how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

soportec
Premium
join:2006-01-06

mikrotik for 5000 users?

Hello I have a bid I am placing for a situation where I need to scan a document with a cordless mobile wifi scanner and have it promply uploaded to a server over a secure conection. I have thought about using my existing wisp infrastructure along with many fellow wisp in the area, but because of cost I thing that 3G would work fine. I was wondering if anybody had tried anything like this before.

1. Needs to scan a document 3 times to make sure it gets it correct.
2. Needs to upload the document over wifi to a Mikrotik via ftp and the mikrotik can send it on to server with ftp or email.
3. needs to be able to work over battery backup only (6 hours max)
4. One scanner and one solution Box that connects to 3G and has WIFI.
5. Needs to upload the document scanned whenever it has connection to the 3G network if there is no network when document is scanned.

This will be 5000-10000 places over a large area that will need to send the document. Some places dont have lights or cell signal.

After scanning the Solution Box will be transported to a central location where somewhere during the trip it should pick up celular network (could send as soon as it gets signal if the document is in the Mikrotik)

I have thought about a wifi document scanner that runs on batteries and A rb751 with USB for 3G dongle, in a plastic box with a battery and a off on switch.

All the units could connect over VPN with pptp to a central Mk that would be connected to a server. Will a cloud core handle 5000 pptp at one time all connection during a one to two hour time span?

This is for a one time massive use with several months of preparation, no room for error.

So has anyone ever tried anything similar?
--
HONDURAS WISP Ubiquiti Sectors With 5ghz -Ubnt Backhauls , MTCRE,MTCUME,MTCTCE,MTCWE- Central American Ubiquiti Distro

lutful
... of ideas
Premium
join:2005-06-16
Ottawa, ON
kudos:1

1 edit
Such applications have been developed in many countries to digitize paper documents for land/business/census etc that are stored by local govt. But they are usually custom projects with large IT contractors from India.

a) The battery operated document scanner should be generic so you can use external 3G or WiFi or even satellite as appropriate.

b) You need to limit simultaneous uploads by distributing a fixed number of scanning terminals. That lowers the bandwidth specs for the wireless backbone to the document server.

c) The scanned documents (usually high quality pdf) should be stored locally in encrypted SSD drive or SDXC card. Often that is a requirement of the project for privacy and permanent backup.

d) I recall hearing that backup SD cards sometimes arrived by mail before same data was successfully uploaded to server via GPRS modems in one project. Something to keep in mind.

soportec
Premium
join:2006-01-06
reply to soportec
Hello,

I am having a hard time finding a hand held wifi scanner that will do ftp. Any help appreciated.

mike

lutful
... of ideas
Premium
join:2005-06-16
Ottawa, ON
kudos:1
Just a suggestion ... use the Android platform to build a custom scanner that can support 3G and WiFi. You can still use Mikrotik-based dual radio. One side will be long range CPE, the other side a short range AP for the Android based document scanners.

Android FTP:
»play.google.com/store/apps/detai···tp&hl=en

Android USB scanner driver:
»play.google.com/store/apps/detai···er&hl=en