All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs

richrockstar
join:2013-04-22
Wake Forest, NC

richrockstar to brad152

to brad152

Re: Talked CL into Provisioning 40/5, how many issues?

How did you talk them into it? I have heard 40 is available here in Wake Forest, NC, but they are saying im too far (im 3800 feet from C.O.).

I currently have 2 lines, both are VDSL2 8A. One is for Prism TV w/ 3HD streams, and 1 is for 25mb/2mb DSL.

Curious about what upgrades centurylink are going to roll out, they continue to be quiet about them, which is aggravating. My LTE cell phone gets higher speeds than this hardwired DSL.
TheMayor
join:2002-05-09

TheMayor

I think it depends on who you talk to in tech support. Also do you know what speeds some of your neighbors can get?

When I was able to order vdsl2, my line was provisioned for 12/896k, while a few neighbor's line was provisioned for 20/896. When I called tech support, I asked about this & if they could check my line to see if I was that much further out.

Come to find out that I wasn't that much further out & he couldn't see why my line wasn't also provisioned for 20/896. He then went above & beyond & asked if he could try their higher speed tiers on my line to see if the modem would lock on & if there was any errors. First he tried 20/896 & no problems. Next he tried 20/5 & still no problems. Finally he tried 40/5 & the modem didn't want to lock on (after letting it try for about 5 minutes).

He then mentioned he had to send the data to the local engineer, who would make the final decision if my line provision speed could be changed or not. The tech guy called me back about an hour later, saying my line provision speed was changed, so I could order 40/5 at the highest. Tech support mentioned while I couldn't get the modem to connect with that speed, it was possible that the DSL tech, might be able to get it to work, if I wanted to order that speed.
brad152
join:2006-07-27
Chicago, IL

brad152 to richrockstar

to richrockstar
Well i just called and escalated until i got someone who knew how to provision it, how i did it was by asking what i could get on a business account, and sure enough 40/5 was available to me.

Once i got to retentions and escalated to her supervisor i was offered 40/5 for $45/mo for a year (with a contract of course)

Oh and to the LTE statement, it's speed is so variable, i went from 2Mbps-70Mbps on VZW LTE in Phoenix, and T-Mobile's (new) lte network does the same, i'll take a consistent 20-40Mbps hardline connection over a cellular connection any day!

richrockstar
Wake Forest, NC

richrockstar

Do you know the distance between you and the C.O.? I plugged in other street numbers on my street and I do have neighbors able to get 40.
GetMoney
join:2010-06-11

GetMoney to richrockstar

to richrockstar
said by richrockstar:

Curious about what upgrades centurylink are going to roll out, they continue to be quiet about them, which is aggravating.

I think you've been spoiled by watching the news about the big providers like Verizon, AT&T and Comcast providing information about their "upgrades". CenturyLink, while the 3rd largest phone company in the nation, is still considered a regional or rural telco. Their competition while strong in some areas (lots of areas) is weak in others. Therefore they lose a competitive advantage if they "announce" upgrades. The competitors then target those areas and try to beat them to the punch. If you're in Wake Forest I'm sure you've seen how slowly they've rolled out Prism and 25M. They announce upgrades and almost anyone can beat them to it. It's like the tortoise vs. the hare, but this time the tortoise actually is last, like everyone expects.

Oh and my whole point was this, SORRY ITS AGGRAVATING!!! What in the world else do you need from them if you have 3HD Prism and 25M???? Greedy much?

richrockstar
Wake Forest, NC

richrockstar

What difference does it make to you? If I want to spend my money on slow or fast internet, that is up to me. I prefer to have a higher capacity internet at my home for a slew of needs: telecommuting, Netflix in multiple rooms, Skype video chats w/ family... we have a lot of needs for it, 25 is sufficient for now, but it has reached it's heyday... TWC by comparison has had 50/5 here for a couple years.... and centurylink has had 25/2 available at our home for years now (not a slow rollout as you put it). We are not a 1 or 2 person household, my kids watch shows... my wife and I watch shows.... 2HD was AGGRIVATING... 3HD is not that much better! TWC can push 4HD streams over TiVo, directv 5HD streams over genie... that is becoming the norm... more HD, more bandwidth... more money for companies who provide those services.
brad152
Chicago, IL

brad152 to richrockstar

to richrockstar
I have no idea honestly how far i am from the CO, but if i type a neighbor's address two doors down i, i can order 40 as a residential.

I would just call up and ask about what you can get as a business account and use that as leverage, as if you have Prism, you most likely could easily get 40.
GetMoney
join:2010-06-11

GetMoney to richrockstar

to richrockstar
So if TWC offers better speeds. Why not get their service? Prism may have been available at your address for years but many areas there still don't have the service available. Consider yourself lucky.
brad152
Chicago, IL

brad152

I hate TWC and Cox.. i refuse to give either one a dime of my money.

Cox never gets the billing right, and Time Warner (when i had them back east) never seemed to show up when a problem arose, i had fuzzy analog channels anywhere i moved and the customer service was horrible.

I'll stick to my DirecTV and DSL. Never once have i had an issue with it, and CL has usually given me what i've asked for without much hassle and anytime something's broken they always fix it.

it helps that i have two DSL accounts with them in two different states too, they tend to usually say thanks for that the rare times i have to call them.
brad152

brad152

Well i got home today and had the dreaded red blinking DSL light, and CenturyLink is sending a tech tomorrow to see what's wrong. Just hoping they do not make me take my upload speed back to 896k, as i cannot function on that anymore (been using a lot of google drive to share files and such), i'm just glad T-Mobile throws in 500MB of free tethering, or else i would not be online at all tonight.

If they cannot get the line back up, i will have to give Cox a call and see what they'll charge me just for internet.

I stayed up for five days without one retrain getting 40/3.5, so my line should be able to keep the 40/5, but if not i'll be going back to Cox's 50/10 and paying more, but oh well.