uniqs

Hall
MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH

Hall

MVM

UPS tracking (not a rant!)

I ordered a couple items from Amazon and both came from their Indianapolis warehouse. Earlier in the day, I rec'd a text telling me my order should be delivered today and out of curiosity, I looked at the tracking and saw this:

My first thought was, they'll update this and fill in movements later. As of today, almost 24 hours after delivery, it still shows the same (3) entries.

I can imagine that UPS has many semi-trailers in Amazon's docks but this looks like they have at least one trailer just for UPS' south Dayton center (two center in Dayton, one north, one south). Is that likely ? Even if that were the case, I'd still expect to see an arrival scan before it goes on the final delivery truck.

netboy34
Premium Member
join:2001-08-29
Kennesaw, GA

netboy34

Premium Member

Amazon has been doing some Ship-to-Hub stuff with their own semi's to save money. (UPS and FedEx charge to even just move a trailer from one dock to another) so they have an agreement that amazon can unload at the nearest hub to the customer and direct inject into the system. so if you are fed from that hub (vs. a sub station) that process is what you see above.

javaMan
The Dude abides.
MVM
join:2002-07-15
San Luis Obispo, CA

javaMan

MVM

Thanks for the information; that makes perfect sense. The same thing has happened to me and I was as bewildered as Hall See Profile.

Hall
MVM
Germantown, OH

Hall to netboy34

MVM

to netboy34
I can understand this "ship-to-hub" thing, but how did it get on the individual truck ? I can see Amazon's truck unloading everything into this hub, but then it goes on their small-scale sorting system and should have gotten scanned.
drslash (banned)
Goya Asma
join:2002-02-18
Marion, IA

drslash (banned)

It's just a guess but Amazon may have sorted it for direct load on to the UPS delivery van.
towerdave
join:2002-01-16
O Fallon, IL

towerdave to Hall

to Hall
Amazon is working towards being able to offer same day delivery. I'm guessing they have a pretty nice agreement with UPS to be able to make this happen, as well as building distribution sites near all major metro areas.

That's why they stopped fighting the internet sales tax stuff. They will have physical locations in almost every state anyways.

TD

swintec
Premium Member
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME

swintec

Premium Member

said by towerdave:

That's why they stopped fighting the internet sales tax stuff.

No, it means less competition for them once it passes.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd to Hall

Premium Member

to Hall
Unless the hub it went do is the one that services Dayton, In that case if its point of origin was at the building that the delivery truck is in the package may not ever get an arrival scan.

I bet I would see the same thing if I lived in the Meadowlands area here in NJ and ordered from Newegg.

Hall
MVM
Germantown, OH

Hall

MVM

said by Kearnstd:

In that case if its point of origin was at the building that the delivery truck is in the package may not ever get an arrival scan.

??

It came from Amazon's Indianapolis IN warehouse.
kherr
Premium Member
join:2000-09-04
Collinsville, IL

kherr to Hall

Premium Member

to Hall
There's many good things I could say about UPS and one of them is that they NEVER missed a delivery date. There was one time I had wrote it off and went to bed, but at about 9PM ...... there's the honk and knock on the door. And it wasn't even during Christmas season. I have always had excellent delivery people.

chip89
Premium Member
join:2012-07-05
Columbia Station, OH

chip89 to Hall

Premium Member

to Hall
At lest you got tracking I ordered two things one's shipping on ups and it has no tracking and the other one does though but it's being shipped on USPS.