share rss forum feed

kcttocs
Yes...?
Premium
join:2002-03-07
Missouri

1 recommendation

[Apps] New Android User

I've finally decided to jump ship from Apple. Does anyone have any advise for a new Android user maybe a hidden gem of a website for newbies? What are some must have apps? Themes? Mods? I am not a big gamer, but use my phone a lot for productivity such as; texting, pictures and videos, setting reminders, timers, alarms, multiple calendars, multiple e-mail accounts, secure notes etc.. I am pretty sure I will root the phone fairly soon after I get it too. So any feedback is welcome.

Thanks
Scott

lordpuffer
RIP lil
Premium
join:2004-09-19
Rio Rancho, NM
kudos:2
Reviews:
·CableOne

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170
reply to kcttocs
Personally I have found rooting to be overrated.
--
Nocchi rules.

beck
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-29
On The Road
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Stablehost.com
reply to kcttocs
My favorite android forum is www.droidforums.net Has all flavors or users. Some good info there.

Check your google play store and amazon and fdroid for apps.

Rooting will make it so Titanium backup will work. Get the pro.

Otherwise, rooting doesn't get you much unless you are going to play with ROMs. You'll have fun if you get to that point.
--
Damn spy drones!
They are interfering
with my sun spots.

PeeWee
Premium
join:2001-10-21
Madera, CA
reply to kcttocs
said by kcttocs:

I've finally decided to jump ship from Apple. Does anyone have any advise for a new Android user maybe a hidden gem of a website for newbies? What are some must have apps? Themes? Mods? I am not a big gamer, but use my phone a lot for productivity such as; texting, pictures and videos, setting reminders, timers, alarms, multiple calendars, multiple e-mail accounts, secure notes etc.. I am pretty sure I will root the phone fairly soon after I get it too. So any feedback is welcome.

Thanks
Scott

What phone did you get?
--
Iphone. Helping computer illiteracy become popular since 2007

kcttocs
Yes...?
Premium
Missouri
said by PeeWee:

said by kcttocs:

What phone did you get?

I preordered the Samsung Galaxy 4. And just got my shipping confirmation. Should have it on the 25th. Can't wait to my new toy.

kcttocs
Yes...?
Premium
Missouri
reply to kcttocs
Oh, and thanks for the info guys!

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH
Actually, it's AndroidForums.com, not AndroidForums.net.

I have the same phone pre-ordered and scheduled to be delivered on Thursday. I can't wait.

Rooting, unless you really want to tweak, modify, and ROM your phone you really don't need root. This ain't the iPhone where you practically need to jailbreak it to do anything really neat with the phone.

As for doing things without root, there's still a ton of things you can do without root. Replacing your launcher (in Apple speak, that's akin to SpringBoard), replacing your browser, etc. I recommend Apex Launcher myself as a replacement launcher. As for a browser replacement, I recommend Dolphin Browser HD since there are a number of different extensions and plugins developed for it. I use LastPass for Dolphin Browser HD.

As for backing up apps and whatnot, you don't need root for that either. There's Carbon for that.
--
Tom
Boycott AT&T uVerse! | Tom's Android Blog

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS
said by trparky:

This ain't the iPhone where you practically need to jailbreak it to do anything really neat with the phone.

Fixed it for ya
--
Nocchi rules.

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
Cleveland, OH
said by skeechan:

said by trparky:

This ain't the iPhone where you practically need to jailbreak it to do anything really neat with the phone.

Fixed it for ya

LOL
--
Tom
Boycott AT&T uVerse! | Tom's Android Blog

beck
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-29
On The Road
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Stablehost.com
reply to trparky
said by trparky:

Actually, it's AndroidForums.com, not AndroidForums.net.

droidforums.net not androidforums.com is what I recommended. Androidforums.com is ok, just not my favorite.

mark5019
Premium
join:2002-03-30
Atlanta, GA
reply to kcttocs
im planing to upgrade on the 3rd to s4 from s2

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
Cleveland, OH
OK beck See Profile, I just thought that maybe you got the .com and the .net part of the URL mixed up.