spc
Search similar:

uniqs
destrukt
join:2007-11-22

destrukt to Webslinger

to Webslinger

Re: [Cable]Congestion on ATIPA from 9:30p.m.-11p.m

Are you in a position where you can start testing at or about 16:00 today? I won't be able to test until after 18:00 today (and I'm on a lower tier anyway)
Webslinger
Premium Member
join:2004-05-01

1 edit

Webslinger to captainpc

Premium Member

to captainpc
said by captainpc:

»speedof.me

This one does seem more reflective of what a real browsing and download experience should produce. Thank you. I've never seen this site before.

But I note there are no Canadian servers. The part I bolded below I especially agree with.

»speedof.me/howitworks.html
North America:
Atlanta, Chicago(2), Dallas(2), Los Angeles(3), Miami, New York(2), San Jose, Seattle, and Washington DC
Europe:
Amsterdam, Frankfurt(2), London, Madrid, Paris, Vienna and Stockholm
Asia:
Hong Kong(2), Osaka, Singapore, and Tokyo
Australia:
Sydney
South America:
Sao Paulo

Accuracy

Unlike other speed tests that require third party applications (plugins), SpeedOf.Me tests your Internet speed directly from your web browser not through flash or java plugins with lots of overhead.

SpeedOf.Me also downloads large contiguous sample files. This is what you always do when downloading a webpage or media. This is while other speed test services download small chunks in parallel and do heavy adjustments to calculate your approximate speed.

SpeedOf.Me utilizes several test servers (PoPs) in various locations which makes the test result more realistic. Other speed test services have a different approach about test server location. Some choose the nearest physical test server, probably inside your ISP. It seems illogical because the speed between you and the selected server is always higher than your real speed [for connecting] to the rest of the Internet.
On the other hand, some speed test services use a single test server to test users' connection speed in all geographical locations. For example, imagine a user is in Asia or Australia while the test server is in the US. The result would be inaccurate again because the end user is very far away from the testing server.
All of these make SpeedOf.Me the most accurate and realistic speed test among others.
Webslinger

Webslinger to destrukt

Premium Member

to destrukt
said by destrukt:

Are you in a position where you can start testing at or about 16:00 today? I won't be able to test until after 18:00 today (and I'm on a lower tier anyway)

Yeah, I've been recovering from some medical issues, so I'm home this week.
The Mongoose
join:2010-01-05
Toronto, ON

The Mongoose

said by Webslinger:

said by destrukt:

Yeah, I've been recovering from some medical issues, so I'm home this week.

Get better soon. Some things are more important than internet speeds (though not many )
destrukt

destrukt to Webslinger

to Webslinger
Hope you're feeling better soon.. I feel for you - stuck at home with pear-shaped internet :P
Webslinger
Premium Member

Webslinger

Premium Member

said by destrukt:

Hope you're feeling better soon

Thank you

Still looks good here at 4:23 p.m. EST

Teksavvy

Telus at 4:26 p.m.
destrukt

destrukt

Encouraging! I'll post later on when I can test.
captainpc
join:2013-02-25

1 edit

captainpc

Click for full size
4:48pm Vic Park/401 area
Click for full size
4:50pm Vic Park/401 area
Looks promising... I will test again later on tonight.

I got similar results before, problem usually is after 6:00pm... let's hope for the best!

FTTHTechie
@axxent.ca

FTTHTechie to Webslinger

Anon

to Webslinger
We need more people posting their results when the hours of Congestion are at their peak. This would then indicate whether the issue is prolonged or temporary.
Webslinger
Premium Member

Webslinger

Premium Member

said by FTTHTechie :

We need more people posting their results when the hours of Congestion are at their peak. This would then indicate whether the issue is prolonged or temporary.

I'll be checking again between 9:30 p.m. and 11 p.m.
vcc_tek
join:2012-06-21
Scarborough, ON

vcc_tek to Webslinger

to Webslinger
Speed is better but barely meets the 35/3 since this is speed boosted.

Jayar
join:2005-01-16

Jayar to Webslinger

to Webslinger
It hasn't been fixed.

Beanfield

Teksavvy

Telus

On 45/4
Jayar

Jayar to Webslinger

to Webslinger
Or it has been fixed, but the 10-gig link is already at capacity. Either way, this sucks.

TSI Marc
Premium Member
join:2006-06-23
Chatham, ON

TSI Marc to Jayar

Premium Member

to Jayar
Only 7 gig right now.. Shouldn't be any problems.
Webslinger
Premium Member

Webslinger

Premium Member

On 45/4
Using DCM476 (8 channel bonding)

Nexicom at 6:33 p.m. EST

Beanfield at 6:35 p.m. EST

Telus at 6:36 p.m. EST

Teksavvy at 6:38 p.m. EST

Speedof.me at 6:41 p.m. EST (I like this test the best; it's more realistic, and it's not using Canadian servers afaik)

TSI Marc
Premium Member
Chatham, ON

TSI Marc

Premium Member

There we go. That's what I like to see.
Webslinger
Premium Member

Webslinger to Jayar

Premium Member

to Jayar
said by Jayar:

It hasn't been fixed.

Are you connecting directly to your modem? And what modem are you using?
Webslinger

Webslinger to TSI Marc

Premium Member

to TSI Marc
said by TSI Marc:

There we go. That's what I like to see.

Well, let's wait between 9:30p.m. and 11 p.m. EST before we start celebrating, but so far, so good here on the former McNicoll POI area.

Jayar

Jayar to Webslinger

to Webslinger
Maybe it's my modem then. A restart has me back to full speed, but I'm still getting sync errors on startup. I guess a post in the Direct Forum is needed.

False alarm, people. Sorry!
resa1983
Premium Member
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON

resa1983 to Webslinger

Premium Member

to Webslinger
So has Rogers responded as to the cause of the problem?

Did they 'accidentally' rate limit that link to only 8gbps?

Jayar

Jayar to Webslinger

to Webslinger
said by Webslinger:

said by Jayar:

It hasn't been fixed.

Are you connecting directly to your modem? And what modem are you using?

No, but a direct connection to the router - No wi-fi. My modem is the same as yours, a DCM 476.
Webslinger
Premium Member

Webslinger

Premium Member

said by Jayar:

No, but a direct connection to the router - No wi-fi. My modem is the same as yours, a DCM 476.

Mmm. If you had to reset your modem, and if you're getting sync errors, then maybe there's a problem with your line. Yeah, post in the Direct forum.

But it's not between 9:30p.m.-11 p.m. yet.
Adam220
join:2013-04-17
Stouffville

Adam220 to Webslinger

to Webslinger
Downloaded 6.5GB via Newsleecher @ 5.34 - 5.37 Megabytes/Sec on the 45/4 plan. Looking good so far as I wouldn't have gotten that at this time yesterday.

TSI Marc
Premium Member
Chatham, ON

TSI Marc to resa1983

Premium Member

to resa1983
said by resa1983:

So has Rogers responded as to the cause of the problem?

Did they 'accidentally' rate limit that link to only 8gbps?

I'll wait to hear back before I dive into that. We've had good cooperation from them so far. Looks like its fixed though, there's roughly 8gig passing through now and you guys aren't seeing any problems...
koreyb
Open the Canadian Market NOW
join:2005-01-08
Etobicoke, ON

koreyb to Webslinger

to Webslinger
Marc,

I think this isn't said enough... Thanks for fighting this for your customers.. It is appreciated..

TSI Marc
Premium Member
Chatham, ON

TSI Marc

Premium Member

no problem. you're welcome.

just doing our part. it's all about increasing the posts per second peak time rate for HiVolt and Subaru. this should help hit the 100k mark a couple months earlier
Amou
join:2011-01-29
Guelph, ON

Amou

LOL! Most likely, but good in Guelph as well. Usually hit really low at this time but will keep updating every few hours.

vcc_tek
join:2012-06-21
Scarborough, ON

vcc_tek to Webslinger

to Webslinger
Not so good

»speedof.me/result/130425 ··· 7883.png

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to TSI Marc

Premium Member

to TSI Marc
said by TSI Marc:

I'll wait to hear back before I dive into that. We've had good cooperation from them so far. Looks like its fixed though, there's roughly 8gig passing through now and you guys aren't seeing any problems...

Yeah, but man, the amount of "whoopsies" on their part in the time TSI Cable has been around is a bit too many...

Who knows what they really do, since nobody has any insight into their network... I'd almost be willing to bet my left nut that they prioritize their own customers over TPIA/ATPIA on a given POI/Node.
eeyore_cm
join:2013-03-20

eeyore_cm to Amou

to Amou
said by Amou:

LOL! Most likely, but good in Guelph as well. Usually hit really low at this time but will keep updating every few hours.

[att=1]

Not quite as good as yours but still much improved for the time of day compared to the last couple of days in the south end of Guelph.