: I can't get to »www.googlesharing.net/googlesharing right now. I'm seeing 100% packet loss.

PPS: That site is hosted by amazonaws.

Ok I can reach the site again.

Open this link in IE to download the .xpi file.

»abine.com/googlesharing/download.php
--

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
reply to StuartMW

said by StuartMW:

said by Mele20:

...but it was some kind of ad coming from Abine Google Sharing page...

Hmm, I re-installed the add-on, from Abine's site, on 3 boxes and never got any kind of ad. Guess I was just lucky. That said I installed from an .xpi file (not their site) on two boxes.

PS: I can disable/enable GoogleSharing from the FF statusbar icon just fine.

My point was that disabling from the statusbar or even from within its GUI doesn't really disable it. Proxo is still disabled. It has to completely uninstalled to get Proxo to work again on Fx.
--

mmainprize

join:2001-12-06
Houghton Lake, MI
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to StuartMW

Every since i installed this add-on i found the Google search page will not load at times. That is it will not return search results ever now and then, if i change the search to Bing it comes back fast with results.

I guess this Google Sharing proxy is over loaded or something but it is driving me crasy, so i may uninstalling it if i can not find a better proxy then the default proxy.abine.com