uniqs
share rss forum feed

Oleg
Premium
join:2003-12-08
Birmingham, AL
kudos:2

HDD addiction

Do you think i am over the top by having 2TB HDD (not even %15 full, 750GB (have not used it yet) , and 1TB ( still in the box). Personally i think i have gone over the board.

Gordo74
Premium
join:2003-10-28
Monroeville, PA

No.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS
reply to Oleg

I have two spare 2TB drives around somewhere. Waiting for one of my 12TBs of storage to fail
--
♬ Dragon of good fortune struggles with the trickster Fox ♬

Oleg
Premium
Birmingham, AL

1 recommendation

I always were thinking i have too much storage. Thanks for proving me wrong

LazMan
Premium
join:2003-03-26
canada
reply to Oleg

9.25 TB spread across NAS, desktop, laptops, and external hard drives...

I think you're good...

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
reply to Oleg

said by Oleg:

If you won't use it all in the next year or 2 - it is overkill. No one here can tell you if it is overkill since no one here knows what you are saving or will save in the future.
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12
reply to Oleg

If you are even asking the question, you have a problem.

TransitMan
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-05
Dayton, OH
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

1 recommendation

reply to Oleg

Let's see if I have the problem you are thinking you have, OK.

Main machine, 600Gb primary drive, 750GB ripping/holding drive (which gets dumped when the data is not longer needed), 3 2TB storage drives for music, movies and tv shows, 1.5TB drive to hold incremental backups, 2TB drive in waiting for major backups, 150GB drive with a backup of my music, 650GB drive for downloads and other data, and a 320GB drive for duplication and data storage of non-essentials.

Are all the drives full? Not by a long shot. But I am safe in knowing that I have more than enough for what I need, plus I have a back-up computer strictly for my music files that's 500GB.

So no, I do not think you've gone overboard.

Jan Janowski
Premium
join:2000-06-18
Skokie, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Oleg

Especially if you do video editing..... You always need:

1. More, FASTER, "Space"

and when you think you have enough...... You find out it's nearly full, or you change format, and it suddenly isn't Fast enough!

Then repeat...
--
Looking for 1939 Indian Motocycle

SilentMan

join:2002-07-15
New York, NY

1 recommendation

reply to Oleg

You can never have too much space.

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK
reply to Jan Janowski

Yeah you end up with SSD's and thinking your HDD's are too damn slow lol

Cthen

join:2004-08-01
Detroit, MI
reply to Oleg

Hate to rain on your brag post (I'm lying, I actually love it) but there are others out there with way more HDD's around than you!
--
"I like to refer to myself as an Adult Film Efficienato." - Stuart Bondek

Chris 313
Come get some
Premium
join:2004-07-18
Houma, LA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Vonage
·Comcast
·Comcast Digital ..
reply to Oleg

said by Oleg:

Do you think i am over the top by having 2TB HDD (not even %15 full, 750GB (have not used it yet) , and 1TB ( still in the box). Personally i think i have gone over the board.

Hell no! I'm looking into getting 2 of these: »www.amazon.com/Seagate-Backup-De···0829THLE (I think this is the model)

One would be used for computer storage and the other for my DVR expansion.

You can never have enough space. These days, we shouldn't have to think about "Do I have enough space to download this?"

Jan Janowski
Premium
join:2000-06-18
Skokie, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to KrK

But th4en you realize it might be fast enough, but then you need more space!

It is a vicious circle!

said by KrK:

Yeah you end up with SSD's and thinking your HDD's are too damn slow lol

--
Looking for 1939 Indian Motocycle

praetoralpha

join:2005-08-06
Pittsburgh, PA

1 recommendation

reply to Chris 313

said by Chris 313:

said by Oleg:

Hell no! I'm looking into getting 2 of these: »www.amazon.com/Seagate-Backup-De···0829THLE (I think this is the model)

One would be used for computer storage and the other for my DVR expansion.

You can never have enough space. These days, we shouldn't have to think about "Do I have enough space to download this?"

I'm thinking about picking up 2 or 3 of those to back up my server. I would swap them between home, work, and my parent's place. I'm thinking about picking up 2 or so 3-4TB drives for my server, but I have some crap that I want to go through on there already, only delaying the inevitable (helps me wait for a better deal?).

I currently have a 2TB in my server, backing up to another 2TB inside it, along with a 1.5TB system drive. I have an older 500GB external at my parents place for an offsite backup. My desktop has a 512GB Vertex 4 with a 640GB user storage drive. I edited the unattend xml in the Windows setup, so the C:\Users directory would actually be on the HD, not the SSD.

ke4pym
Premium
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC
Reviews:
·VOIPO
·ooma
·Verizon Broadban..
·Northland Cable ..
·Time Warner Cable
reply to Cthen

said by Cthen:

Hate to rain on your brag post (I'm lying, I actually love it) but there are others out there with way more HDD's around than you!

Someone always has more than you do.

Rule number 2. After, "we all breath O2".

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY
reply to Oleg

Well,...

Lets see,.....

My HP EX490 MediaSmart Server WHS v1 PP3 has 4x HDDs (3x 2TB + 1x 1TB OS drive). It also has two MediaSonic ProBox eSATA / USB 2.0/3.0, 4 port external enclosures with each slot filled (I think) so thats an additional 8x HDDs which should be 2TB each on average. Most are WD.

I'm on OS X right now but I can check later to be sure,....I had some drive failures so there were some last min replacements I might not be remembering correctly,...

The new 2012 Essentials server I setup recently has:

1x 2TB WD Red (OS)

3x 3TB WD Green (Storage Spaces Pool)

2x 3TB Seagate (Storage Spaces Pool)

1x 4TB Seagate (Storage Spaces Pool)

That doesn't include dedicated Media Center systems (2x), laptops and desktop clients,....

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit

I think the problem with the OP is 1) he's not using any of the space he has, and 2) he's wracked by doubt and think he's gone overboard.

I don't have near as much as you, but still have a significant amount of storage in the house, and I am considering a 4 or 5 bay NAS to throw 4TB Reds into so everything can be backed up outside of its box.

• My desktop: 512GB SSD boot, 2TB Black storage, 3TB Red backup (for the first two) - 5.5 TB
• My laptop: 120GB SSD boot, 1TB data - 6.6TB
• Wife's desktop: 120GB SSD boot, 1500GB Black raid storage, 1.5 GB Green backup - 9.7 TB
• Wife's laptop: 256GB SSD - 10TB
• Stepson's Desktop: 1TB - 11TB
• Stepson's laptop: 500GB - 11.5TB
• HTPC: 1TB Black, 1.5TB Green - 14TB
• NAS: 2x 1.5TB Green - 17TB
• NAS2: 2x 1TB Hitachis - 19TB
Total: 19TB

So with the present setup in the house, I'd need a backup solution to store at least 15TB (it'd be replacing the two NAS, so they don't count), and I'd rather I just round to 20TB for a bit of future proofing.
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Mannus
Premium
join:2005-10-25
Fort Wayne, IN
reply to Oleg

1- 4TB Seagate External and 1- 2TB Fantom External w/ 1.3TB free space combined. Need moar.

sk1939
Premium
join:2010-10-23
Mclean, VA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Oleg

500Gb HDD (Internal)(Mac)
500Gb HDD (Backup External)
--
128GB Samsung SSD
2x500GB HDD (RAID 1)

--

60GB Muskin SSD (Failed)
1TB HDD

--

2x147GB HDD (RAID 1)

--

2x147GB HDD (RAID 1)

--
2TB NAS (Backup/Media Serv)
2TB NAS (iSCSI/Backup)
1TB NAS (iSCSI)

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3
reply to Oleg

No way, you are slacking

I have a raid 5 of 4x 2tb drives with an iscsi lun of 4tb coming off it.

Then I have a 2TB drive on my DVR, and I'm thinking of replacing my 4x 2tb array with 4x 4tb drives

also I'm thinking if I find a way about making a iscsi to esata device (to present an iscsi lun to my dvr.)

Oleg
Premium
Birmingham, AL
reply to CylonRed

said by CylonRed:

said by Oleg:

If you won't use it all in the next year or 2 - it is overkill. No one here can tell you if it is overkill since no one here knows what you are saving or will save in the future.

I am using using/will be using the drives for the multimedia. Manually for Music.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4

High quality video is where the space goes... even uncompressed audio can't compete
--
♬ Dragon of good fortune struggles with the trickster Fox ♬

Oleg
Premium
Birmingham, AL

True that. a good quality HD movie is 6-8GB, and one uncompressed audio album is around 700MB.

kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium
join:2002-03-27
Syracuse, NY
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Oleg

All 4 desktops in the house have a SSD of varying sizes and a 1 TB HDD WD Black. I have two 3TB external server/cloud WD Green drives. Plus I have 4 1TB WD Greens back up drives that are not kept in any of the computers. None of them are anywhere near full.

I had storage problems back when storage wasn't so cheap so when the prices came down I loaded up and I'm thinking of doing it again.
--
Nothing can bring you peace but the triumph of principles - Boyd Crowder

Oleg
Premium
Birmingham, AL

Yeap. IDE drives were shake.

Kilroy
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-21
Saint Paul, MN
reply to Oleg

If you don't have a use for it yes. But, how do you get by with only 3TB? I've got 12TB in my main machine, a 3TB NAS, a 4TB USB drive connected to my router, and I don't know how many 2TB and smaller drives just laying around. I've ripped all of my music, over 1,000 CDs and some of my DVDs, out of my 2,000+ collection.

And I was looking at the 4TB drive New Egg had today for $170 or so. As others said, you can never have too much storage.
--
“Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something.” ¯ Robert A. Heinlein

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
reply to Oleg

What's everyone's thoughts on Drobo? My dad, an Apple fanatic, swears by his.

Kilroy
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-21
Saint Paul, MN

said by Krisnatharok:

I have been wanting one, but comments have been when it fails, it fails totally and your data is gone. Pretty much the same I've heard about on board RAID. I lost about 5TB of data when the RAID5 array I set up failed due to a driver issue. Granted that 5TB was DVD rips from my collection so no loss other than time.
--
“Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something.” ¯ Robert A. Heinlein

Oleg
Premium
Birmingham, AL

said by Kilroy:

said by Krisnatharok:

I have been wanting one, but comments have been when it fails, it fails totally and your data is gone. Pretty much the same I've heard about on board RAID. I lost about 5TB of data when the RAID5 array I set up failed due to a driver issue. Granted that 5TB was DVD rips from my collection so no loss other than time.

I think that koitsu works in data recovery field.