Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Lizz
Premium
join:2002-10-22
Fullerton, CA

Really crazy email problem

I received an email with a txt attachment via my AT&T U-verse email (aka Yahoo). Downloaded and saved file, opened it in correct application, was empty, closed it, and it disappeared completely from my PC. I've done this many times, saving it to different locations on my PC with the exact same results.

Forwarded the message with attachment to my gmail account, performed the same steps as above, and everything worked just as it should (and it's NOT an empty file).

I've had the AT&T email forever (my email address is actually pacbell.net), and I'm sure I've received txt files in the past without any problems, but it's probably been a real long time since I did.

Anyone have any ideas what's going on?

Thanks,
Liz

ETA: My browser is Firefox.

Arthur888

@sbcglobal.net
I had the same problem today. Something is wrong with AT&T

StillLearn
Premium
join:2002-03-21
Streamwood, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T Midwest
reply to Lizz
You might consider a "POP3" email client instead of using web mail. This would be appropriated on your own computer in your house. It is less appropriate for computers that you can't limit access to.

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Email_client

Lizz
Premium
Fullerton, CA
reply to Arthur888
Thanks, Arthur. This is definitely a case of "misery loves company!!!"

Lizz
Premium
Fullerton, CA
reply to StillLearn
Thanks for the advice. I actually have and use both.

StillLearn
Premium
Streamwood, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T Midwest
said by Lizz:

Thanks for the advice. I actually have and use both.

Did the problem also exist when you read the email with your email program? That would pretty much imply that some virus checking program detected the contents of the txt file as a bad content.

You might experiment by making a test file as described in »www.eicar.org/86-0-Intended-use.html.

Lizz
Premium
Fullerton, CA
Didn't check it with anything but gmail which basically told me the problem was most likely with ATT and/or Yahoo. Didn't try it in "regular" Yahoo either. Working on a rush job. Not much time to "fiddle."

StillLearn
Premium
Streamwood, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T Midwest
Whenever you suspect that a file is being falsely being detected as malware, you might try putting that file into a zip file with a password. The password could be very simple, and you could put the password into the email.

Windows used to be able to do that as a built-in thing, but newer versions will not make passworded zip files. Go figure.

»www.7-zip.org/ 7-zip is popular. But then you already have your workaround for this episode.

Lizz
Premium
Fullerton, CA
Nothing about what was going on led me for one minute to think it was malware. I was worried my drive was going bad. Watching a file disappear right before your eyes is pretty scary!

StillLearn
Premium
Streamwood, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T Midwest
said by Lizz:

Nothing about what was going on led me for one minute to think it was malware. I was worried my drive was going bad. Watching a file disappear right before your eyes is pretty scary!

I was thinking that maybe the virus checker on Yahoo mistakenly thought it was malware.

Lizz
Premium
Fullerton, CA
Yes, I know that's what you were thinking. But it came in as an "inline attachment," with the whole thing displayed at the bottom of the actual email message as well as showing as a "normal" file attachment. When I downloaded the latter version, there was no virus message from the Yahoo virus scan. The same file in a zipped version gave me no problem whatsoever.

Apparently, Yahoo just doesn't like txt files

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
said by Lizz:

Yes, I know that's what you were thinking. But it came in as an "inline attachment," with the whole thing displayed at the bottom of the actual email message as well as showing as a "normal" file attachment. When I downloaded the latter version, there was no virus message from the Yahoo virus scan. The same file in a zipped version gave me no problem whatsoever.

Apparently, Yahoo just doesn't like txt files

Or Firefox. I just sent a .txt file from a Hotmail (yeah, I know; it's "outlook.com" now!) account to a 'pacbell.net' account. I went to 'mail.yahoo.com' and signed in. Opened the email with the Opera browser. Downloaded the attachment. Norton (must be Yahoo! because I don't use Norton) reported no viruses, and I proceeded to select where to save it. File opened in Notepad, and displayed content. Signed out of Yahoo!, closed the tab; and the file is still present.

Sending mail agent is Windows Live Mail.

I'd almost guess a temp folder issue, but your problem statement seems to preclude that.

I recall some flakiness when the sender uses MS Outlook (the Office PIM component on the desktop) with RTF selected; but I think that only manifested for recipients using MS Outlook Express.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

Lizz
Premium
Fullerton, CA
Norman,

I think the file was sent to me by a Thunderbird user, FWIW.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
So far, all we have in common is a 'pacbell.net' account on the receiving end, and web access. Different mail agents sending, different web agents reading. And I can't replicate your experience. Could be a combination of Yahoo! and the different sending/receiving agents.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

Lizz
Premium
Fullerton, CA
Thanks for trying! At least Arthur888 says he had the same problem. Makes me feel better