spc

spacer

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

battleop

join:2005-09-28

Converting 3 Way switch to Insteon switches

I've bough some Insteon light switches for my house. I've got some exterior lights that are wired out as 3 way switches. With the Insteon switches you can't replace them as a 3 way switch. You have to replace one side and wire it like a normal single switch circuit and then on the far end power another Insteon wall switch and then configure one of the buttons to operate the far end switch.

So on the side with power you install it like a normal switch and cap the messenger (red in my case) and then go to the far side and cap the messenger and tie the black and white together.

From a code/safety point is there anything wrong with removing the switch, capping the messenger, connecting the black and white and then replace the switch cover with a blank cover?

For those who don't know what Insteon is »www.insteon.com/dimmers.html I'm using some dimmer and on/off and some of the 6 button switches. I'm installing 3 8 button switches in the master bedroom so I can control everything from one panel.
--
I do not, have not, and will not work for AT&T/Comcast/Verizon/Charter or similar sized company.

dick white
Premium
join:2000-03-24
Annandale, VA
I don't know how they install, were already in place when I bought my house, but there were 2 sets that are 3-way. The switch on each end is a similar Insteon type. On one of them, for reasons relating to a different switch in the same box at one end that needed to changed and could not be in the same box as the Insteon, I had to change that end to a standard toggle switch, which is not supported by the Insteon system. So I had to change both ends to standard toggles.

So yes, you could remove one of the 3-way switches, cap the wires under a blank cover and wire the other as single switch, but why would you if there is an available 3-way solution from Insteon? Some 3-way switches are set that way because code requires the light to be controllable from either end. Others are purely for convenience. Which situation applies to your light? What functionality do you lose by removing that switch?

dw

battleop

join:2005-09-28
Instead of wiring a 3way you cross link like this. My real concerns are more about capping off a 3way where it's very difficult to access the fixture and just re-wire back to the single switch.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxNKJd9B ··· KJd9BfuQ

--
I do not, have not, and will not work for AT&T/Comcast/Verizon/Charter or similar sized company.

b_p_smith
Premium
join:2002-02-13
Merrickville, ON
reply to battleop
The way you describe is exactly what I did. Basically simulating the distant switch from always being in the "ON" position. I then put on a blank cover plate to hide the wiring, and installed the Insteon as normal on the other end. Been working that way for years.
--
Xplornet WiMAX -} Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH running DD-WRT -} about 13 machines running everything you can think of.

tschmidt
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
kudos:9
Reviews:
·FirstLight Fiber
·Hollis Hosting
·G4 Communications
reply to battleop
What you are proposing is fine, you have basically turned the far end switch into a junction box.

The only code concern is that even though you are not using the far end it still needs to be accessible. Just put a blank cover plate on it. If you ever remodel you cannot bury the box in the wall, splices have to be accessible.

/tom

djrobx
Premium
join:2000-05-31
Valencia, CA
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VOIPO
reply to battleop
said by battleop:

From a code/safety point is there anything wrong with removing the switch, capping the messenger, connecting the black and white and then replace the switch cover with a blank cover?

Usually in 3 way applications, you buy a relatively cheap "slave" switch (look at your Insteon switch to find the correct model # of slave), and use the red traveler wire to transmit the on/off signal back to the master (typically a yellow wire on the master switch).

If you just don't need the 3 way operation, covering it with a blank wall plate should be fine. It's just an accessible junction box at that point.
--
AT&T U-Hearse - RIP Unlimited Internet 1995-2011
Rethink Billable.