All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
jazzy0
join:2012-12-07

jazzy0

[Exede] meter is not moving

The meter was working last Friday now it stuck to 0.33 GB of 15 GB (2%). I wondering is anyone here having the same problem like I do with meter not moving at all.

wm4bama
join:2012-05-10
Goodwater, AL

wm4bama

I think they froze the usage meters again because so many customers are reporting the same problems they had before...in other words they have not made any changes...

Also, many customers report usage increases (and documented) during the LNFZ....all these are on the Wildblueworld.com forum.

One of the mods also hinted that the counter still rely on the modem counters to keep track of usage.

Since we have not received any new modem firmware (software) updates then I also agree that the meter problems have not been solved.

My own meter has not updated since 4/22...so I believe they have frozen them again to try another hack at fixing the problems.

Two choices...one is to convert all the byte counting to server-side software (the way our Legacy services were handled without problems), or to update our modems with firmware that fixes the problems...latest software version is 1.5.1.xx and has problems, including not working for AT&T Micro-Cell, so until we see modems update to 1.5.2.xxx do I think the problems will be solved..

So, stay tuned for meter fix 3.0...

We have maintained all along that the byte counters should be server-side and only count bytes that are actually sent from the servers to us or received by the servers from us...take the modem out of the loop..
wm4bama

wm4bama

My meter, on schedule, reset to zero at 7pm CDT on the 23rd and this morning it's back to counting...

So, looks like meters are not frozen, at least not for everyone.
RandyH3
join:2013-02-03
Decorah, IA

RandyH3 to jazzy0

to jazzy0
Mine has been frozen all week,reset last night to zero and still froze.
jazzy0

jazzy0 to wm4bama

to wm4bama
Mine still stuck to 2%. I'm gonna to wait until Tuesday see meter will move.

Abyss1992
Premium Member
join:2012-08-18
Spencer, WV

Abyss1992 to RandyH3

Premium Member

to RandyH3
mine has been frozen for 3 months
RandyH3
Decorah, IA

RandyH3 to jazzy0

to jazzy0
Meter moved yesterday and says I used over a Gig..WTF No way i surfed for maybe a hour and No videos.???

Why cant they fix this problem?
RandyH3

RandyH3 to wm4bama

to wm4bama
It would be nice if they could fix it,If not just shut the meter off it seems the system can handle it.
jazzy0

jazzy0

Randy, I agree with you if the meter can't be fix exede technical needs to let it go completely.
silbaco
Premium Member
join:2009-08-03
USA

silbaco to jazzy0

Premium Member

to jazzy0
If it can't be fixed, then Exede's employees need to be let go. There are meters out there that do work. No reason to keep screwing around after all this time.
RandyH3
Decorah, IA

RandyH3

Excede wont admit failure,they are making money and thats #1 on there list.The customers,well as long as we pay our bills that's all they seem to care.I would dump them if I didnt need a high speed connection,If they keep this up they are going to get a lawsuit thrown at them.
DrStrangLov
join:2012-03-28

DrStrangLov

said by RandyH3:

Excede wont admit failure

What is needed is an user portal that informs users about relevant info on their beam, if user's SB-2 equipment is failing, and if NOC is clamping down on modem's upload speed.

AT&T, for instance, has a network status site, in which user can click on tabs there and see the health of their network.

Having the byte meter at SB-2 modem is a good idea, but I suspect the issue is internal to this modem, as based upon users' comments.
RandyH3
Decorah, IA

RandyH3

You may be right,I wonder how many users of Excede even bother to keep track of there usage,pretty small amount I would bet.
So if everyone would take note and complain they might wake up.
jazzy0

jazzy0

The meter has been reset today it's still frozen to 0%.

wm4bama
join:2012-05-10
Goodwater, AL

wm4bama to jazzy0

to jazzy0
Since my meter reset to zero on the 23rd it's been rising, but at about 1/2 the rate it normally did in the past.

My "normal" accumulation of usage averaged about 100MB's/day in the past, except days of software updates. Now, it's rising at about 50MB's/day...or about 1/2 the normal rate of my usage.

On the Wildblue forum we have pushed for, and insisted, that our byte counts should be base on what is actually transmitted over the satellite, not what the modem sees after decompressing the AcceleNet compressed packets nor what the modem uses to maintain satellite lock and what's used for modem firmware (software) updates. We should get the benefit of AcceleNet compression, not WB/Exede use that technology to allow more customers to share the limited bandwidth.

And, that usage should all be counted at the server-side, not by our modems..

It's possible, and seems to fit my new accumulation pattern, that the AcceleNet compressed data bytes are now being counted server-side instead of the decompressed bytes from the modem..

Time will tell, but something has changed in the way usage is being counted on my account.
DrStrangLov
join:2012-03-28

DrStrangLov

said by wm4bama:

usage should all be counted at the server-side, not by our modems..

In high speed networks, packets will be dropped on the floor....packet dropping. Its the nature of the beast...
»www.cisco.com/en/US/prod ··· 14.shtml

Retransmissions could be an issue in byte counting...and adding additional equipment invokes Murphy's Law.

My meter is running, but at a skewed lower rate; I didn't reset it on time, so I don't know what amount of skewing is involved.
jazzy0

jazzy0

The meter is working now.

jazzy0

jazzy0

The meter was working fine last night now its frozen.

zeddlar
join:2007-04-09
Jay, OK

zeddlar to jazzy0

to jazzy0
Meter seems to be right on here, watched an on demand HD movie last night on dish which may or may not contribute to the usage depending on who you ask and with three separate computers using the internet off and on all day we used 1.1 GB according to the meter.