All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
jr461
join:2006-12-21
Montvale, NJ

jr461 to ksalper

to ksalper

Re: [DVR] Will they EVER fix the DVR fast-forward bug?

said by ksalper:

This has been driving me nuts for ages, and I can't believe they haven't fixed it yet.

If you're playing back a program that's being recorded, and you go to fast-forward through a commercial or something, if you accidentally FF too far, you get dumped out of the recording. There's no going back, either -- your only option is to start playing it back again from the beginning, and hope you don't FF through the end again as you try to catch up. It's infuriating, and it's also COMPLETELY DIFFERENT from the behavior you experience if you play back a show that isn't still being recorded; in those cases (where, frustratingly, you often WANT to fast forward to the very end so you can delete it), doing so results in you being dumped back into the show before its end -- the exact thing you WOULD want to happen with a show still being recorded.

Why is this so hard to solve?

ETA: I may have left out a critical piece of information: I am talking about REMOTE STBS, not the DVR itself.

The problem is that many shows squeeze a little content (30 sec to a minute) in at the very end, but only after 3 minutes or so of commercials. When you FF past a certain point remaining (I don't know what this point this is), it jumps to the end.

It's not like you are FF-ing and watching the time left go from 1:00 down to 0:00. It will just jump to the end from some point with I think a little over a minute left. As mentioned, the only option then is to watch from the beginning. Too much effort for that last few seconds.

Or stop FF-ing and watch some commercials. I don't know a better work-around.

Jamesbobo
@verizon.net

Jamesbobo

Anon

I found two workarounds to FF through the last minutes of a recorded program.
1. Don't stop FFing. It will automatically stop a few seconds from the end and start playing from there. If it's too far you can now go back a few seconds without a problem.
2. If you did try to stop FFing and it stops playing completely hit the play button to start from beginning. Now hit the up button (above OK button). You will get a chapter list. Advance to 28 minutes for a 30 minute show or 58 minutes for an hour show and play from there.

matcarl
Premium Member
join:2007-03-09
Franklin Square, NY

matcarl

Premium Member

said by Jamesbobo :

1. Don't stop FFing. It will automatically stop a few seconds from the end and start playing from there. If it's too far you can now go back a few seconds without a problem.
2. If you did try to stop FFing and it stops playing completely hit the play button to start from beginning. Now hit the up button (above OK button). You will get a chapter list. Advance to 28 minutes for a 30 minute show or 58 minutes for an hour show and play from there.

That will only work from the DVR itself. The chapters are not available on the other boxes.

Nezmo
The name's Bond. James Bond.
MVM
join:2004-11-10
Coppell, TX

Nezmo

MVM

said by matcarl:

said by Jamesbobo :

That will only work from the DVR itself. The chapters are not available on the other boxes.

And chapters don't show up for everything for me.