uniqs
share rss forum feed

kcttocs
Yes...?
Premium
join:2002-03-07
Missouri

[iPhone] Letter to Apple

I am sorry Apple, but I am moving on You've been very good to me for years, I've owned every phone minus the 3gs, but you are just lacking customization and falling too far behind Android. I've been jail breaking since the Iphone 4 (gotta have BiteSMS) and well, it's just a pain because it has always made my phone unstable and crashes all too frequently depending on how much I text. I have pre-ordered the Samsung Galaxy S4. I just don't think you are innovating and giving the customers (me) what I want. And well your stock is suffering as well, so probably it is a lot of me's defecting. Rest assured, I've still got two Iphones on my account for my kiddo's and don't plan on switching them to Android because I've spent so much on angry birds and minecraft, asphalt, fruit ninja etc... I am glad I never spent any money on music/video, or you would have had me stuck in your eco system. I do look forward to seeing what your next product will be, but I do not think you will innovate or have anything nearly as customizable and stable as the new androids. Good luck! And my advise is to allow customization.

Scott, a former Iphone Junkie.

M A R S
Premium
join:2001-06-15
Long Island
kudos:1
This was me when the "iPhone 4S" came out.. It was time for me to move on. And i had them all up till then. For me it was what you said but also screen size, adding memory and other simple features.

obeythelaw
Premium
join:2003-04-16
Bayonne, NJ
reply to kcttocs
I can say that I too said the same but after using a Galaxy S3 for 6 months, I came back to my iPhone 4. I think I actually missed the ecosystem.

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to kcttocs
I myself have had a 3G/3GS/4, I skipped the 4S and only upgraded to 5 when the jailbreak came out. My iPhone 4 was just too slow...

I too am frustrated with the lack of customization, in fact thats why i jailbreak... LockInfo, SBSettings, Activator, are a few things that I have gotten used to over the years, that Apple just will not implement.

I understand if they don't want to open up the entire OS. At least take one step forward and allow devs to submit OS customizations and approve them, just like apps. That way there wont be any nefarious things going on.
--

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS
reply to kcttocs
I'm getting there too. Apple is stuck in neutral. I'll stick with OS X for now, but my Sprint iPhone 5 and iPad 4 are my last POS devices unless Apple seriously gets their S together. After a week with a Galaxy Note 10.1, I'm overlooking Android's MANY MANY flaws in favor of the hardware feature set.

As far as music, there is no DRM in iTunes music so you can move the music to Google's music manager very easily (it will import directly from iTunes, including playlists). The only thing I have that Google MM won't upload or automatically reencode is ALAC. But my Google Music Manager as all of my regular AAC files in the cloud.
--
Nocchi rules.

The Dv8or
Just call me Dong Suck Oh, M.D.
Premium
join:2001-08-09
Denver, CO
reply to HiVolt
said by HiVolt:

I understand if they don't want to open up the entire OS. At least take one step forward and allow devs to submit OS customizations and approve them, just like apps. That way there wont be any nefarious things going on.

Google does not support their own phones with call-in technicians and the like. Apple does. You start these customizations, and it's going to get quite difficult to do support properly.
--
You're so vain... I bet you think this post is about you.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170
Then direct the user to the dev. Microsoft doesn't provide support for windowblinds yet users seem to not leap from buildings.
--
Nocchi rules.

kitsune

join:2001-11-26
Sacramento, CA
reply to kcttocs
One of the biggest benefits of Apple is their technical support. You don't have to wonder who to call for assistance. With Android good luck getting assistance. Plus all those customizations you want makes it extremely difficult for technicians to be able to resolve any problems you may have as they can't be sure what all has been changed or possibly even what it is you are seeing on the screen if you have changed enough things.

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
All Apple has to do is have a big disclaimer that they do not support any 3rd party customizations, just like they dont offer support on apps.

They will have to give in at some point, because the iOS devices lack some serious bells & whistles with regard to funky features, and there is a new android phone every month that has some awesome feature that Apple either does not have, may not have until the next revision of the OS (once a year) or wont have at all.

This can sway fringe customers easily.
--

gjrhine

join:2001-12-12
Pawleys Island, SC
reply to kcttocs
Just spoke to Tim Cook and he said he'll get back to you on that.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170
Better answer than you are holding it wrong.
--
Nocchi rules.

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
I will definitely not be getting an iPhone 5S, but I hope Apple will do some kind of major refresh of iOS...

I suppose we'll get a sneak peek of what they will or will not do at WWDC in a couple months.

They need to freshen it up. It's so stale.
--

kcttocs
Yes...?
Premium
Missouri
reply to skeechan
said by skeechan:

As far as music, there is no DRM in iTunes music so you can move the music to Google's music manager very easily (it will import directly from iTunes, including playlists). The only thing I have that Google MM won't upload or automatically reencode is ALAC. But my Google Music Manager as all of my regular AAC files in the cloud.

That is good to know skeechan. I've only bought music from amazon and would import it over to Itunes, When did they start allowing that? I thought from day one, you were stuck in their ecosystem if you bought music.

But one of the main points I missed on my original post was the additional memory, that Mars pointed out. I mean come on, 200 extra bucks for the 64 gig Iphone? Today, you pretty much need at least 32 gig because of the higher megapixel cameras and video. It's going to be nice being able to shoot video on my new SG4 and not run out of memory right away, and be able to have my full audio library on my phone. Don't get me wrong, Apple is a very nice product, with nice support, and a local store in my area. But I have out grown them, and have never needed their support. I am really looking forward to seeing what the new Iphone 5S or 6 is going to have, but I've lost faith in their innovation, as has the stock market too apparently.

Tex
Premium
join:2012-10-20
reply to kcttocs
Maybe it's because I don't make it a priority to keep up with the newest developments when it comes to cell phones, but what is this "lacking customization" issue? Can you be more specific?

I have an iPhone 4S and it does everything I need in a cell phone. I receive/send calls, read/send emails, send/receive texts, take photos/video, play games, watch videos, listen to music/radio, surf the Internet, read books, navigation, Facebook, Twitter, etc. What am I missing? I only moved from T-Mobile (Android) over to AT&T (iOS) because of coverage issues I was having with T-Mobile, so I'm not what you would call an Apple fanatic.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS
reply to kcttocs
DRM free started with iTunes Plus (c.2007ish) and all music was DRM free as of mid 2009. For music purchased prior to iTunes Plus, you can upgrade those tracks from DRM "Fairplay" to DRM Free iTunes Plus for like $0.30 a track or something like that. But if you have been buying only over the last bunch of years, it will all be DRM free.
--
Nocchi rules.

kcttocs
Yes...?
Premium
Missouri

1 recommendation

reply to Tex
said by Tex:

I have an iPhone 4S and it does everything I need in a cell phone. I receive/send calls, read/send emails, send/receive texts, take photos/video, play games, watch videos, listen to music/radio, surf the Internet, read books, navigation, Facebook, Twitter, etc. What am I missing? I only moved from T-Mobile (Android) over to AT&T (iOS) because of coverage issues I was having with T-Mobile, so I'm not what you would call an Apple fanatic.

Nothing wrong with how you use your phone. And for many the Iphone works well for them. But for me, I am just tired of waiting around for something sweet from Apple when I can get it on android. My main reason I jail broke my phone at first was being able to change up the default sounds and get the notifications, quick settings to toggle wifi, and bluetooth etc... Apple finally came around some with ios5 i think it was. But still lacked sorely keeping a tight grip on customization, but I kinda got bored changing up my themes and what not. I discovered BiteSMS a few years back, and well, that is pretty much the only reason I jailbreak anymore, well that and sbsettings. It's nice being able to quickly reply to a message and not have to leave the app you are in. It's nice being able to schedule a text message to remind my GF something during the day at a certain time while I am sleeping ( I work nights). It's nice being able to scroll through my text messages and see the exact time a message was sent. It's nice being able to see a face next to the contact as you scroll though message. I could go on and on. Look at all the extra's you get with BiteSMS here.»bitesms.com/main/more_features
All this can be done in Android for free without having to root the phone. You have to jail break your iphone to do any of that stuff, which may not be important to some users, but to me it is. And every jailbreak I've done has caused my phone to have small issues where it will reboot it's self occasionally depending on how much texting I do. But it was worth it to me. But after researching and talking with friends that have the GS3, I am done with the iPhones.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170
For me...if I just needed "a phone" I could do that for a lot less than $400 subsidized plus a small fortune a month. If I merely wanted a phone I would stick with my aged iPhone 4 running on T-Mobile.
--
Nocchi rules.

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to kcttocs
You know, simple stuff like the ability to see when a photo was taken would be nice.

Really, my first camera phone with a 352x288 had this feature 10 years ago. 10 YEARS AGO!

I can show the photo on my HDTV thru the Apple TV. but I can't see the date when it was taken.

ROFL.
--

Mike
Premium,Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA
download Koredoko

Mike
Premium,Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA

1 recommendation

reply to kcttocs
Ever since Steve died and Apple is out of projects that he did, everything is in neutral and QA has gone to shit.

not quite right
I'm not cool enough to be a Mac person

join:2001-06-23
Puyallup, WA

2 recommendations

reply to kcttocs
Oh Boo-Hoo & your preconceived drama. If you're bored with iPhone I get it, have fun with what ever you get. There's no need to come to an Apple forum with your sad story of how Apple has some how let you down and iPhone is falling to the wayside.
--
Not many people know this, but I happen to be quite famous...

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170
Thing is more and more users, including me are feeling the say way. Apple is stuck in neutral.
--
Nocchi rules.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170
reply to Mike
QA went to shit long before Steve kacked. QA has been shit since 10.4.8+
--
Nocchi rules.

H_T_R_N
Premium
join:2011-12-06
Valencia, PA
Reviews:
·voip.ms
reply to kcttocs
said by kcttocs:

said by Tex:

Nothing wrong with how you use your phone. And for many the Iphone works well for them. But for me, I am just tired of waiting around for something sweet from Apple when I can get it on android. My main reason I jail broke my phone at first was being able to change up the default sounds and get the notifications, quick settings to toggle wifi, and bluetooth etc... Apple finally came around some with ios5 i think it was. But still lacked sorely keeping a tight grip on customization, but I kinda got bored changing up my themes and what not. I discovered BiteSMS a few years back, and well, that is pretty much the only reason I jailbreak anymore, well that and sbsettings. It's nice being able to quickly reply to a message and not have to leave the app you are in. It's nice being able to schedule a text message to remind my GF something during the day at a certain time while I am sleeping ( I work nights). It's nice being able to scroll through my text messages and see the exact time a message was sent. It's nice being able to see a face next to the contact as you scroll though message. I could go on and on. Look at all the extra's you get with BiteSMS here.»bitesms.com/main/more_features
All this can be done in Android for free without having to root the phone. You have to jail break your iphone to do any of that stuff, which may not be important to some users, but to me it is. And every jailbreak I've done has caused my phone to have small issues where it will reboot it's self occasionally depending on how much texting I do. But it was worth it to me. But after researching and talking with friends that have the GS3, I am done with the iPhones.

So with all the space you used to describe your issues, it comes down to one app? The grass is always greener. I for one hope they don't make a drastic change. I enjoy being able to pick up my device and know where everything is, and what I need to do to make it work. It it the drive to keep people like you happy that half baked projects get pushed out and quality suffers. I would rather wait until it is ready then to push something out............ Never mind.

kcttocs
Yes...?
Premium
Missouri

2 edits
said by H_T_R_N:

So with all the space you used to describe your issues, it comes down to one app? The grass is always greener. I for one hope they don't make a drastic change. I enjoy being able to pick up my device and know where everything is, and what I need to do to make it work. It it the drive to keep people like you happy that half baked projects get pushed out and quality suffers. I would rather wait until it is ready then to push something out............ Never mind.

I don't expect you to agree and I really don't care to convince your or anyone else, I am just stating my preferences and why I am switching. I've enjoyed my Iphones for years, and have been very loyal. Like I said, I still have two Iphones on my plan, and have a mac book air and love it, but I am tired of waiting for the improvements for the Iphone when I know they can do better. Remember when we couldn't even send a simple MMS? And even today Iphones will not convert a simple : ) to a smiley face , the emoji's are cool and all, but not every one has emoji enabled phones, I mean come on! I'll have my hands on my new GS4 tomorrow and I am excited. And another huge deciding factor is the fact that with the improved camera, I am running out of memory far too often. It will be nice having an extra 64Gig of expandable memory to send all my pics and videos to without having to immediately come home and dump them to the computer to make room for the next weekend of pics and videos.
edit: Gig, not Meg

djrobx
Premium
join:2000-05-31
Valencia, CA
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VOIPO
reply to Mike
said by Mike:

Ever since Steve died and Apple is out of projects that he did, everything is in neutral and QA has gone to shit.

No doubt. The worst I've ever seen from Apple is Wifi syncing. It's a complete disaster, especially under Windows. It crashes and/or soaks up one or more of your CPU cores when left enabled and opened for a long period of time.

There's hundreds of posts on Apple's forums about this over the last couple years. Updates keep coming out to iTunes but nothing fixes it. I've filed bugs with memory dumps and stack traces and all I get are "Apple devs can't reproduce it". If that's true your devs and /or test environments suck, because all I need to do is install iTunes on a freshly installed copy of Windows.

My iPhone 5 is getting stupid too. Siri keeps trying to chime in when I want to listen to a voicemail. WTF? Sometimes I unlock it and it "forgets" to brighten up the screen. I strongly suspect these issues are the result of hacky fixes to lock screen bugs.

I can deal with a "stale" UI. In fact, I prefer it - I loathe Microsoft's incessant attempts to change things just for the sake of change. But for fucks sake, it needs to work right.
--
AT&T U-Hearse - RIP Unlimited Internet 1995-2011
Rethink Billable.

not quite right
I'm not cool enough to be a Mac person

join:2001-06-23
Puyallup, WA
reply to kcttocs
How presumptuous of you to think that Apple or anyone for that matter cares if your getting a new phone.
--
Not many people know this, but I happen to be quite famous...

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170
They absolutely care why one of their customers chooses a competitor.
--
Nocchi rules.

H_T_R_N
Premium
join:2011-12-06
Valencia, PA
Reviews:
·voip.ms
reply to djrobx
said by djrobx:

said by Mike:

No doubt. The worst I've ever seen from Apple is Wifi syncing. It's a complete disaster, especially under Windows. It crashes and/or soaks up one or more of your CPU cores when left enabled and opened for a long period of time.

There's hundreds of posts on Apple's forums about this over the last couple years. Updates keep coming out to iTunes but nothing fixes it. I've filed bugs with memory dumps and stack traces and all I get are "Apple devs can't reproduce it". If that's true your devs and /or test environments suck, because all I need to do is install iTunes on a freshly installed copy of Windows.

I can deal with a "stale" UI. In fact, I prefer it - I loathe Microsoft's incessant attempts to change things just for the sake of change. But for fucks sake, it needs to work right.

See now I have dozens of clients with iPhones on various windows platforms and only one with an issue. She is in a domain environment with folder redirection and sync. I have zero issues with the others, infact a lot of them were converts from 'droids. So it might not be the device or iTunes that is causing your issues.

medbuyer

join:2003-11-20
kudos:4
reply to not quite right
said by not quite right:

Oh Boo-Hoo & your preconceived drama. If you're bored with iPhone I get it, have fun with what ever you get. There's no need to come to an Apple forum with your sad story of how Apple has some how let you down and iPhone is falling to the wayside.

apple fanboi? ehh?

the op is entitled to post whatever he feels about apple's products...if you don't like it, ignore it...

I myself have been using the iphone 4 since 3gs but i'm now seriously considering going android..I did have a tasted of the android system via an Asus Tablet, and boy, I was surprised what I was missing...