gatorkram
Need for Speed
Premium
join:2002-07-22
Winterville, NC
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Suddenlink

[Poll] Would you be willing to cancel...

...your internet service for a period of time in protest against some practice you were unhappy with?

Poll

1. Yes

2. No

Votes:34

--
edit: changed word "month" to "a period of time" before any votes were cast.

What the heck is a GatorKram? »www.gatorkram.com

gatorkram
Need for Speed
Premium
Winterville, NC
Reviews:
·Suddenlink

I only gave a simple yes or no option to a more complex issue for myself.

I voted yes, but I think I would only do it, if I knew other people were also doing it, as I think just one person trying to do it, wouldn't have much of an impact, but if it was organized, and we all picked the same day to cancel, and it was known, say here on the boards we were doing it, I am pretty sure I would do it.
--

moldypickle

join:2009-01-04
Haughton, LA
Reviews:
·Suddenlink

Not sure I can really answer. Currently, probably no since I have no other real options to connect short of physically moving. Really don't have a problem canceling tv service though.

To be effective though, you'd need several thousand if not MUCH more to get a point across. I doubt if even ALL the users here on the forum were to cancel, that it would even make a wave in SL business model sadly.
--
30/2 Suddenlink : Current
5/1 CMA : Old
15/2 TWC : Old

gatorkram
Need for Speed
Premium
Winterville, NC
Reviews:
·Suddenlink

I agree, its hard to know if it would do any good or not. I do know, one time, blizzard was talking about forcing the use of real names on their forums, in concert with their rollout of "realid" and tons and tons of people complained, and tons of people canceled service in protest. It only took a few days for the announcement that they changed their minds.

I think it could work, and it might not take as many people as we might think, as long as everyone acted together, and made sure to give the reason they are canceling service.

I agree it would be a hard thing to do for some, but even if it were for a day or two, the impact on their call centers, or chat wouldn't be simple to miss, if a couple hundred people actually did it, and maybe 100s more were in support of the idea. Maybe I am dreaming.
--

gatorkram
Need for Speed
Premium
Winterville, NC
reply to gatorkram

50/50 so far....

Keep voting please.

Thanks.

J a y

@suddenlink.net

I would. I dont think I will be happy until SL is subject to the Arizona corporation commission as the monopoly utility company that they are in Northern Arizona.

Cabal
Premium
join:2007-01-21
Reviews:
·Suddenlink

said by J a y :

I would. I dont think I will be happy until SL is subject to the Arizona corporation commission as the monopoly utility company that they are in Northern Arizona.

If you thought your bill was high now...
--
If you can't open it, you don't own it.

ScooterTejas

@cebridge.net

No way. I'd move to another ISP and be done with it. If I had no other option, and I don't consider DSL or satellite viable, I'd scream at SL and raise the issue with my city officials.

sj

join:2007-08-21
Winterville, NC
reply to gatorkram

I answered no. I never even come close to my cap. Why the hell should I care?

If anything, I'm tired of of subsidizing people who use bandwidth just because they can. Make it tiered like wireless data (which might I add I never come anywhere close to that cap either).

If I use more power, the electricity bill goes up
If I use more water, both the water and sewer bills go up
If I drive more than usual, I pay more in gas
If I eat more, I buy more food (all-you-can-eat food sucks; if we liken that to internet....that would be Embarq and that's why I'm not their customer anymore)

I have to pay Suddenlink if I want more TV channels.

Why is internet any different?

moldypickle

Haughton, LA

Because all those examples are usage based. We're still charged a flat fee for the internet. If i don't use a lot of bandwidth, my bill doesn't go down any.

sj

Winterville, NC

That's why I say I'd rather see usage tiers like wireless.

moldypickle

Haughton, LA
Reviews:
·Suddenlink

In essence, we do have tiers currently, just on a larger scale. In the cell phone industry, you pay a monthly fee for your phone/minutes, and then a tiered price based on PRE allotted data allowance. With SL you are paying a monthly fee for your tv and/or speed tier of internet that comes with a PRE allotted data allowance with a tiered fee passed that limit.

The four examples you point out are TRUE usage based billing. Cell phone data isn't. If it was, then my cell bill would be about 15% of what it costs me now.
--

ScooterTejas

@cebridge.net

Many utilities like water charge you a flat fee that includes x number of gallons, if you exceed the cap you pay more. They price each follow on tier at progressively higher rates to discourage pigs. If you don't use your initial allotment their is no refund. Hmmm sounds very similar.

nope

@mycingular.net

right, like that part where I pay the majority of my water bill based on how big the water pipe coming to my house is. because that's why someone would want a huge waterpipe right? so they could use the same amount of water as the guy with the small pipe, just really fast!

so, which suddenlink executive are you? if you're so confident in your business model, why are you hiding like a coward?

moldypickle

Haughton, LA
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
reply to ScooterTejas

I've never had a water company yet that has charged a flat fee, they have all been strictly usage based. Trash and the other stuff was flat ofcourse.

Actually, I do have a flat fee for water now, but it is a very small local water system run by an individual. $15/month, no usage fee. Not your typical water system

ScooterTejas

@cebridge.net

See how it goes up the pigger you get? lol and yes the rates also vary by the size of the pipe.

»www.dallascityhall.com/dwu/billi···hly.html

sj

Winterville, NC
reply to gatorkram

I'd love to see them uncap the transfer speed and then offer tiers of data volume that can be bought. Data speed and data volume do not necessarily correlate. I have a gig fiber connection at work but never average much volume on it. However when I download an update file from Apple or Microsoft, it's wonderful having it come in as if it were on my local network.

I used to buy into this "caps are bad omgz i need my interwebz" crap until I started looking at average usage, my own and others. Just because the internet has tons of movies you can torrent does not mean you need to get all of them RIGHT NOW. There are only so many hours in a day.

orly

@suddenlink.net
reply to ScooterTejas

said by ScooterTejas :

Many utilities like water charge you a flat fee that includes x number of gallons, if you exceed the cap you pay more. They price each follow on tier at progressively higher rates to discourage pigs. If you don't use your initial allotment their is no refund. Hmmm sounds very similar.

So tell us, how much data do they keep on reserve? What percentage of their money would you say, is spent on gathering data and then treating that data for users? Do they have to go drill data wells? I mean all of the data is Suddenlinks data right? They're creating/gathering all of the data, and then sending that data to my house right? When I'm paying extra for data, it's because data costs time and resources for Suddenlink to create correct?

I mean you seem to think this is such a brilliant analogy, yet are forgetting that my water bill isn't based on how much water the pipe system can provide, it's based on the water itself. And I can tell you right now, Suddenlink hasn't created a damn thing that would keep them in business if it were left up to them to provide the content that their network uses.

gatorkram
Need for Speed
Premium
Winterville, NC
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
reply to gatorkram

I don't understand how this poll has so many views, and so few votes. I wonder if you can't vote if you aren't a member, or not signed in.
--

gatorkram
Need for Speed
Premium
Winterville, NC
reply to gatorkram

The lines have been drawn. The usage limits have been reestablished.
--

Wv29999

join:2013-05-05
Oak Hill, WV

my biggest day has been 7.86 gb in the last few days but i've been in bed sick.I don't like the double dipping idea of caps.But if your going cap us at least 350gb should be more like 700gb if i want to stay up late game etc.Some people don't realize what a netflix movie in 1080p can cause

moldypickle

Haughton, LA
Reviews:
·Suddenlink

I netflix every day and stream the radio while I game, I go between 6-10 gigs every day. Have to watch when I buy STEAM games also, had a few days of 30-40 gigs just casually downloading a couple games. And that usage only happens between 3-10pm for me, after that, my connection is practically off. If I start hitting the cap just using every day normal things, tv will be the first to get canceled to help offset the overages >.>

Wonder how quick the new 'super netflix' will chew through my data. Just seen that my connection got the green light. On the streams that are encoded, looks like it'll pretty much double the size, lol. I sure am glad these caps are in place!
--

Lindsey

join:2008-12-16
Gypsy, WV
reply to gatorkram

I have no clue how soo many go over..we have never even came close to cap in my house and we have 2 ppl that game all the time and one that uses netflix every night.

moldypickle

Haughton, LA

Gaming uses an incredibly small amount of bandwidth. And for netflix, are you watching an hour of SD stream, or 3 hours of HD?

Wv29999

join:2013-05-05
Oak Hill, WV

i dont download or upload i just stream thats whats makes my allmost 8gb that day a wild figure---really watching the bing bang on justin tv would make it allmost 8gb?

Lindsey

join:2008-12-16
Gypsy, WV
reply to moldypickle

its my brother that uses netfix..not sure what he does, but im sure its hd

TurboNerd

join:2013-02-22
Clovis, NM
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
reply to gatorkram

said by gatorkram:

I only gave a simple yes or no option to a more complex issue for myself.

I voted yes, but I think I would only do it, if I knew other people were also doing it, as I think just one person trying to do it, wouldn't have much of an impact, but if it was organized, and we all picked the same day to cancel, and it was known, say here on the boards we were doing it, I am pretty sure I would do it.

Gang/Mob mentality there
You shouldn't make your decision because you want to make a point and stick it to the man. Just make a decision.

If they did a practice (in this instance you are referring to a cap) you don't agree with then leave.

If they capped me, and it doesn't affect me I wouldn't. But if my reasonable increase of usage for the new "basic" tasks caused it to affect me I am gone.

Some people didn't consider streaming video CuSeeMee, streaming audio/video RealAudio as reasonable use of the internet when animated GIF's were the top of the line.

mcsjr454

join:2013-06-25
Cedar Grove, WV
reply to gatorkram

I use the saying speak your wallet for everything I do in life. If a service isn't up to my standards, I am positive there is 100 other providers of the same service who will gladly take my money and give me what I expect. Don't get me wrong, I am also a dedicated person, and will work with a good company or service. But the second that line is crossed and I get pushed to the side it is adios amigos.

moldypickle

Haughton, LA

In this instance, that means if you feel your isp is overcharging you, you would literally move your residence to be in the service area of a new isp O.o

mcsjr454

join:2013-06-25
Cedar Grove, WV

I wouldn't have to change residence, contrary to what is advertised, Fios is available just 3 houses away, DSL is an option, albeit a poor one, and there is 1 wireless provider I get a strong signal on. I also have the option of starting my own wireless company. But for time being, everyone has been very helpful and considerate at Suddenlink, and I have to commend them for dealing with someone who is as big of an a-hole as I am.

The only two things I would like to see in a perfect world, is the ability to pay for only the channels I want, get rid of the Fluff channels, and to be able to use my Television without a box without having to purchase a new television. But these are very low on my satisfaction priority list.