uniqs

robbin
Mod
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

robbin to TheSMJ

Mod

to TheSMJ

Re: How to locate squirrel's entrance into roof?

What I've done in the past to evict them is seal up all of the holes really good but give them a way to get out that they can't get back in through. For instance, I took the screen out of a soffit vent and created a chute out of sheetmetal about a foot long hanging down. They were able to jump out but had no way to climb back up it. Be diligent watching for them trying to get back in. Close and repair any new holes they make. They will give up after a few days and find someplace else to live.

StillLearn
Premium Member
join:2002-03-21
Streamwood, IL

StillLearn

Premium Member

said by robbin:

What I've done in the past to evict them is seal up all of the holes really good but give them a way to get out that they can't get back in through. For instance, I took the screen out of a soffit vent and created a chute out of sheetmetal about a foot long hanging down. They were able to jump out but had no way to climb back up it. Be diligent watching for them trying to get back in. Close and repair any new holes they make. They will give up after a few days and find someplace else to live.

That's brilliant. Did you happen to keep a picture?
TheSMJ
join:2009-08-19
Farmington, MI

1 edit

TheSMJ to robbin

to robbin
said by robbin:

This might work, but I'm not sure if I'd have enough room to attach sheet metal around the holes. Even if I did, it would have the same effect when they come back - they'll find they're unable to get back in, so they'll try to make new holes elsewhere, gnawing on everything until they locate a weakness.

I'd rather not have to chase them around fixing new holes like 8744675 had to deal with until they eventually give up. The only way to prevent that is by removing the offenders from the property, dead or alive.
said by Tig:

While we're waiting for today's squirrel update, I though I'd ask what kind of squirrels are these? Around here we have the large grey or black (rarely brown) squirrels and also red squirrels. And of course chipmunks.
Predators seem to maintain them all at a reasonable ballance.

They're grey squirrels. Eastern grey squirrels to be exact. I'm waiting to see if the Michigan Humane Society will loan me live traps (we've been playing phone tag all day) otherwise I'm using the rat sized snap traps since I can't bring myself to spend $40-$80 on what is far from an endangered species.

EDIT: Nope. No traps available from the Humane Society. Might have to go the rat trap route.

I don't want to kill them, but ultimately I need them out of the house. Lucky for them it'll be raining all day so I can't leave traps out w/o the bait washing away. Might have to wait until tomorrow or this weekend at the latest.

StillLearn
Premium Member
join:2002-03-21
Streamwood, IL

StillLearn

Premium Member

said by TheSMJ:

Lucky for them it'll be raining all day so I can't leave traps out w/o the bait washing away. Might have to wait until tomorrow or this weekend at the latest.

Unshelled peanuts don't wash away. Maybe put a couple near the trap, and tie one to the trap trigger with thread.