This is a sub-selection from New technologies
openbox9
Premium Member
join:2004-01-26

openbox9 to NetFixer

Premium Member

to NetFixer

Re: New technologies

Or more likely, T will continue bonding copper pairs, implement vectoring when it's ready, and slowly expand Uverse across more of its plant.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by openbox9:

Or more likely, T will continue bonding copper pairs, implement vectoring when it's ready, and slowly expand Uverse across more of its plant.

We obviously don't reside in the same galaxy.
openbox9
Premium Member

openbox9

Premium Member

No, I think we do. I think you're more interested in poking AT&T, then legitimately discussing its plans for infrastructure upgrades/modifications.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by openbox9:

No, I think we do. I think you're more interested in poking AT&T, then legitimately discussing its plans for infrastructure upgrades/modifications.

Besides living in an area where AT&T is the ILEC (and seeing what is and isn't being done), all I have to do is read recent PR statements from AT&T's executives to know that they are definitely planning on dumping copper infrastructure as quickly as they can get relief from the regulations that require them to continue maintaining it. Anyone who is not aware of that, is definitely not living in the galaxy where the AT&T we all know and love operates.

And don't put me into the totally anti-AT&T crowd; I use AT&T Mobility because (at least in this area) they have the best coverage and most reliable service. Wireless is one thing that AT&T does indeed put money into both for maintenance and expansion.

DSL expansion or upgrade? Not around here.

U-verse expansion? Not around here.

They did recently start the "upgrade" process to replace ATM based DSL with IPDSL branded U-verse service in the areas that are served by the CO (instead of from an RT based DSLAM). But that is not expansion, nor is it really an upgrade (the available speed options are exactly the same as for the ATM based DSL that is being phased out...the only difference is that the customer is forced to purchase a new modem). I would love to have the option of getting 24/3 mbps (or faster) VDSL U-verse service , but I have literally been told by local techs and engineers* "not in your lifetime".

* I am recently retired, but I worked with local AT&T techs and network engineers on numerous enterprise level accounts prior to that (and I still have local contacts).
openbox9
Premium Member

openbox9

Premium Member

said by NetFixer:

all I have to do is read recent PR statements from AT&T's executives to know that they are definitely planning on dumping copper infrastructure as quickly as they can get relief from the regulations that require them to continue maintaining it.

And AT&T's Uverse markets and other areas that it makes sense to upgrade? Or are you simply assuming that AT&T is going to sell all of its residential wireline markets off once it gets them deregulated? Hint, it's not.
said by NetFixer:

Wireless is one thing that AT&T does indeed put money into both for maintenance and expansion.

Because of the ROI.
said by NetFixer:

DSL expansion or upgrade? Not around here.

U-verse expansion? Not around here.

Just wait. I'm on the record for suggesting that T and VZ will increase CAPEX in their wireline infrastructure after their LTE builds are complete. Maybe I'll be proven wrong, but I'm betting otherwise.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by openbox9:

And AT&T's Uverse markets and other areas that it makes sense to upgrade? Or are you simply assuming that AT&T is going to sell all of its residential wireline markets off once it gets them deregulated? Hint, it's not.

Just wait. I'm on the record for suggesting that T and VZ will increase CAPEX in their wireline infrastructure after their LTE builds are complete. Maybe I'll be proven wrong, but I'm betting otherwise.

I think that you have misinterpreted AT&T's LTE plans for the future. We are not talking just about the current state of LTE as a mobile platform transport, but also about a fixed LTE deployment that will initially replace wireline DSL and POTS, and eventually be the "last mile" for U-verse as well. It will be what Clearwire could/should have been if they had the capital and political influence that AT&T has.

AT&T's ultimate goal is to rid themselves totally from copper wireline maintenance (and that will decimate the CWA as well).
openbox9
Premium Member

openbox9

Premium Member

said by NetFixer:

I think that you have misinterpreted AT&T's LTE plans for the future. We are not talking just about the current state of LTE as a mobile platform transport, but also about a fixed LTE deployment that will initially replace wireline DSL and POTS, and eventually be the "last mile" for U-verse as well.

No, we're talking about mobile LTE and fixed LTE to fill the gaps where it doesn't make sense from a business perspective to upgrade the wired infrastructure.
said by NetFixer:

AT&T's ultimate goal is to rid themselves totally from copper wireline maintenance (and that will decimate the CWA as well).

Granted, breaking the unions would be helpful from a business perspective, but I don't believe AT&T wants to get rid of all of its wireline infrastructure. That simply does not make sense.
New DSL Speeds »
This is a sub-selection from New technologies