uniqs
share rss forum feed

vanDSLuser
from Vancouver 2010
Premium
join:2004-07-28
White Rock, BC

[Mobility] [Mobility] large event, COWS/temporary capacity boost

We've got the Canadian Scout Jamboree coming up this July in Sylvan Lake Alberta, with about 4,000 phones, many of them data hungry smartphones within a 5km^2 area or so. Needless to say, given the normal usage in the region, this is putting a massive strain on it and there's a pretty good possibility it's going to kill the network.

Does anyone have a contact for Telus' wireless NOC/planning team so they can get a COW on site and boost capacity to ensure the network doesn't die with the higher than normal load?

LazMan
Premium
join:2003-03-26
canada

1 recommendation

Re: [Mobility] [Mobility] large event, COWS/temporary capacity b

Shawn Hall
2nd floor, 768 Seymour St.
Vancouver, BC V6J 1K8
Tel: (604) 695-6500
shawn.hall@telus.com

Shawn's actually in Media Relations, but can pass it along to technical and planning teams, as well.

There's a chance for a decent little media blurb, and some decent press; so I can't see any objections...

If you don't get anywhere with him, PM me, and I'll see what else I can come up with...

pfak
Premium
join:2002-12-29
Vancouver, BC
reply to vanDSLuser
Heh. Not going to happen ..

Backhaul, backhaul, backhaul.

For a place where there's tons of fibre deployed and not line of sight microwave backhaul, sure it's possible. But for a situation like this? Surely not.
--
The more I C, the less I see.

yyzlhr

join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON
kudos:4
reply to vanDSLuser
Unless all 4000 of those phones are on Telus/Koodo, which would be unlikely, I hardly think what you're proposing is necessary.

RWiebe

join:2002-11-27
T8W 5K5
In Alberta they likely will be....

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON
kudos:2
said by RWiebe:

In Alberta they likely will be....

The Jamboree is Canada wide. Scouts from all across Canada will be attending. They bring phones from all providers. I am surprised that no one in Scouts Canada has approached a major mobility provider about this. It's not a huge deal. The Loxcel maps show towers from Rogers and Telus in Sylvan lake.
--
Need-based health care not greed-based health care.

pb2k

join:2005-05-30
Calgary, AB
kudos:1
Reviews:
·TELUS
reply to yyzlhr
said by yyzlhr:

Unless all 4000 of those phones are on Telus/Koodo, which would be unlikely, I hardly think what you're proposing is necessary.

Telus and Rogers are the only providers with towers outside city limits, everyone else is roaming.

Sylvan Lake is a resort town; presumably the local network is built to handle infrequent large peak loads, or they do bring in COWs during the summer.

yyzlhr

Scarborough, ON
said by pb2k:

said by yyzlhr:

Telus and Rogers are the only providers with towers outside city limits, everyone else is roaming.

Sylvan Lake is a resort town; presumably the local network is built to handle infrequent large peak loads, or they do bring in COWs during the summer.

If Telus has HSPA coverage there, Bell would have coverage there too, and they utilize their own backhaul as well.

vanDSLuser
from Vancouver 2010
Premium
join:2004-07-28
White Rock, BC
reply to vanDSLuser
It's partially capacity (we're encouraging people to tweet/upload video) and also signal propagation, line of sight to the camp from towers isn't exactly ideal.

It's also Alberta, Bell/Telus are the only ones with LTE and extensive coverage in the area, so most of the locals are on Telus devices.

pb2k

Calgary, AB
Reviews:
·TELUS
reply to yyzlhr
said by yyzlhr:

If Telus has HSPA coverage there, Bell would have coverage there too, and they utilize their own backhaul as well.

Nope, it's all Telus in Alberta, sans some legacy stuff in the major centers.

TheMG
Premium
join:2007-09-04
Canada
kudos:3
reply to vanDSLuser
Can't people just leave their ******* phones for a bit? Seriously! Remember when most people used to live WITHOUT cell phones? A few days with flaky cell service isn't going to kill anyone.

yyzlhr

Scarborough, ON
reply to pb2k
said by pb2k:

said by yyzlhr:

Nope, it's all Telus in Alberta, sans some legacy stuff in the major centers.

I don't know where you got the idea that Telus is the only game in town in Alberta. The Big 3 carriers have native coverage throughout the province and in the area referenced by the OP.

pb2k

Calgary, AB
Reviews:
·TELUS
said by yyzlhr:

I don't know where you got the idea that Telus is the only game in town in Alberta.

1: I was referring specifically to the Bell/Telus tower sharing agreement and even mentioned rogers having towers, in the post you originally quoted.

2: I was working for telus when the HSPA+ network was being deployed, in the same department as the network implementation team. Suffice to say, I picked up more than a few tidbits.

3: The bell/Telus tower sharing agreement is common knowledge, and is referenced quite often, even on these forums. Do the research instead of spouting ignorance.

zod5000

join:2003-10-21
Victoria, BC
Reviews:
·Shaw
reply to vanDSLuser
I can't see telus doing this? Why would they spend the extra cash? Other than putting in extra coverage in sports venues (like arenas/stadiums) I haven't heard them doing much of what your asking?

If there's 4000 kids. Only a percentage will be on Telus/Bell/Virgin, and then a different percentage on the Rogers Network. Even if it's 60 percent on the Telus/Bell network, that brings it down to 2400. Will everyone being uploading simultaneously?

It seems odd to me. Maybe it was a feature I wasn't aware of, but I didn't know telus offered service like this for medium sized public gatherings?

yyzlhr

Scarborough, ON
reply to pb2k
said by pb2k:

said by yyzlhr:

I don't know where you got the idea that Telus is the only game in town in Alberta.

3: The bell/Telus tower sharing agreement is common knowledge, and is referenced quite often, even on these forums. Do the research instead of spouting ignorance.

They share the towers, but have completely separate backhauls at each tower.

LazMan
Premium
canada
said by yyzlhr:

said by pb2k:

said by yyzlhr:

Not really - depends on the site and network.

For older CDMA sites, the physical tower was common, but separate radios, backhaul, etc.

For HSPA and some LTE, Air interface is common, Traffic is common until it reaches a regional PoI, then is separated, and routed to the appropriate carrier. Other LTE sites are more like the CDMA, with separate "stuff" on a common physical support structure.

mrbillwood

join:2013-04-24
reply to vanDSLuser
This event has been confirmed as on the TELUS known events list.

pb2k

Calgary, AB
Reviews:
·TELUS
reply to yyzlhr
said by yyzlhr:

said by pb2k:

said by yyzlhr:

Carry on in your fantasy world; good day sir.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
Owen Sound, ON
said by pb2k:

Given that the OP you responded to actually works in the field and does the hands-on infrastructure work, it's a great fantasy he has...
--

pfak
Premium
join:2002-12-29
Vancouver, BC
said by DKS:

said by pb2k:

Given that the OP you responded to actually works in the field and does the hands-on infrastructure work, it's a great fantasy he has...

Given that the person you responded to works for TELUS ..
--
The more I C, the less I see.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
Owen Sound, ON
said by pfak:

said by DKS:

said by pb2k:

Given that the person you responded to works for TELUS ..

And in what department? Telus is a very big company The OP is in hands on network.
--

LazMan
Premium
canada

1 recommendation

YYZlhr isn't exactly correct; the backhaul is common at many sites.

I say this from first hand knowledge - I built several of the HSPA sites.

Edit - he's not exactly wrong, either - CDMA and some LTE sites do run separate backhaul... Depends on traffic, location, contractual arrangements, etc...