uniqs
share rss forum feed

daveinpoway
Premium
join:2006-07-03
Poway, CA
kudos:2

RadioShack To Update Brand, Assortment, Stores

I'm not sure if this is appropriate for this section, but it does relate to a seller of electronics.

"Fort Worth, Texas – RadioShack plans to refresh its brand, assortment and stores to attract a new, younger customer and reverse a string of successive quarterly losses.":

»www.twice.com/articletype/news/r···s/106235

leibold
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET

Unfortunately the article is vague on details. I wonder whether the new RadioShack will still have electronic components at all? While it wasn't clearly stated it sounded like the focus will be electronic products not parts.

The number of stores catering to electronic hobbyists are sure declining. Even at Fry's Electronics I find the shelf space and product selection for electronic parts to be decreasing.

I remember when I grew up that I had 4 different electronic stores within the radius of a short bicycle trip (or a long walk).
--
Got some spare cpu cycles ? Join Team Helix or Team Starfire!

daveinpoway
Premium
join:2006-07-03
Poway, CA
kudos:2

Just taking a guess here: Since many young people are not interested in building and repairing things, if RS is planning on appealing to younger customers, stocking electronic parts will probably not be a priority.

SparkChaser
Premium
join:2000-06-06
Downingtown, PA
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by daveinpoway:

Just taking a guess here: Since many young people are not interested in building and repairing things, if RS is planning on appealing to younger customers, stocking electronic parts will probably not be a priority.

Tend to agree, the only thing is the space taking up for parts is very small in the local RS. I would think that if if it's worth it, they'll keep it.
--
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored." - Aldous Huxley

"Omne ignotum pro magnifico."

TheMG
Premium
join:2007-09-04
Canada
Reviews:
·NorthWest Tel
reply to daveinpoway

Here in Canada, most if not all Radio Shacks have been bought out by "The Source by Circuit City".

They still have some electronic components, but the selection is VERY limited, not at all what it used to be. Their main focus parts-wise is audio related accessories such as connectors and cables, fuses, etc. In other words, stuff that the average person is more likely to need.

Most of the other stuff they sell in the store is smartphone/tablets and accessories, TVs, sound systems, USB gadgets, computers, and other miscellaneous gadgets.

I wouldn't be surprised if Radio Shack in the states goes the same direction, brand name notwithstanding.

cowboyro
Premium
join:2000-10-11
Shelton, CT

1 recommendation

reply to daveinpoway

The reality is that it is impractical to keep many components in retail stores especially when they will almost never sell. One can buy components online for a fraction of the cost of what a retail-packaged unit will sell.

aurgathor

join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

1 recommendation

The other reality is that many of the newer components are very difficult to work with without expensive equipment. While SM resistors, caps, and transistors in general are still doable, some of the finer pitch quad flat packs are a royal PITA, and BGAs are a 'don't even try'.
--
Wacky Races 2012!

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH
reply to daveinpoway

cowboyro and aurgathor hit the nail on the head.

It sucks, but it's true. Why buy local, when you can find the part online for cheap?

Also, I recall from my repair tech stint, some of the parts have connections under them. If you don't have the right equipment, you'll be lucky to get it seated correctly. Or you may burn the package up trying to get it hot enough to seat.

I drove past my local shack, and was recalling the days of going to one to buy batteries, and getting a free 5 cell flashlight.

Are their batteries any better then Duracell or energizer?
I know they sell a nice 3 volt purple battery. It's pricey, but it lasts for a long time.

When my kids were 5 years old, I purchased snap together electronic kits from Radio shock. The kids had fun building things with them.

If the robotic kits weren't so expensive, I'd try to get my kids into that.
--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.

cowboyro
Premium
join:2000-10-11
Shelton, CT

said by Snakeoil:

If the robotic kits weren't so expensive, I'd try to get my kids into that.

Expensive is relative...
»store.irobot.com/product/index.j···e=family

tschmidt
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
kudos:9
Reviews:
·G4 Communications
·Fairpoint Commun..
·Hollis Hosting
reply to cowboyro

said by cowboyro:

The reality is that it is impractical to keep many components in retail stores especially when they will almost never sell.

I agree. But it is too bad the Radio Shack in-store selection is so small. I have not been to a Radio Shack in years but in the days of yore it was nice being able to quickly get a passive or IC to finish a project.

/tom

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT
reply to daveinpoway

Most of the stuff in the electronics cabinets looks like it's been sitting for over 6 months, Sometimes you find stuff under the Archer brand.. It's good for getting something quick but 9 times out of 10 they never have the component I need which has me ordering online.

DrStrange
Technically feasible
Premium
join:2001-07-23
West Hartford, CT

1 recommendation

reply to daveinpoway

So, they've gone from:

"You've got questions, we've got answers"
to
"You've got questions, we've got cell phones"
to
"You've got questions, we've got blank stares"

and soon to:
"You've got questions, we've got nothing"

Warzau
Premium
join:2000-10-26
Naperville, IL

said by DrStrange:

So, they've gone from:

"You've got questions, we've got answers"
to
"You've got questions, we've got cell phones"
to
"You've got questions, we've got blank stares"

and soon to:
"You've got questions, we've got nothing"

more like " You've got questions, we've got overpriced batteries"

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT

1 recommendation

They always want to know if I want to buy any I say no thanks, I have enough enloops here that I'm more then happy to have.

capecoddah

join:2005-03-18
Yarmouth Port, MA
reply to daveinpoway

The Radio Shack Thread?
Yep, times change, people can't/don't repair things.

Last trip to the Shack (Feb) I got got some solder and 6 RCA jacks.
My 1970 Modulaire is the bedroom stereo now. Fixed the speakers 10 years ago, the 1983 Nokko amp went south so this is what I have. It works.

Go to Page 17

SparkChaser
Premium
join:2000-06-06
Downingtown, PA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to daveinpoway

I think our hobby/career is one of the few that can appreciate this change. I used to have Radio Shack, Lafayette, Heath kit and a dozen electronics supply stores in Philly.

Now, RS maybe.

tschmidt
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
kudos:9
Reviews:
·G4 Communications
·Fairpoint Commun..
·Hollis Hosting

1 edit

said by SparkChaser:

I used to have Radio Shack, Lafayette, Heath kit and a dozen electronics supply stores in Philly.

I grew up in Chicago to that list add Allied Electronics and Newark. Not to mention a nearby electronics surplus store, the name eludes me and of course numerous ham fests during the summer.

For really high class surplus there was always Fair Radio mail order.

Oh I almost forgot - Polypacks. Nothing like sorting our unmarked floor sweeping ICs.

/tom

TheMG
Premium
Canada
Reviews:
·NorthWest Tel
reply to capecoddah

said by capecoddah:

Yep, times change, people can't/don't repair things.

And fewer and fewer people build their own projects anymore.

Less and less people have an interest in electronics.

BK3

join:2001-04-10
Geneva, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T Yahoo
reply to daveinpoway

Back in the 70's and 80's I had Radio Shack, EDI electronics, Melvin Electronics, Lafayette and Heathkit all within a short drive. I got my components mostly at EDI, and wire / cable from RS. I built several Heathkits, some of which I still have.

I miss those days .......
--
Gun control is being able to hit your target.

TheMG
Premium
Canada
Reviews:
·NorthWest Tel

I remember even in the 90's in the city where I grew up, there was 4 electronics repair shops that also sold parts and kits for hobbyists.

Now, there is not a single shop left, they all went out of business. Nowhere to obtain any kind of parts locally except "The Source" which has a very limited selection (even their fuse selection is horrible). Sometimes you're in a pinch and need something fast, well, too bad.

Also this means anyone with an older (out of warranty) electronic device they want repaired, tough luck, gonna have to ship it out somewhere, or throw it in the trash and get something modern.

That's the dark side of the advancements in electronics technology. It has put many things out of the reach of the common hobbyist/DIYer, and has turned most consumer electronics into not-worth-repairing throw-away items.

LazMan
Premium
join:2003-03-26
canada
reply to TheMG

said by TheMG:

Here in Canada, most if not all Radio Shacks have been bought out by "The Source by Circuit City".

Without getting into the whole mess (and it became one...)

The Source (formerly known as Radio Shack) has been owned by Bell for a couple years now...

Long story short, InterTan operated the Radio Shack brand in Canada; they were bought out by Circuit City, who collapsed shortly after... Bell bought up the pieces; partly to boost their own distribution footprint, and more-so to take away one of Roger's largest retailers. (Before the Bell purchase, RadioShack/The Source was one of Rogers largest distributors)...

The also tried a couple of spin-off brandings - Genexxia (sp?) and THS Studios - to get away from the Radio Shack image - more consumer electrics and gadgets (Genexxia) and accessories/headphones (THS)
Expand your moderator at work