how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Rama

@indo.net.id
reply to StuartMW

Re: Microsoft posts KB2840149 to replace KB2823324

This afternoon my windows server 2008R2 has rebooted without any permission.. when I check the system log, it say that KB2840149 installed automatically on 4/24/2013 03:00:10 AM. Then theres a warning on 4/24/2013 03:00:11 AM the log says :" The system servicing identified that package KB2840149 security update is not applicable for this system".

What a mess....

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
join:2000-08-06
Galt's Gulch
kudos:2
reply to StuartMW

Good news. My scheduled disk defragmenter ran last night and I haven't seen CHKDSK run during reboots so it looks like Microsoft fixed the issues with KB2823324 in KB2840149.
--
Don't feed trolls--it only makes them grow!

norwegian
Premium
join:2005-02-15
Outback

KIS 2013 installed and runs fine.
CHKDSK ran fine.
Touch wood.

So far all seems to be settled here too.
--
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke

Faster
Premium
join:2013-03-09

1 edit
reply to StuartMW

Boy, this thread has me totally confused as to what's the right thing to do.

My history: Installed K282823324 when it came out. Then people bitched about it so uninstalled it.

Now most recent auto updates installed KB2840149.

Double checked system to insure there is no KB282823324 and its not there.

Checked system and confirmed KB2840149 is installed.

(I have Windows 7 64)

Windows acting "normally."

So, am I done and fine with this issue?

(Damn, speaking just for me as an individual from within my private world and not projecting or pronouncing values on anyone else or their preference or judgment, I do love OS X so much more than Windows.)

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch

said by Faster:

So, am I done and fine with this issue

Yes.
--

Rama

@aaasecurities.com
reply to Rama

Happen again,, system rebooted at 4:19:23 AM on 4/26/2013...

Any suggest?

norwegian
Premium
Outback

See this link, it suggests it is for your system

»support.microsoft.com/kb/2840149

Also the KB article for looking at fixing the BSOD suggests using the command line for uninstalling the update, I'm not a server user so unsure if the method is the same; see this link (Most help topics do not mention server2008 at all):

»support.microsoft.com/kb/2839011#OOGY4

Maybe just uninstalling the update and going to a restore point.
Otherwise, my best suggestion is create a support ticket with Microsoft themselves to sort it out.
--
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke

gugarci
Premium
join:2004-02-25
Lyndhurst, NJ
reply to StuartMW

I finally uninstalled KB2823324 and installed KB2840149 on my last 2 PC's and all is working well. But I had no issues with KB2823324.

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC
kudos:17

I didn't have issues with KB2823324 either - only got a ream of BSOD's post removal. Good to go with KB2840149 in lieu.

Dustyn
Premium
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
kudos:11
reply to StuartMW

said by StuartMW:

Got a backup PC?

. o O (I know he can't post from his phone)

Yes. Windows XP SP3 machine. Plus this Windows 7 has offline Windows 7 image backups along with an array of daily Macrium images.
--
Remember that cool hidden "Graffiti Wall" here on BBR? After the name change I became the "owner", so to speak as it became: Dustyn's Wall »[Serious] RIP

Libra
Premium
join:2003-08-06
USA
kudos:1

1 recommendation

reply to StuartMW

I just finished installing KB2840149 on Vista sp2 and two Windows 7 64 bit. I'm happy to says all seems fine.

Sincerely, Libra

The Shadow
Premium
join:2013-04-18
kudos:4
reply to StuartMW

I uninstalled the first update when the same day I added it through Windows update. No problems for me.

When the "new" update came out I downloaded and installed and I've not had any problems.

Vimalraj

@sterlingstudents.net
reply to StuartMW

My desktop and laptop running Win7 Ultimate with Kaspersky Internet Security are frequently encountering problems after this KB2840149 update. The boot time is more than 3 minutes and some time 5 minutes. Waiting for next patch/update.

Vimalraj

@sterlingstudents.net

Resolved the problems by uninstalling this update. Now everything work fine.

planet

join:2001-11-05
Oz

Late to this party..would an attacker need physical access to exploit? Considering not installing this update but ambivalent wondering if it'll be needed in future for other updates to install.

Cartel
Premium
join:2006-09-13
Chilliwack, BC
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Shaw
·TELUS
reply to StuartMW

»RANT: Why bother hiding a MS update?

»[WIN7] Computer feels sluggish after KB2731847 & KB2724197

planet

join:2001-11-05
Oz

Sindows 7, Thanks for the links. Sorry you are having such a struggle.

Sportsfan

join:2012-03-26
reply to StuartMW

I had problems with KB2840149 (WiFi crashes) after I installed it on top of KB2823324, so I uninstalled both and am waiting to see if MS reissues it.

redwolfe_98
Premium
join:2001-06-11
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

2 edits

said by Sportsfan:

I had problems with KB2840149 (WiFi crashes) after I installed it on top of KB2823324, so I uninstalled both and am waiting to see if MS reissues it.

you didn't follow the instructions to uninstall KB2823324, when it was first discovered to be problematic, and you didn't follow the instructions to uninstall KB2823324, if it was still installed, before installing KB2840149 (first paragraph in the "update FAQ" ).. so, it is not surprising that you had problems..

MS has already addressed the issue: uninstall KB2823324.. then, with KB2823324 uninstalled, install KB2840149..

looking at the vulnerabilities that are addressed by the update, i would consider them to be critical vulnerabilities and, so, i think you should install the update..

Cartel
Premium
join:2006-09-13
Chilliwack, BC
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Shaw
·TELUS

said by redwolfe_98:

said by Sportsfan:

you didn't follow the instructions to uninstall KB2823324, when it was first discovered to be problematic, and you didn't follow the instructions to uninstall KB2823324, if it was still installed, before installing KB2840149 (first paragraph in the "update FAQ" ).. so, it is not surprising that you had problems..

MS has already addressed the issue: uninstall KB2823324.. then, with KB2823324 uninstalled, install KB2840149..

looking at the vulnerabilities that are addressed by the update, i would consider them to be critical vulnerabilities and, so, i think you should install the update..

An attacker must have valid logon credentials and be able to log on locally to exploit this vulnerability.

Not critical at all.

norwegian
Premium
Outback

2 edits
reply to StuartMW

Just for the record:

The first update was uninstalled.
The second was installed.
KIS was loaded, run for a few days and then unloaded.

This is where it got interesting:
Had issues with the admin user, tried system restore, the profile became corrupt, it would load as a default user profile, but attempts to change profile settings, the selections would look like they work but log off and on again and the default profile was loaded.
Artefacts with graphics cards started, on both, sli, and single set up. I didn't even bother with single + phys settings at this point.
Hardware issues in device manager for attached hard drives
com1 port showing in device manager as well as the unknown external drive

Loaded a fresh install of O/S from scratch and all is good as gold again.
Something really went wrong starting with that ntfs.sys update here.

--

johnpd
Premium
join:2003-11-20
Green Valley, AZ
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to StuartMW

I have had two programs initially crash after Tuesday's update.

1. Acronis True Image Home 2011: faulting module "ntdll.dll".

2. AusLogics DiskDefrag v3.2: faulting module "rtl120.bpl".

I restarted them and then they ran ok. I have a Vista 32-bit system. The updates added KB2840149 Tuesday. Do I need to be concerned?

JohnD

Dustyn
Premium
Ontario, CAN
reply to StuartMW

I can't believe after KB2840149 was released to address KB2823324, people are still having issues. I installed the original KB2823324 and could not find any issues to report. Thought for sure KB2840149 would have cleaned things up for everyone who was affected.
--
Remember that cool hidden "Graffiti Wall" here on BBR? After the name change I became the "owner", so to speak as it became: Dustyn's Wall »[Serious] RIP

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch

said by Dustyn:

Thought for sure KB2840149 would have cleaned things up for everyone who was affected.

I'm not sure about that. Microsoft recommended uninstalling KB2823324 when issues first arose.

Since all filesystem operations go through ntfs.sys it is possible that the KB2823324 version caused some corruption or other issue(s) with the KB2840149 one.

Speculation on my part but a possibility.
--

Dustyn
Premium
Ontario, CAN

Hmmm... terrible quality control on Microsofts part.

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch

1 recommendation

With respect I posted about how critical ntfs.sys is to a Windows system

»Re: Microsoft KB2823324 causing issues

I know many decided that they "didn't see an issue" and didn't uninstall KB2823324. I don't know whether that decision caused a problem or not but IMO one turns the gas off if they smell a leak before the house burns down.
--

Dustyn
Premium
Ontario, CAN

I read that entire thread of yours. I completely agree with the recommendations Microsoft issued to remedy the situation. If you are referring to the post I made in that thread about one of those people who "decided that they didn't see an issue and didn't uninstall KB2823324", I do have multiple mirror backups before and after KB2823324. If something were to go wrong, I can easily restore to the point in time prior to KB2823324. My guess is most others who are complaining about these existing lingering issues with KB2823324 and possibly with KB2840149 do not have this option and did not take any backup precautions. If somehow I do have an issue after the fact, you can bet I won't cry wolf.
--

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch

1 recommendation

I wasn't referring to you specifically (my memory isn't that sharp anymore) but in general.

Many Windows updates only affect a small part of the system. My point is that this one affects a critical driver in the system. In short it affects every Windows system regardless of specific hardware, programs etc. That is not something you mess with lightly.

And as always one should always have backups
--

Dustyn
Premium
Ontario, CAN

Agreed, point taken.

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch

BTW I agree with your point about Microsoft's poor quality control. They must've been aware that any fault with an ntfs.sys update could toast millions of users.

That update should've been tested so hard that a new HD (due to wear) on the test box would've been required.
--