Tell me more x
, there is a new speed test available. Give it a try, leave feedback!
dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA
kudos:3
reply to AnonMan

Re: [IPv6] Comcast Business IPV6 trials

said by AnonMan :

Fwiw it won't fix any said PB issues short of it getting ripped out, which is hit or miss these days.

Just great. It's total BS that business class connections don't enjoy properly shaped traffic. Sick of the weird issues the "harsh" shaping causes.
--
"I drank what?" -Socrates

AVonGauss
Premium
join:2007-11-01
Boynton Beach, FL
I've been avoiding posting a reply to this topic of PB shaping since it appears there is definitely something a bit quirky with it, however...

You don't have a guaranteed rate with an Internet connection, consumer / business, cable / dsl / fios / OC48 / T1 - that's just the nature of the Internet. How can this be causing such a technical problem with your setup? If you don't want to see the effect of any upload PB, then simply limit your traffic to the maximum that is specified for your service level. For the download, you have no control but you also have no control on how the other end is going to send you the data either. If you're that sensitive to download fluctuations, the issue is in your setup.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA
Upstream is not the problem, downstream is. I can artificially limit it with ipfw on FreeBSD, but it's still not shaped smoothly (which is to be expected for incoming traffic rate).

It causes problems because a persistent socket will have timeouts and issues due to the packet loss (which is what is used to keep the throughput averaged out to the subscribed rate). This is especially noticeable for me with an interactive VNC session.
--

camper
Premium
join:2010-03-21
Bethel, CT
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to AnonMan
What you say makes sense. But, if I may, I'd like to add a couple of other comments...

1) I would think that Comcast may not want to have a mono-culture in the equipment they use, i.e., they may not want to rely totally on cisco for their equipment.

2) Comcast have most likely accumulated an assortment [I'm being kind] of equipment as a result of the various acquisitions they have made.

So now, put yourself in the seat of the person at Comcast who has to make all this work.

You have a decision to make.

You need to keep the infrastructure running, and you also have to move into the future. So, what is your plan?

Do you create custom code for the equipment you have so that the wild assortment of equipment you have inherited can be managed from a single higher-level interface, i.e., throw money at the investment phase. Or do you hire a lot more people to manage all that assorted equipment on a day-to-day basis, i.e., throw money at the operations phase.

In other words....

Do you go on a capital spending spree that makes your shareholders revolt for a quarter or two?

Or do you take on operational costs that you will have to live with for years, making your customers revolt over increased monthly rates?

Which option would you choose?

netcool
Premium,VIP
join:2008-11-05
Englewood, CO
kudos:118

1 recommendation

reply to AnonMan
said by AnonMan :

Cisco has plenty of other providers with IPv6 working fine.

How many of them are using uBR10012 CMTS and have IPV6 enabled for their DOCSIS customers?

AnonMan

@comcast.net
If it's running with a pre-1 they wont of course as the requirements are pre-2 or better...

That said, it also requires to be on the proper firmware...

All units that Cisco advertise as IPV6 compatible DO work.

netcool
Premium,VIP
join:2008-11-05
Englewood, CO
kudos:118

2 recommendations

said by AnonMan :

All units that Cisco advertise as IPV6 compatible DO work.

Its nice that you believe their advertising. I wish I still did.

AnonMan

@comcast.net
Having used one first hand I know it works, it's not just advertisement.

While yes some issues can happen, most of the time it's the provider, and in this case for Comcast that is true. Cisco is working with Comcast on the issues but the issue isn't Cisco and Cisco doesn't have to help them, just willing to. The Cisco equipment functions as designed.

ropeguru
Premium
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA
reply to ctgreybeard
Still waiting on the firmware upgrade here for the SMC to come through. Cannot do anything until that happens.

WB3FFV

join:2001-12-11
Abingdon, MD
reply to ctgreybeard
Well here in Harford County, MD, our SMC D3G finally got the update to the new firmware that supports IPv6, so nice to see something is happening. I wonder how long after they update the modems they will actually enable the ability for us to actually use IPv6, as at least currently it just blank fields for all the IPv6 settings..

DrDeke

join:2004-05-18
Ypsilanti, MI
In Ypsilanti MI, my SMC D3G updated to IPv6-capable firmware yesterday as well, although it is still not getting a v6 address. I did sign up for the business ipv6 trial, so maybe that has something to do with it, or maybe they're just pushing that new firmware generally.

ropeguru
Premium
Mechanicsville, VA
Did you get it automatically or did you have to power cycle?

DrDeke

Ypsilanti, MI
I had power cycled for another reason.

ropeguru
Premium
Mechanicsville, VA
said by DrDeke:

I had power cycled for another reason.

Cool... I will power cycle mine when I get home and see if we are getting it here yet.

ropeguru

1 edit
reply to ctgreybeard
Just got the upgraded firmware here also.

Edit: Anyone else seeing upload power boost. Before the upgrade I was getting 35/7 (27/7 plan) and now I am seeing 35/13.

So did they really bork something with the 27/7 profile and this new firmware fix it?

Shaper Probe Results look crazy on the burst.

Shaper Detection Module.

Connected to server 38.98.51.25.

Estimating capacity:
Upstream: 13510 Kbps.
Downstream: 35978 Kbps.

The measurement will take upto 2.5 minutes. Please wait.

Checking for traffic shapers:

Upstream: Burst size: 9590-9803 KB;
Shaping rate: 7466 Kbps.

Downstream: Burst size: 19645-20003 KB;
Shaping rate: 28746 Kbps.

NetFixer
Snarl For The Camera Please
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Comcast Business..
·Cingular Wireless
said by ropeguru:

Just got the upgraded firmware here also.

Edit: Anyone else seeing upload power boost. Before the upgrade I was getting 35/7 (27/7 plan) and now I am seeing 35/13.

So did they really bork something with the 27/7 profile and this new firmware fix it?

You could have also received a new config file in addition to the new firmware. Unfortunately, that information is not visible to the customer with the SMCD3G-CCR gateway.
--
A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA
reply to ropeguru
I have had upstream powerboost from the get go with 27/7, but only see about 10 Mbps not 13. Nice!

DiffProbe release. January 2012.
Shaper Detection Module.

Connected to server 74.63.50.40.

Estimating capacity:
Upstream: 10469 Kbps.
Downstream: 35119 Kbps.

The measurement will last for about 2.5 minutes. Please wait.

Checking for traffic shapers:

Upstream: Burst size: 9733-9839 KB; Shaping rate: 7466 Kbps.

Downstream: Burst size: 19665-19880 KB; Shaping rate: 28728 Kbps.

For more information, visit: »www.cc.gatech.edu/~parth ··· iffprobe

--

derekivey

join:2006-03-30
San Jose, CA

2 edits
reply to ctgreybeard
Our modem just went down. It appears to have lost all downstream and upstream channels. They keep coming back and dropping off again. Maybe they are rolling out IPv6 to our CMTS now?

Routing appears to stop in Virginia...

traceroute to 50.76.XXX.XXX, 30 hops max, 40 byte packets
1 pfsense.mydomain.net (10.0.0.1) 0.183 ms 0.198 ms 0.236 ms
2 L100.HRBGPA-VFTTP-12.verizon-gni.net (98.117.0.1) 1.430 ms 1.819 ms 2.066
3 G10-0-8-212.HRBGPA-LCR-02.verizon-gni.net (130.81.184.150) 3.729 ms 3.830
4 so-12-1-0-0.RES-BB-RTR1.verizon-gni.net (130.81.28.254) 16.010 ms 16.034 m
5 0.xe-10-1-0.BR3.IAD8.ALTER.NET (152.63.7.221) 16.259 ms 16.218 ms 16.239
6 ix-20-0.tcore1.AEQ-Ashburn.as6453.net (66.198.154.53) 16.339 ms 16.354 ms
7 if-2-2.tcore2.AEQ-Ashburn.as6453.net (216.6.87.1) 16.506 ms 16.468 ms 16.
8 te-0-11-0-1-pe01.ashburn.va.ibone.comcast.net (66.208.233.45) 17.278 ms te- 7.102 (216.6.87.102) 16.501 ms
9 pos-3-12-0-0-cr01.ashburn.va.ibone.comcast.net (68.86.86.141) 20.100 ms 19
10 * * *
11 * * *

Edit: Back online now. No IPv6 yet but I noticed that our first few Comcast hops now have AAAA records. I don't remember those being there...

EG
The wings of love
Premium
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ
kudos:10
Hops 2, 3, and 4 are Verizon ???

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA
Looks like a trace from somewhere else to their Comcast IP.
--

EG
The wings of love
Premium
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ
kudos:10
Sure does.

derekivey

San Jose, CA
reply to EG
It's a trace from my home IP to our office Comcast connection.

DrDeke

Ypsilanti, MI
reply to ctgreybeard
Hi,

Is there any news on when these IPv6 business trials might start?

Thanks!
Rusty

ropeguru
Premium
Mechanicsville, VA
reply to ctgreybeard
Anyone heard anything?

It has been a month and a half now since the welcome email. I sent an email requesting info to the email address that was on the welcome I got and no one has responded.

NetDog
Premium,VIP
join:2002-03-04
Parker, CO
kudos:81
reply to ctgreybeard
You will start seeing accepted emails shortly..
--
Comcaster.. Network Engineer with NETO

Bill_F

join:2010-02-09
Huntsville, AL

1 recommendation

reply to ctgreybeard
I got this email yesterday.

"Dear Comcast Business customer,
Thank you for your interest in the Comcast Business IPv6 trial! We are writing to let you know that your account and/or service area is not currently eligible for the initial phase of this program. However, as the trial continues we will expand the service areas and will reach out again to confirm your interest in participating in the future phases of the trial.
In the meantime, all trial feedback and support will be via our existing Comcast Business online community at business.comcast.com/forums. Feel free to visit to check on status or to post questions.
Thanks,

Comcast Business IPv6 Trial team"

I look forward to seeing some more information soon about the implementation they are testing.

Bill

jaxipv6

@comcastbusiness.net
I just got the 3.1.6.54 firmware for my SMC modem about 2 days ago here in Jacksonville FL, and I do see the IPv6 related settings. So how long until I will be assigned an IPv6 prefix? (and hopefully more then a /64 ).

derekivey

San Jose, CA
reply to ctgreybeard
Just got this message . I've been on the 3.1.6.54 firmware for a few months and comcast6.net says my CMTS supports IPv6 .

quote:
Dear Comcast Business customer,

Thank you for your interest in the Comcast Business IPv6 trial! We are writing to let you know that your account and/or service area is not currently eligible for the initial phase of this program. However, as the trial continues we will expand the service areas and will reach out again to confirm your interest in participating in the future phases of the trial.

In the meantime, all trial feedback and support will be via our existing Comcast Business online community at business.comcast.com/forums. Feel free to visit to check on status or to post questions.

Thanks,

Comcast Business IPv6 Trial team

ropeguru
Premium
Mechanicsville, VA

1 edit
said by derekivey:

Just got this message . I've been on the 3.1.6.54 firmware for a few months and comcast6.net says my CMTS supports IPv6 .

quote:
Dear Comcast Business customer,

Thanks,

Comcast Business IPv6 Trial team

Just got the same email and all I can say is "REALLY?"!!!

THis is completely outrageous ... Typical Comcast!!

NetDog
Premium,VIP
join:2002-03-04
Parker, CO
kudos:81
reply to ctgreybeard
At this time the business services soak is in one area. It should expand at some point but right now it is in one area.
--
Comcaster.. Network Engineer with NETO