spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

watts3000

join:2002-01-21

[CATV] switched digital video channel list

I would like to know how does one go about getting a list of channels that are on switched digital video? I ask this because we use cable cards and this info would help in regards to troubleshooting problems with my media center configuration.

kherr
Premium
join:2000-09-04
Collinsville, IL
Reviews:
·Charter

Depends what package and lineup in your area. Switched Digital is the transmission format. If your using a cablecard you'll also need the adapter (which is free). The trick is getting a Charter tech that knows how to activate the CC and SDA so it also talks to your device. When I had a Pro install ($20) for my 2 Tivos, it took awhile and multiple "hits" till it took. Since then, no problems.

watts3000

I have everything hooked up I run an HD Homerun that's connected to a tuning adapter with windows media center 7. The problem is I have noticed when tuning certain channels I get a message telling me the channel is not available I want a few seconds than it kicks in. Sometimes I get the message I will press the channel up button than channel down button and the channel kicks in but it's channels that are most likely not watched that much example game show network.

Dogg
Premium
join:2003-06-11
Belleville, IL
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to watts3000

You should be able to pull a full channel line up on the Charter website.

I see a similar error using Charter supplied DVR's. I will often get "channel is not available. ref error code xxxx" Simply waiting or switching up and down channels a few times and it will tune properly.
--
Google is your Friend

kherr
Premium
join:2000-09-04
Collinsville, IL
Reviews:
·Charter

OK , now I know what he was meaning. I get those "stutters" once in a blue moon and chalk it up to Charter's SOP of trying to be a cable company. . Trying to find a list and no less figure out what package the channels belong to is a great shot in the dark. I found a listing long ago, but was outdated even then. I haven't tried to find anything for a time because Tivo will notify you when channels are add/subtracted. Then I'll go to it to see if it is in my package.

watts3000

I actually thought it was a problem with Windows media center at first than I realized others were having the same problems on there Tivo. I will try to get the info from a tech next time I talk to one because I know the customer service reps do not know.

mdavej

join:2004-06-09
united state
reply to watts3000

FWIW, there is hope. Once you have the SDV adapter and cable properly authenticated, you will get every SDV channel in Windows Media Center. After weeks of trying, I eventually got someone at Charter who knew how to activate those devices. Most you talk to at Charter have no idea.

watts3000

mdavej I do get every channel so that's not a problem I am speaking of when you tune to SDV channels they don't come up right away. For example, some Tivo users and myself as a W7 Media Center user will get channel not available but if you turn to a different channel and come back it will start playing sometimes if it sits there a few seconds it will start playing. I only see these problems on what I believe to be SDV channels all other channels tune very quickly.

mdavej

united state
reply to watts3000

I don't have that problem. But seems like I recall that issue with Ceton where the beta driver improved the timing to get rid of that error. Have you loaded the latest driver for your cable card tuner device? You should probably open a support ticket with the maker of your tuner. The fact that it does eventually work seems to indicate the TA itself is ok.

watts3000

As of right now I am running the latest software and firmware but I will open a ticket with them.

InThe Know

@charter.com

Watts300 what system are you in? I can probably get a list of switched channels. Generally what you are describing is due to having a high amount of non traditional viewers in your node or a lot of channel surfers will wreak havoc on SDV. There are normally 4 or 5 QAMs dedicated to SDV that can carry 5 to 12 programs each. When a program is selected a 4hr lease is issued and as long as someone in the service group is tuned in that video stream is available to the entire node. If all available slots are active with lease times then a search has to be conducted to find a stream that can be released in order to fulfill the new request. This all take time that can result in delays or black channels.

watts3000

My area is using the Scientific Atlanta system. BTW the area we live in has a ton of older retired people so I can see the non traditional part.

InTheKnow

@charter.com

What city?

watts3000

Alabaster Al or you might need to check Maylene Al depends on how it's listed.

InTheKnow

@charter.com

Actually for future referece you are fed from the Montevallo Headend. I'm working on getting the SDV channel list now.

watts3000

I always wondered where our headend was located.

InTheKnow

@charter.com

Watts3000, I haven't received an answer on the switched channels list so it will be Monday before I can get you a up-to date list.

watts3000

Ok thanks for the update

watts3000

Any more info on the switched channels

InTheKnow

@charter.com

I had a family emergency come up so I haven't been in the office this week. Posting from hospital waiting room now. It will be late next week before I get a chance to check further on the SDC channels.

InTheKnow

@charter.com

watts3000: there is a realignment of SDV channels being sorted out so i cant get a current list for your area at this time. I will follow up ASAP.

InTheKnow

@charter.com

Click for full size
downloadMontevallo C···tion.pdf 588,828 bytes
Montevallo AL Channel Allocation
Watt3000 All Standard Digital channels are switched. HD channels are not switched. All Analog channels have a digital simulcast which means if you use a settop box or cablecard you recieve 100% digital content. Also some good new Bham area will roll out 8 downstream channel bonding in the near future.

Yuuan

join:2013-01-03
Nome, AK

There's a good bit of HD channels that are switched, and not all standard digital channels are switched either. Anything below 111 is not SDV.

All areas fed out of Montevallo will roll the 8 QAMs...1st Charter site out of Alabama to have them. The bandwidth allocation that you posted represents the future lineup, not the current one.

zed260
Premium
join:2011-11-11
Cleveland, TN
reply to InTheKnow

intheknow can you get that info for cleveland tn

mdavej

united state
reply to watts3000

If you have a Ceton tuner, the link below has a method to do it. While not 100%, it should be close.

»www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie···8&t=3564

motorola870

join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX
kudos:3

said by mdavej:

If you have a Ceton tuner, the link below has a method to do it. While not 100%, it should be close.

»www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie···8&t=3564

the silicondust 3 tuner does it as well