spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

codydog

join:2001-11-29
Newport, RI

Norton now says Malwarebytes is in conflict..

..and to uninstall it. I've had both for a long time and this is the first time Norton flagged it.

Anybody else?

CCat
We're all quite mad here
Premium,MVM
join:2005-12-06
Wonderland
kudos:19
Same here. Luckily I only used it as an on demand scanner.

dib22

join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO
reply to codydog
I only use the freeware version as an on demand, but, when it updated the program (last week or so) I noticed that it added an autorun:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe /install /silent

Perhaps that is what is setting off the conflict? I didn't get the warning but I only have one AV enabled in WAC.

therube

join:2004-11-11
Randallstown, MD
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Verizon Online DSL

1 recommendation

mbamgui.exe /install /silent ???

quote:
That startup entry is placed in the RunOnce key in the registry, meaning it will only attempt to execute after the first reboot after installing a new version of MBAM. In the case of the free version it doesn't do anything except to check for a license key for the pro version, and if found, it installs the active protection module.

You can delete it if you'd like as it would do no harm and wouldn't affect MBAM, however leaving it alone won't hurt your PC's performance either and it will delete itself after the first reboot .

dib22

join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO

1 edit
It did not delete itself after multiple reboots (but I did when I noticed it ).

Anyway I was just mentioning it because it did change recently...never saw this from MBAM before this version.

therube

join:2004-11-11
Randallstown, MD
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to therube
quote:
however leaving it alone won't hurt your PC's performance either and it will delete itself after the first reboot
I can confirm, that with the Free version (not running in Trial mode), on XP, that the entry was there on install & was removed after reboot.

(I'm pretty sure that if you have the licensed version then that autorun entry will persist.)

quote:
never saw this from MBAM before this version
That would seem correct. (Or at least had it been there, it removed itself.)

MagMan
Life is simpler when you tell the truth.
Premium
join:2003-10-01
Westlake, OH
Reviews:
·AT&T Midwest
·AT&T Midwest

1 edit
reply to codydog
Same here, first time I've received that notice very strange.

I've had the pro version for quite awhile, now all of a sudden it's in conflict with NIS.

Disabled in start-up I'll see what happens.
--
"The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is."

MarkAW
Barry White
Premium
join:2001-08-27
Canada
kudos:16

1 edit
reply to codydog
»forums.malwarebytes.org/index.ph···c=125465
Fourth post down in this thread on the Malwarebytes forum shows what to exclude if you are using Norton and Malwarebytes Pro.

quote:
Please exclude the following files from your Antivirus Software (not sure what version of you are using):

Note: If using a software firewall besides the built in Windows Firewall you'll need to exclude them from it as well

For Windows XP
C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbampt.exe
C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\ mbamscheduler.exe
For Windows Vista or Windows 7 & 8:
C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbampt.exe
C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\ mbamscheduler.exe
For 64 bit versions of Windows Vista or Windows 7 & 8:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbampt.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware \ mbamscheduler.exe
Note: If using a software firewall besides the built in Windows Firewall you'll need to exclude MBAM.EXE and MBAMSERVICE.EXE from it as well

Note: Once that's done, please make sure that if either of those programs has any sort of web filter, that you add the following as a trusted site:
data-cdn.mbamupdates.com
--
We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience. (Hmm)
I have enemies? Good. That means I've stood up for something, sometime in my life.

redwolfe_98
Premium
join:2001-06-11
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

1 recommendation

reply to codydog
said by codydog:

Norton now says Malwarebytes is in conflict and to uninstall it. I've had both for a long time and this is the first time Norton flagged it. Anybody else?

is this only when installing the "norton" program or are you getting an alert from the norton program, about "malwarebytes", after the norton program has already been installed?

it is nothing new for norton to prompt people to uninstall other program's during the norton-install, but, if this is after the norton program has already been installed, this is the first time that i have heard of its prompting people to uninstall a program like malwarebytes after the norton program has already been installed..

codydog

Newport, RI

1 recommendation

Both installed for a long time

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
join:2001-03-25
United State
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
said by codydog:

Ditto for me with the free scanner and cleaner client in my updated 64-bit W7 EE SP1 machine.

TonyKlein
Premium
join:2001-07-02
Netherlands

2 recommendations

reply to codydog
Also, according to Malwarebytes' Samuel E Lindsey in response to a similar question:

quote:
Thank you for letting us know. We will be contacting them directly. We have tested and know for a fact that the two do not conflict at all with realtime protection fully enabled. We have deliberately engineered Malwarebytes Anti-Malware to work very differently from a traditional antivirus in order to avoid any such conflicts. If your antivirus detects something, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware doesn't get the chance to see it and your AV quarantines it before Malwarebytes Anti-Malware was even aware of the threat's existence. If your AV misses the threat and the threat attempts to execute, that's when Malwarebytes Anti-Malware steps in and quarantines the threat, thus avoiding any conflicts. We have tested time and time again and have eliminated any conflicts that have arisen and do thorough compatibility testing with every major AV prior to each release of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and Norton's products (Norton Antivirus, Norton Internet Security and Norton 360) are on our list of tested products which our Quality Assurance team has verified compatibility with.

scelli
Native New Yorker
Premium
join:1999-08-07
FLOT/FEBA
reply to codydog
said by codydog:

Same here...been using those two apps (NIS and Malwarebytes Free) for years without any sort of conflict indicated. Just got a blurb on my Win 7 64 machine from NIS 2013 that the current version of Malwarebytes should be removed to avoid any potential conflicts.

Anyone have further info on this? For right now, I'm not doing the recommended uninstall.
--
The maximum effective range of an excuse is ZERO meters!

Dustyn
Premium
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
kudos:11
reply to codydog
Is that with the new Norton 2013?
I have Norton 2012 and Malwarebytes co-exists without issue.

scelli
Native New Yorker
Premium
FLOT/FEBA

1 recommendation

said by Dustyn:

Same here. On my other box (a desktop), I've been running NIS 2012 and Malwarebytes without incident.
--

codydog

Newport, RI

1 recommendation

nis 2013. I uninstalled malware and will watch what happens.

Hank
Searching for a new Frontier
Premium
join:2002-05-21
Burlington, WV
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to Dustyn
said by Dustyn:

Not sure, it may be. I had the issue arise last week. The version of NIS I am using is 20.3.1.22. I have excluded the files that MarkAW mentioned. I'll post back if the problem occurs again.

Dustyn
Premium
Ontario, CAN

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to Dustyn
Sorry.
I also realize that Norton has dumped the year version format on their products. I'll find out what version I'm using shortly... EDIT: it's v19.9.1.14. No conflicts or alerts with this version.

scelli
Native New Yorker
Premium
FLOT/FEBA

1 edit
said by Dustyn:

Sorry.
I also realize that Norton has dumped the year version format on their products. I'll find out what version I'm using shortly... I'm pretty sure it's v19...something.

19.9.1.14 (NIS 2012 w/Vista Ultimate 32 SP2) and 20.3.1.22 (NIS 2013 w/Win 7 64 SP1) here.

Edit for clarification: I only received the conflict warning today and then only on my Win 7 64 box.
--

Dustyn
Premium
Ontario, CAN

1 edit
I have known about this conflict for quite some time now, with the 20.x series only.
Warning NIS 20.3.0.36 NOT compatible with Malwarebytes
However, this would be the first time I have heard users stating that the 19.x line is now affected also!
I will report back if I see any warnings or conflicts. So far zilch.
EDIT1: Forgot to mention that I am running Windows 7 SP1 64-bit.
--
Remember that cool hidden "Graffiti Wall" here on BBR? After the name change I became the "owner", so to speak as it became: Dustyn's Wall »[Serious] RIP

codydog

Newport, RI
nis v 20.3.1.22 running on windows 7, sp1 , fully patched, 64 bit

To me, its not worth the hassle of security programs being in conflict so I kept the one I paid for (nis) and dropped malwarebytes. Hopefully, this gets resolved soon.

byramr
Premium
join:2003-08-07
Woodbridge, VA
+1

scelli
Native New Yorker
Premium
FLOT/FEBA
reply to Dustyn
Actually, I'm more concerned with them fixing the issue of being able to access the Identity Safe feature locally as we discussed in another thread a while back. That's why I continue running NIS 2102 on my desktop, which utilizes Identity Safe on a regular basis and continues to allow local storage.

Don't use that particular NIS feature at all on my Win 7 64 laptop.
--