spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

mloebl

join:2003-01-03
Tyngsboro, MA

[Northeast] Verizon fix something in MA?

I'm in MA, and since Hurricane Sandy, all the MA tests on speedtest.net maxed at 20-30/35 or so (well slower when NYC was flooded after the storm, but you get the point.) Only the Verizon speed test would ever show me 83/35 on tests unless things were congested and I'd max around 20/35 there as well. (I know this isn't a perfect test of things...) Also I'd be hitting a bunch of random slow downs lately as well.

I noticed some odds and ends I download were going much faster than normal this evening. So did some speeds tests, and starting today, all my speedtests show full speed regardless of Boston or NYC or NJ (even during prime time hours.)

I haven't seen stuff like that in months (even in doing tests pretty early in the AM). I also noticed that Ubuntu's updater was *screaming* on updates, and Steam was pulling down 5MB/s for a change versus 500kb/s.

I did change out my NIC this weekend in my firewall, however speedtests right after the swap hadn't changed so I don't think this is related. (I also still have the same IP)

Anyone else? *REALLY* hoping this isn't a fluke.

-Mike

serge87

join:2009-11-29

I would monitor it for a week, it could be a fluke.

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
kudos:24
reply to mloebl

Things are feeling snappy for me tonight here in New York on DSL. Definitely a change for how it's been since Sandy.

mloebl

Tyngsboro, MA

As of last night things were still screaming along on speed tests and downloads even during peak hours. *hoping it lasts*

-Mike

codydog

join:2001-11-29
Newport, RI
reply to mloebl

In RI, the pings have doubled, and speeds are very inconsistent.

mloebl

Tyngsboro, MA

It's possible either a PON issue at my location or the local CO was saturated? So far so good here, though took 8mos to get back to normal again.

mloebl

Tyngsboro, MA
reply to mloebl

So just a follow-up in case anyone else sees something weird like this... My Internet has been screaming for the last couple months since this post (other than the occasional Youtube issues in the other thread.) However unless a database screw up, noticed today I can now order 150 and 300, so looks like maybe they upgraded us to GPON. Maybe it was legit saturation the last few months.

-Mike

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:29

said by mloebl:

noticed today I can now order 150 and 300, so looks like maybe they upgraded us to GPON.

You weren't upgraded to GPON unless your ONT was swapped out and that wouldn't happen unless you order a tier that requires it. That's not to say that your CO wasn't upgraded.
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

mloebl

Tyngsboro, MA

Correction... you are right. I should say looks like CO was upgraded as I have the ability to order them now.

houkouonchi

join:2002-07-22
Ontario, CA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by mloebl:

Correction... you are right. I should say looks like CO was upgraded as I have the ability to order them now.

Still could have been legitimate saturation although not very likely unless a really dense are of colllege students or something. If it was saturation maybe the people using up the bandwidth upgraded to higher speed packages and got put on GPON so it eased up the capacity issue on your BPONs splitter? Probably not likely but possible.
--
300/150 mbit Bonded Verizon FiOS connection FTW!