Premium Member
join:2003-08-06
USA

1 recommendation

Libra to StuartMW

Premium Member

to StuartMW

Re: Microsoft posts KB2840149 to replace KB2823324

I just finished installing KB2840149 on Vista sp2 and two Windows 7 64 bit. I'm happy to says all seems fine.

Sincerely, Libra

Domane
Premium Member
join:2013-04-18

Domane to StuartMW

Premium Member

to StuartMW
I uninstalled the first update when the same day I added it through Windows update. No problems for me.

When the "new" update came out I downloaded and installed and I've not had any problems.

Vimalraj
@sterlingstudents.net

Vimalraj to StuartMW

Anon

to StuartMW
My desktop and laptop running Win7 Ultimate with Kaspersky Internet Security are frequently encountering problems after this KB2840149 update. The boot time is more than 3 minutes and some time 5 minutes. Waiting for next patch/update.
Vimalraj

Vimalraj

Anon

Resolved the problems by uninstalling this update. Now everything work fine.

planet
join:2001-11-05
Oz

planet

Late to this party..would an attacker need physical access to exploit? Considering not installing this update but ambivalent wondering if it'll be needed in future for other updates to install.

Cartel
Intel inside Your sensitive data outside
Premium Member
join:2006-09-13
Chilliwack, BC

Cartel to StuartMW

Premium Member

to StuartMW
»RANT: Why bother hiding a MS update?

»[WIN7] Computer feels sluggish after KB2731847 & KB2724197

planet
join:2001-11-05
Oz

planet

Sindows 7, Thanks for the links. Sorry you are having such a struggle.

Sportsfan
join:2012-03-26

Sportsfan to StuartMW

to StuartMW
I had problems with KB2840149 (WiFi crashes) after I installed it on top of KB2823324, so I uninstalled both and am waiting to see if MS reissues it.
redwolfe_98
Premium Member
join:2001-06-11

2 edits

redwolfe_98

Premium Member

said by Sportsfan:

I had problems with KB2840149 (WiFi crashes) after I installed it on top of KB2823324, so I uninstalled both and am waiting to see if MS reissues it.

you didn't follow the instructions to uninstall KB2823324, when it was first discovered to be problematic, and you didn't follow the instructions to uninstall KB2823324, if it was still installed, before installing KB2840149 (first paragraph in the "update FAQ" ).. so, it is not surprising that you had problems..

MS has already addressed the issue: uninstall KB2823324.. then, with KB2823324 uninstalled, install KB2840149..

looking at the vulnerabilities that are addressed by the update, i would consider them to be critical vulnerabilities and, so, i think you should install the update..

Cartel
Intel inside Your sensitive data outside
Premium Member
join:2006-09-13
Chilliwack, BC

Cartel

Premium Member

said by redwolfe_98:

said by Sportsfan:

you didn't follow the instructions to uninstall KB2823324, when it was first discovered to be problematic, and you didn't follow the instructions to uninstall KB2823324, if it was still installed, before installing KB2840149 (first paragraph in the "update FAQ" ).. so, it is not surprising that you had problems..

MS has already addressed the issue: uninstall KB2823324.. then, with KB2823324 uninstalled, install KB2840149..

looking at the vulnerabilities that are addressed by the update, i would consider them to be critical vulnerabilities and, so, i think you should install the update..

An attacker must have valid logon credentials and be able to log on locally to exploit this vulnerability.

Not critical at all.

norwegian
Premium Member
join:2005-02-15
Outback

2 edits

norwegian to StuartMW

Premium Member

to StuartMW
Just for the record:

The first update was uninstalled.
The second was installed.
KIS was loaded, run for a few days and then unloaded.

This is where it got interesting:
Had issues with the admin user, tried system restore, the profile became corrupt, it would load as a default user profile, but attempts to change profile settings, the selections would look like they work but log off and on again and the default profile was loaded.
Artefacts with graphics cards started, on both, sli, and single set up. I didn't even bother with single + phys settings at this point.
Hardware issues in device manager for attached hard drives
com1 port showing in device manager as well as the unknown external drive

Loaded a fresh install of O/S from scratch and all is good as gold again.
Something really went wrong starting with that ntfs.sys update here.
johnpd
Premium Member
join:2003-11-20
Green Valley, AZ

johnpd to StuartMW

Premium Member

to StuartMW
I have had two programs initially crash after Tuesday's update.

1. Acronis True Image Home 2011: faulting module "ntdll.dll".

2. AusLogics DiskDefrag v3.2: faulting module "rtl120.bpl".

I restarted them and then they ran ok. I have a Vista 32-bit system. The updates added KB2840149 Tuesday. Do I need to be concerned?

JohnD

Dustyn
Premium Member
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
·Carry Telecom
·TekSavvy Cable
Asus GT-AX11000
Technicolor TC4400

Dustyn to StuartMW

Premium Member

to StuartMW
I can't believe after KB2840149 was released to address KB2823324, people are still having issues. I installed the original KB2823324 and could not find any issues to report. Thought for sure KB2840149 would have cleaned things up for everyone who was affected.

StuartMW
Premium Member
join:2000-08-06

StuartMW

Premium Member

said by Dustyn:

Thought for sure KB2840149 would have cleaned things up for everyone who was affected.

I'm not sure about that. Microsoft recommended uninstalling KB2823324 when issues first arose.

Since all filesystem operations go through ntfs.sys it is possible that the KB2823324 version caused some corruption or other issue(s) with the KB2840149 one.

Speculation on my part but a possibility.

Dustyn
Premium Member
Ontario, CAN

Dustyn

Premium Member

Hmmm... terrible quality control on Microsofts part.

StuartMW
Premium Member

1 recommendation

StuartMW

Premium Member

With respect I posted about how critical ntfs.sys is to a Windows system

»Re: Microsoft KB2823324 causing issues

I know many decided that they "didn't see an issue" and didn't uninstall KB2823324. I don't know whether that decision caused a problem or not but IMO one turns the gas off if they smell a leak before the house burns down.

Dustyn
Premium Member
Ontario, CAN
·Carry Telecom
·TekSavvy Cable
Asus GT-AX11000
Technicolor TC4400

Dustyn

Premium Member

I read that entire thread of yours. I completely agree with the recommendations Microsoft issued to remedy the situation. If you are referring to the post I made in that thread about one of those people who "decided that they didn't see an issue and didn't uninstall KB2823324", I do have multiple mirror backups before and after KB2823324. If something were to go wrong, I can easily restore to the point in time prior to KB2823324. My guess is most others who are complaining about these existing lingering issues with KB2823324 and possibly with KB2840149 do not have this option and did not take any backup precautions. If somehow I do have an issue after the fact, you can bet I won't cry wolf.

StuartMW
Premium Member

1 recommendation

StuartMW

Premium Member

I wasn't referring to you specifically (my memory isn't that sharp anymore) but in general.

Many Windows updates only affect a small part of the system. My point is that this one affects a critical driver in the system. In short it affects every Windows system regardless of specific hardware, programs etc. That is not something you mess with lightly.

And as always one should always have backups

Dustyn
Premium Member
Ontario, CAN

Dustyn

Premium Member

Agreed, point taken.

StuartMW
Premium Member

StuartMW

Premium Member

BTW I agree with your point about Microsoft's poor quality control. They must've been aware that any fault with an ntfs.sys update could toast millions of users.

That update should've been tested so hard that a new HD (due to wear) on the test box would've been required.

norwegian
Premium Member
join:2005-02-15
Outback

norwegian to Dustyn

Premium Member

to Dustyn
said by Dustyn:

My guess is most others who are complaining about these existing lingering issues with KB2823324 and possibly with KB2840149 do not have this option and did not take any backup precautions. If somehow I do have an issue after the fact, you can bet I won't cry wolf.

LOL. It does help doesn't it having back ups.

I posted just for reference to the fact it and/or KIS2013 creating a driver issue and also I gather NTOSKNL attributes issue, but it may have just been HAL itself. There was an underlying hardware/driver issue left from my testing that affected the O/S and third party drivers.

I could have used an image as there is 3 differing full O/S images on sets of CD's, but as there was a specific graphics/driver issue and an old 8800GT card, I thought it best to pave n wipe.

It was purely informational in case someone started having or saw a development of a similar issue for April's updates.
In fact there is a user in the hardware forum that was willing to wipe and pave after seeing a graphics issue too.
Something i'm keenly interested in the results of and grateful for them testing this too.

Just keep in mind if you see hardware driver issues shortly, try an image just prior to the April update and see if it goes away.

StuartMW
Premium Member

StuartMW

Premium Member

said by norwegian:

It does help doesn't it having back ups.

It sure does

All of my boxes get totally (complete) backed up weekly. One also does daily backups (it's main job).

I've been backing up regularly for two decades or more. I haven't kept count how many times having a backup had saved me from disaster. Whether a HD failed, a flaky OS (e.g. OS/2 Warp) totally corrupted the filesystem or whatever I've been able to recover.

Failure to plan is planning to fail
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

dave

Premium Member

said by StuartMW:

Failure to plan is planning to fail.

Side issue: I'd reject any programmer who said that at interview, since it's clear their grasp of propositional calculus is weak. It's asserting that not-P implies P.

StuartMW
Premium Member

1 edit

StuartMW

Premium Member

Another aside. I've known a great many programmers/engineers that never performed a backup in their life and paid the price.

I'd have fired them had I had the authority

PS: On the other side of the coin I was once tasked with locating the source code, build tools etc for the project of a recently fired engineer. The guy had about 10 copies of the project, all slightly different, scattered all over his machine. None of them produced the same binary that he'd recently released to manufacturing. When anyone mentioned his name my boss would mutter under his breath words to the effect "That no good son of a ...".
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

dave

Premium Member

said by StuartMW:

Another aside. I've known a great many programmers/engineers that never performed a backup in their life and paid the price.

I'd have fired them had I had the authority

If you weren't running a decent version-control system, I wouldn't have taken the job in the first place

It's essential to be able to recover the state of the software as it existed on practically any date.

(And once you have a decent version control, backup gets done on the machine that has the repository)

PS: On the other side of the coin I was once tasked with locating the source code, (...)

Not knowing the specifics, it's hard to say whether the original sin was with this particular son-of-a-bitch, or an organzation that failed to have proper source control. One shouldn't have to go looking, one ought to be able to know it's in the repository.

At this point you can probably tell that I regard decent source control as being the second most important software tool (right after the editor - if you don't have the editor, then you don't have anything to store).

StuartMW
Premium Member

StuartMW

Premium Member

said by dave:

One shouldn't have to go looking, one ought to be able to know it's in the repository.

Yes we had a VCS. It was free and not very good one IMO but it was there. I knew how to use it. This guy didn't and frequently "messed up" (which I got to fix).

This individual told our boss that everything was checked in. That was a lie. That was the problem.

I've always used VCS religiously.

PS: Our VCS was backed up up--daily. Doesn't do much good when people don't use the VCS in the first place.