dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
« Thoughts on a GrillCaulk or Grout? »
page: 1 · 2 · next
This is a sub-selection from Sump Pump question, Help!

SuperNet
Go Ninja,Go Ninja Go..
Premium Member
join:2002-10-08
Hoffman Estates, IL

SuperNet

Premium Member

Re: Sump Pump question, Help!

Thanks everyone for there input.

So no one knows what that sound is at the 29 second mark on the YouTube video? Is it normal?

PSWired
join:2006-03-26
Annapolis, MD

PSWired

I can't really tell what that sound is. When does the pump finally start?

SuperNet
Go Ninja,Go Ninja Go..
Premium Member
Hoffman Estates, IL

SuperNet

Premium Member

said by PSWired:

I can't really tell what that sound is. When does the pump finally start?

Not too sure, Knock on wood but i don't see the water on the floor at all, so it must be doing its job but im scared about that sound.

PSWired
Annapolis, MD

PSWired

Does the float switch on this pump have a pass-through plug like this:

SuperNet
Go Ninja,Go Ninja Go..
Premium Member
Hoffman Estates, IL

SuperNet

Premium Member

said by PSWired:

Does the float switch on this pump have a pass-through plug like this:
">

Nope, it is only 1 power plug... The float is attached to the sump pump...

PSWired
Annapolis, MD

PSWired

Hm. If it were mine and a pump failure could cause flood damage, I'd replace the pump. Then I'd take the old one apart to see if the float switch could be replaced. I'd then keep the old pump as a spare once it was fixed.

SuperNet
Go Ninja,Go Ninja Go..
Premium Member
Hoffman Estates, IL

SuperNet

Premium Member

said by PSWired:

Hm. If it were mine and a pump failure could cause flood damage, I'd replace the pump. Then I'd take the old one apart to see if the float switch could be replaced. I'd then keep the old pump as a spare once it was fixed.

»www.amazon.com/Fpsc2250a ··· points=1

Read that person's review... does that sound like my sound/issue?
Stevert
join:2001-10-23
Algonquin, IL

Stevert to SuperNet

to SuperNet
said by SuperNet:

So no one knows what that sound is at the 29 second mark on the YouTube video? Is it normal?

You mean that metallic, rattling sound? No, that's not normal. All you should hear is the hum of the motor and maybe the "swoosh" of the water through the pipe if you're close enough.

Yours sounds like it has some sort of mechanical issue: Something rattling around in the impeller cage, a loose impeller, or shot bearing or something. It's hard to make out exactly what it is, but it certainly isn't anything you should be hearing from a sump pump.

Replace it.

I have one of these, bought it probably ten years ago or so and it still works fine: »www.farmandfleet.com/pro ··· ump.html

PSWired
Annapolis, MD

PSWired to SuperNet

to SuperNet
said by SuperNet:

said by PSWired:

»www.amazon.com/Fpsc2250a ··· points=1

Read that person's review... does that sound like my sound/issue?

That review describes a different type of float switch, the kind that rides on a vertical shaft. Yours is the type pictured above, attached to the end of a flexible cable. Symptoms are similar though.
PSWired

PSWired to Stevert

to Stevert
said by Stevert:

said by SuperNet:

You mean that metallic, rattling sound? No, that's not normal. All you should hear is the hum of the motor and maybe the "swoosh" of the water through the pipe if you're close enough.

Yours sounds like it has some sort of mechanical issue: Something rattling around in the impeller cage, a loose impeller, or shot bearing or something. It's hard to make out exactly what it is, but it certainly isn't anything you should be hearing from a sump pump.

Replace it.

I have one of these, bought it probably ten years ago or so and it still works fine: »www.farmandfleet.com/pro ··· ump.html

When I listened to the video, I thought the rattling sound was something in the background? Is that right?

SuperNet
Go Ninja,Go Ninja Go..
Premium Member
Hoffman Estates, IL

SuperNet

Premium Member

said by PSWired:

said by Stevert:

said by SuperNet:

Replace it.

When I listened to the video, I thought the rattling sound was something in the background? Is that right?

The rattle is rain coming from the heat pipe thing on the roof ( not to sure what it is called)
SuperNet

2 edits

SuperNet

Premium Member

»www.homedepot.com/p/Wayn ··· 0?N=12l3

How is that one?

OR

»www.homedepot.com/p/Zoel ··· 03169638

with
»www.homedepot.com/p/Zoel ··· 04141272
67845017 (banned)
join:2000-12-17
Naperville, IL

67845017 (banned)

I would maybe consider the one with the float switch for $10 more.

Our prior sump pump (Wayne) had the vertical switch that floated along a wire. After about 8 years, the wire corroded away. Very annoying. That being said, I went to the hardware store and bought a piece of wire and cut/bent it to my needs and it worked fine for two more years until we had the hard rain a couple of years ago. The 1/3 HP unit just couldn't handle it so I bought the 1 HP unit we have now.

I don't know how much rain you get up there, but Naperville has a bad habit of flooding. This year and back in 1996 were two "100 year" floods that we had. For that reason I'd suggest at least 1/2 HP. But where you are may not have the same issues and 1/3 may be fine.
GusHerb
join:2011-11-04
Chicago, IL

GusHerb to SuperNet

to SuperNet
That is very interesting, I never noticed that. It's probably something recent within the past several months. Also this probably means the local supply houses I visit will be discontinuing Zoeller at some point....they hold a big grudge against companies that sell the same thing at the big box...

Jon5
Premium Member
join:2001-01-20
Lisle, IL

Jon5 to 67845017

Premium Member

to 67845017
I have that one, I don't like it. Feels kinda cheap and it's short. There's always some water in my sump pit so I had to put a couple of bricks on the bottom and raise it up or it was running constantly.

I had a RIDGID that I liked a lot. It had a detached float switch that attached to the pipe so I could adjust the height.

Of the ones you posted, If you have the money, I'd go with the Zoeller + backup kit.
said by 67845017:

I don't know how much rain you get up there, but Naperville has a bad habit of flooding.

If he's still in Harwood Heights, depending on where, the Des plains river runs right past there. My brother lived in some apartments in Harwood Heights by the river and it flooded just about every year.
67845017 (banned)
Naperville, IL

67845017 (banned) to GusHerb

to GusHerb
Zoellers aren't that great anyway. They are made in China now. In the flooding we had recently, one of our neighbors had dual Zoeller pumps. They both failed and their basement got flooded. I'd say they are no better or worse than most other sump pumps.

67845017 (banned) to Jon5

to Jon5
said by Jon5:

said by 67845017:

I don't know how much rain you get up there, but Naperville has a bad habit of flooding.

If he's still in Harwood Heights, depending on where, the Des plains river runs right past there. My brother lived in some apartments in Harwood Heights by the river and it flooded just about every year.

I believe he's in Schaumburg now.
GusHerb
join:2011-11-04
Chicago, IL

GusHerb to 67845017

to 67845017
said by 67845017:

Zoellers aren't that great anyway. They are made in China now. In the flooding we had recently, one of our neighbors had dual Zoeller pumps. They both failed and their basement got flooded. I'd say they are no better or worse than most other sump pumps.

That's why I've been using Hydromatic. But to be honest the last two I bought were in 2008 and 2009, so I have no clue where they are made anymore too. The float switches usually are the first to fail in the Zoellers.
We actually have one in our sump pit, 22 years old, still pumps ok but were so high up that the water table never reaches the drain tile therefore never has been any water in the sump pit.
67845017 (banned)
Naperville, IL

67845017 (banned)

said by GusHerb:

We actually have one in our sump pit, 22 years old, still pumps ok but were so high up that the water table never reaches the drain tile therefore never has been any water in the sump pit.

Not a bad problem to have.

Bamafan2277
Premium Member
join:2008-09-20
Jeffersonville, IN

Bamafan2277 to 67845017

Premium Member

to 67845017
Zoeller's are still made in Louisville KY. They have bought out other brands that were made over seas though. The actuall Zoeller brand is still made in the states.
67845017 (banned)
Naperville, IL

1 edit

67845017 (banned)

That makes sense. Even then, I don't think they're any better than any other pump. Who knows where the parts are sourced and what quality they are regardless of source.

Edit: I think the Zoeller with the cast iron impeller is likely a better quality product than the ones where a plastic impeller is used.
kherr
Premium Member
join:2000-09-04
Collinsville, IL

kherr to Bamafan2277

Premium Member

to Bamafan2277
said by Bamafan2277:

Zoeller's are still made in Louisville KY. They have bought out other brands that were made over seas though. The actuall Zoeller brand is still made in the states.

I've got a 12~15 year old Zoeller pumping it's heart out right now. It's been going for almost three weeks with about 1 minute cycles, and I'm figuring at least 3 gallons per (I think i's more like 4 myself). That's over 4k gallons a day. My backyard is like a swamp ..... I don't worry a bit about the pump failing. It's doing what it was made to do. I can't say enough good about the brand.

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
join:2007-11-26
North, VA

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

said by kherr:

I don't worry a bit about the pump failing. It's doing what it was made to do.

You should. It's 12~15 years old and all equipment can and will fail at some point. You are probably getting close to the end of life on that pump.
kherr
Premium Member
join:2000-09-04
Collinsville, IL

kherr

Premium Member

I know, it's been one of those things as you can't swap it out while it's running and you don't think about it when it's dry. I also need to rig up an alarm too. One good thing getting the alarm just at the right height is that if you get it right it will trip before the water rises to the point that it starts to fill in the area between the drainage pipes and the bottom of the slab. My drainage pipes are at least 6" below the bottom of the slab at the high side and about 8~9 " at the low side. I had to get an extra deep pit so the pump was below the pipes entering the pit. A worse case thing is the basement flooding 2', at that point the water table is as high as it gets. I found that out when I was digging out the basement and didn't have the pump setup yet.

The water table seems to go in cycles. There was a 3~5 year period when no matter how much it rained, the pump would barely go on. And then in the wet cycle it'll pump for 10~15 days after a rain.

Jon5
Premium Member
Lisle, IL

1 recommendation

Jon5 to Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

to Jack_in_VA
said by Jack_in_VA:

said by kherr:

I don't worry a bit about the pump failing. It's doing what it was made to do.

You should. It's 12~15 years old and all equipment can and will fail at some point. You are probably getting close to the end of life on that pump.

Agreed. When your pump fails here's what you end up with.
»Re: Whiskey Tango Foxtrot 2013

BTW: It was working when I went to bed. That's what I woke up too Thursday morning.

Don't be cheap. They're not that expensive, just replace the damn things.

Warzau
Premium Member
join:2000-10-26
Naperville, IL

Warzau

Premium Member

Really it's most at what 50-90 dollars. Cheap insurance for something that can prevent thousands of dollars in damage, also get a back up sump pump.
67845017 (banned)
Naperville, IL

67845017 (banned)

Ours was $240. I'd be a little worried about the $50-$90 dollar ones, although I'm sure they would be fine. That being said, I'd rather have a $50-$90 new one than an old one that's possibly failing.

Warzau
Premium Member
join:2000-10-26
Naperville, IL

1 recommendation

Warzau

Premium Member

Well I think at this point, that's prob all that's left from after the all the storms. Yes any new pump is prob better than a old one.
67845017 (banned)
Naperville, IL

67845017 (banned)

said by Warzau:

Well I think at this point, that's prob all that's left from after the all the storms.

Yeah, no doubt!

Jon5
Premium Member
Lisle, IL

Jon5

Premium Member

said by 67845017:

said by Warzau:

Well I think at this point, that's prob all that's left from after the all the storms.

Yeah, no doubt!

I was at HD the other day and they were completely restocked. That's just the one by me though. Others could still be sold out.