share rss forum feed

shinjuru
Premium,Mod
join:2000-10-29
West Coast
Reviews:
·SureWest Internet

Homeworld: Gearbox Software

Looking forward to some new Homeworld releases!

said by Gearbox :

Homeworld Acquisition and Plans
04.22.13 - Chris Faylor

Gearbox Software has prevailed as the highest bidder in the acquisition of the Homeworld franchise from THQ. Brian Martel, Gearbox Software's Chief Creative Officer, has great love and respect for Relic's brilliant, fun and innovative game and personally spearheaded the acquisition.

Brian intends as first priority to direct Gearbox's interest to preserve and assemble the purest form of the original acclaimed and beloved games, Homeworld and Homeworld 2, with the intent of making them accessible on today's leading digital platforms.

Please visit the Gearbox Software Forums to share with us and Brian what you think should be done with Homeworld moving forward. And, please try to get our attention if you have capability and interest to join the effort in developing or enabling Homeworld's future.

--
Games - GameTech - S.F.Bay -

Babbat
Blissfully Ignorant
Premium
join:2001-06-24
Long Island
I hope they update it without changing the bones of the game. I loved the Homeworld games.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12
reply to shinjuru
So will Homeworld 3 be done in borderlands style? God I hope not.

»Re: Gearbox Software Buys Homeworld IP

El Quintron
I dunno, lemme check my trollodex
Premium
join:2008-04-28
Etobicoke, ON
kudos:4
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
said by Krisnatharok:

So will Homeworld 3 be done in borderlands style? God I hope not.

»Re: Gearbox Software Buys Homeworld IP

If I were to take an educated guess, I'd say you should't expect "Borderworld 3" Borderlands' colour scheme comes from a last minute change in direction, due to the fact that the original Borderlands was going to be an Alien Survival Horror job that fell flat.

The project got resurrected as a spaghetti-western looter, and became what it is today.

»www.gamespot.com/news/behind-bor ··· -6253257

quote:
However, by October 2008, Gearbox knew it had a problem. Internal reviews by the "Gearbox Truth Team"--a group of testers with psychology backgrounds--concluded that people found that the game's art style was too similar to that of the then freshly minted hit Fallout 3. The game was also drawing comparisons to another postapocalyptic game from id Software. "We didn't want to be considered a poor man's Rage," said Martel.

I can post the rest of it, if you're websensed, but gist of it is that the cell shaded look that's now associated with the game, was actually a 90 degree turn in the middle of production.
--
Support Bacteria -- It's the Only Culture Some People Have

TigerLord
For Value Received
Premium,Mod
join:2002-06-09
Canada
kudos:8
reply to shinjuru
They can start by putting HW1+Cataclysm and HW2 on GOG. This should generate some revenue.

The Homeworld games were a decade in advance in term of gameplay and graphics when they came out. Pure genius.

Nowadays, it wouldn't be so fantastic. Homeworld 3 would have to be innovative again to make it worthy. I do not believe this resides within Gearbox Software's abilities. Duke Nukem was a steaming pile of manure. Borderland has its own style and charm, but the complexity of building a great space-opera narrative with RTS gameplay is immense compared to building a FPS world with tons of loot in it.

I'd be happy to replay the three Homeworld games, after that, I consider Homeworld dead in the water.

Star Citizen will hopefully become my new space obsession.