spc
Search similar:

uniqs

aurgathor
join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA

aurgathor

easiest and simplest way to measure AC ON time

I kinda get pissed off because of crappy light bulbs ( »[rant] GE crystal clear halogen is pure crap ) and I'm now thinking that I should just measure the time they're on. What would be the easiest and simplest way to do that?

Once I had a clock that was running on 120V AC -- it had a small electric motor that was driving the hands through some plastic gears, but I think I tossed it years ago.
TheMG
Premium Member
join:2007-09-04
Canada
MikroTik RB450G
Cisco DPC3008
Cisco SPA112

1 recommendation

TheMG

Premium Member

You could simply buy an hour meter, they are available in both resettable and non-resettable flavors as well as electronic or mechanical and are quite small. Easy to hook up, simply apply power and it starts counting, and maintains its memory when powered down. Best of all, you can get them quite cheap.

Most don't run on 120VAC, but that's nothing that a simple DC wall-wart couldn't handle.

tschmidt
MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
·Consolidated Com..
·Republic Wireless
·Hollis Hosting

tschmidt to aurgathor

MVM

to aurgathor
Agree with TheMG See Profile connect a running time meter.

Found cheap one on eBay
»www.ebay.com/itm/5in1-AC ··· 807ee671

/tom

SparkChaser
Premium Member
join:2000-06-06
Downingtown, PA

1 recommendation

SparkChaser to aurgathor

Premium Member

to aurgathor
It's terrible getting old. The first thing I thought of was this.

It's about 6 times more than what Tom found on ebay
--
--

tschmidt
MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
·Consolidated Com..
·Republic Wireless
·Hollis Hosting

tschmidt

MVM

said by SparkChaser:

It's terrible getting old. The first thing I thought of was this.

Actually that is what I was looking for on eBay when I stumbled on the link I posted

As an aside, it never ceases to amaze me how much cheaper complex electronic gear is compared to even a simple mechanical device.

/Tom
TheMG
Premium Member
join:2007-09-04
Canada
MikroTik RB450G
Cisco DPC3008
Cisco SPA112

1 recommendation

TheMG

Premium Member

said by tschmidt:

As an aside, it never ceases to amaze me how much cheaper complex electronic gear is compared to even a simple mechanical device.

Less individual parts to fabricate and assemble. Circuitry is often a single-chip solution or very close to. Plus these things are probably mass produced by the millions in a handful of Chinese factories.