Click for full size
Cut in the 3
Click for full size

Ripped out the single box and installed a double gang

everything repainted, all electrical done, and ethernet lines ran
Click for full size
Installed underlayment

First row of bamboo going down, probably hardest part of the project

Nearly all bamboo done, used staples on this one, probably should of used cleats
Click for full size
The custom door my wife wanted, pine door, bitch to stain, she liked it though
Click for full size
New register vent to replace the crappy ones
Click for full size
Pretty much all done, trim installed, next all the little things
Click for full size
All the pieces for her new comnputer desk, FML
Click for full size
Done, wasn't that bad.
Click for full size
I gel stained the closet doors, have to redo one of them, but turned out good
Click for full size
She just loves her door
Click for full size
The 32" Sony for when she is on the treadmill to watch Netflix
Click for full size
Move in day for all her computer gear, also the floating shelves I installed above the desk
Click for full size
closet area will house Network stuff, wireless printer, Xbox360 and DirecTV Box
So my wife wanted her own office instead of the upstairs loft. So I set out to convert a spare bedroom that was used as a makeshift work out room/kids XBOX room into her new office. Here are the pictures of the project.

jjoshua
Premium
join:2001-06-01
Scotch Plains, NJ
kudos:3

Looks good!

Why did you use underlayment? That's hardwood, right?

alkizmo

join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC
kudos:1

1 recommendation

reply to bryank

You sir must love your wife a WHOLE LOT!

I would never pull wire inside walls just because she wanted a fancy dandy office. I'd just say "These surface mount white channels are all the rage in offices!".

Questions:

1 - Considering the treadmill and x-box I assume this was your mancave.. Is a basement reno in the planning stages?

2 - Is your wife a pants-suit kinda gal? Because that office screams pants-suit. My wife is a pants-suit, mixed with womanly disorganization. He desk is 3x the size of yours and she manages to cover it all with 3" of paper.

bryank

join:2000-03-23
Plainfield, IL

1 recommendation

reply to bryank

There was no "real" reason for the underlayment but I heard good reviews on this product for sound dampening...so I went with it. Our basement is finished, as my man cave back in 2007. This room was mainly the kids xbox room and her workout area. The kids will be moving into the loft area where her office was at some point; for now they play Xbox on our TV in the master bedroom.

My wife is not at all a pants-suit kind of girl, more of a Khakis/Jeans & Casual Shirts...and she plays World of Warcraft too much. She is very disorganized (which I now think all of them are like this) but I give it a week before she destroys the office with shit everywhere.

As for running wires in the wall, it's what I do for a living as a home theater installer, so it's easy to do.

alkizmo

Pierrefonds, QC

said by bryank:

I give it a week before she destroys the office with shit everywhere.

/facepalm
OF COURSE!
You setup that office's style. You're the pants suit girl guy!

said by bryank:

As for running wires in the wall, it's what I do for a living as a home theater installer, so it's easy to do.

I'm a financial analyst/underwriter and my wife still asks me to select paint colors with her (To which I only reply: A single color reduces costs!).

But grats to you for pulling all those wires! I wouldn't even bother pulling wires as it would result in me drilling through an electrical wire (I did that once, good thing I had the common sense to put any nearby circuits on AFCI+GFCI). I'd just smash the drywall and start from scratch if I HAD to do it (seems like I'm good at taping).

fartness
computersoc dot com
Premium
join:2003-03-25
Look Outside
reply to bryank

Are those trim pieces that go over the flooring (the white ones) one piece or two? What do you do when two pieces meet so there's no line? I'm having a similar project done now. Just curious.

alkizmo

Pierrefonds, QC

said by fartness:

Are those trim pieces that go over the flooring (the white ones) one piece or two? What do you do when two pieces meet so there's no line? I'm having a similar project done now. Just curious.

Guessing by the size of the room: 1 piece per straight run.

I'm researching into that as well since I'm going to do crown molding and baseboards for 21 feet straight runs, so there will be at least one cut. PM me in a few weeks for details (I should have found the answer by then).

alkizmo

Pierrefonds, QC
reply to bryank

said by bryank:

She is very disorganized (which I now think all of them are like this)

BTW I forgot to add to the irony on this: My wife (the one with 3" of paper over 20 square feet of desk space) is a chartered accountant. Go figure.

bryank

join:2000-03-23
Plainfield, IL

1 edit
reply to bryank

The trim is two pieces..a baseboard and a shoe molding. The shoe molding sits pretty tight to the baseboard once brad nailed in place, but you can use white painters caulk to fill gaps (or loose spots) which I did on the top of the baseboards since the walls in my house are wavy.

alkizmo

Pierrefonds, QC

said by bryank:

The trim is two pieces..a baseboard and a shoe molding. The shoe molding sits pretty tight to the baseboard once braid nailed in place, but you can use white painters caulk to fill gaps (or loose spots) which I did on the top of the baseboards since the walls in my house are wavy.

Q for you:

If you had to choose between a bad and finish nailer to do all your finishing (moldings, trims, baseboards), which would it be? I don't feel like buying both

seederjed
Premium
join:2005-02-28
Norcross, GA

Each one serves a different purpose.
The trim gun is for the heavy lifting, installing doors, trim, etc
The brad nailer ( or stapler) is for the light stuff, screen molding, lattice, shoe mold, etc
I have both and would never go with just one gun.
Check pawn shops. Senco has a 3 gun kit with the trim gun, stapler and brad nailer.

workablob

join:2004-06-09
Houston, TX
kudos:3

1 recommendation

reply to bryank

You SIR have done a wonderful job!!

Dave

The E
Please allow me to retort
Premium
join:2002-05-26
Burnaby, BC
reply to bryank

Very, very nice job!

sempergoofy
Premium
join:2001-07-06
Smyrna, GA
reply to bryank

Nice job. You should be proud of it. Thanks for sharing.
--
nohup rm -fr /&

Jon
Premium
join:2001-01-20
Lisle, IL
reply to fartness

said by fartness:

You cut 45s where they meet. Caulk, paint and the line disappears. at least that's how I've always done it.