spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

jpetersack

join:2001-04-04
Mountain View, CA

[West] Switching from DSL Pro to Uverse?

I am 15000 feet from CO with Pro service that nets at about 2.3 Mbits download. I have a home run installation.
I would like to switch to Uverse just for Internet. The VSLAM is at 2500 feet. My next door neighbor gets 12 Mbits/sec service.
What/who should I talk to to update to this type of service? Any special promotions for Internet only here in Northern California?
Joe

jpetersack

join:2001-04-04
Mountain View, CA

Oops - I meant VRAD.

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL
kudos:1
reply to jpetersack

Well first of all UVERSE like cable makes it very unattractive to do internet only they want to sell you the whole TV/Phone/Net bundle.

And if you do switch to Uverse you will never be able to go back to DSL.... existing customers are so far tolerated but you can no longer make service changes where UVERSE is present.

So be sure you want to commit to that first.

--

bigozone1

join:2013-02-08
Corbin, KY
Reviews:
·AT&T DSL Service
·AT&T Southeast
reply to jpetersack

my parents just signed up and have 18Mbs/3Mbs now... their cable was delivering on average 3Mbps/1Mbps at best.

now at peek times they get 14M down and 2.5M up w/ 29ms pings.

and no mention of tv service. they can't in this city.

hope u get that lucky.... otherwise keep the DSL

dmagerl
Premium
join:2007-08-06
Woodstock, IL
reply to jpetersack

When I tried switching to Uverse, I was told I had to move both my DSL and my phone to Uverse. I couldnt just move DSL over.

I assume thats because one's phone line gets connected to the VRAD and not the CO and therefore the phone also has to come from the VRAD, but I'm just guessing here.

I didnt switch.

ILpt4U
Premium
join:2006-11-12
Lisle, IL
kudos:9
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

said by dmagerl:

When I tried switching to Uverse, I was told I had to move both my DSL and my phone to Uverse. I couldnt just move DSL over.

I assume thats because one's phone line gets connected to the VRAD and not the CO and therefore the phone also has to come from the VRAD, but I'm just guessing here.

I didnt switch.

Tell them you need the POTS line for an alarm, or even that you simply reject the e911 VoIP agreement, and you NEED POTS

You can most certainly keep POTS with U-Verse - there is no VoIP requirement. POTS can either be on a separate pair, or ADSL2+/VDSL2 U-Verse can be line shared, just like old ADSL.

If you do keep POTS with U-Verse, be aware you will get separate bills from AT&T - one for POTS, one for U-Verse

GusHerb94

join:2011-11-04
Chicago, IL
kudos:1

That's how we used to have it, when we had Uverse. I refuse to switch to a VOIP service that I basically have no control of. Learned the hard way after a 4 day long debacle with Comcast with 3 CDV lines in a business that weren't working properly.

Anyway, stayed with POTS, two separate bills. There is still some sort of bundling discount on the POTS side though when you have Uverse. If they tell you you must switch to Uvoice, then you should probably say goodbye and call back again, many of the call centers that you get sent to are just ruthless sales people.