uniqs
share rss forum feed

pinhead3641

join:2004-05-24
Placentia, CA
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

[TWC] TWC Service, Could It Be Worse?

Long-time TWC customer, since they bought out Adelphia in my area.

Last year I actually got some good service from them when I called them and said "give me the speed I'm paying for or I'm a new AT&T customer." They sent a tech in response who replaced my nonleased Docsis 1.0 modem with a "free" TWC Docsis 2.0 modem, and suddenly, we get speeds like this:

So I got tired of paying $4/month for the leased modem and decided to go with a SB6141. It was apportioned and this is what I got:

After a couple of hours chatting with their techs-- worse than useless in this respect, sorry to say-- I'm back to the leased modem. My blood pressure is probably up by 50 points, and I'm wondering if there is anything I can do to make the SB6141 work before I RMA it.

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
kudos:16
Post some signal levels from »192.168.100.1

It may be a signal problem, which is nothing phone support can fix.

pinhead3641

Placentia, CA
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
I took the SB6141 off and had them reapportion my old modem, but here's what the old modem is saying:

Name

CISCO DPC2100R2

Hardware Version

Software Version

dpc2100rx-v202r1256-110531Uas-TWC
Receive Power Level

9.1 dBmV
Signal to Noise Ratio

40.3 dBmV
Transmit Power Level

41.3 dBmV
Cable Modem Status

Operational

The old modem has my speeds back where they were:

signmastr

join:2004-06-21
Fallbrook, CA
The old modem is allowing "Turbo" speeds. The 6141 is not, but should prove to be more stable...

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
SoCal
That brings up a good point I missed. Powerboost. You're tier is 15/2 isn't it?

Matt7

join:2001-01-02
Columbus, OH
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Insight Communic..
reply to pinhead3641

I think your speeds are fine..

What tier are you on standard 15/2?

The difference between your leased modem and the purchase is one is a D2 (leased) and yours is a D3.. D3 does not have power boost enabled on it (which allows a temp speed increase for the start of a download).

pinhead3641

Placentia, CA
reply to DrDrew
According to my billing statement, we have "Standard Internet Online ($52.99)" with "Turbo Pass Internet ($10)". Not sure what that translates to in terms of a tier.

jpatton1979

join:2011-08-10
Lexington, KY
I thought Standard was 15/1 and Turbo (which is what the OP appears to have) is 20/2?

If that's the case the SB6141 *should* be closer to 20Mbps than 15Mbps.

Motosux

@rcn.com
reply to pinhead3641
6141 sucks even on other providers

»[Connectivity] SB6141 errors in logs. sw upgrade-Astoria, NY

U should've bought a dpc2100r2 for $18 online

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
SoCal
said by Motosux :

6141 sucks even on other providers

»[Connectivity] SB6141 errors in logs. sw upgrade-Astoria, NY

U should've bought a dpc2100r2 for $18 online

The errors in the linked, posted log look like they're from the modem not able to download the update file because of something the cable provider setup wrong. Not because of a problem with the modem.
--
Two is one, one is none. If it's important, have a back up... 99.999% availability just isn't enough sometimes.

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
SoCal
reply to jpatton1979
said by jpatton1979:

I thought Standard was 15/1 and Turbo (which is what the OP appears to have) is 20/2?

If that's the case the SB6141 *should* be closer to 20Mbps than 15Mbps.

The tier of service depends on the area and if the OP is on some sort of grandfathered package as far as I know. Large parts of SoCal had 10/1 as Standard and 15/2 as Turbo up until a few months ago.
--
Two is one, one is none. If it's important, have a back up... 99.999% availability just isn't enough sometimes.

swintec
Premium,VIP
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VoicePulse
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·RapidVPS
reply to pinhead3641
DOCSIS 3 modems like the 6141 do not allow for powerboost like you were seeing with the older modem. Powerboost is really only good for the first 30 seconds or so of a download so you arent really missing much and you should get more consistent speeds with the 6141. Wit that said, the 6141 is doing what it is supposed to do and running fine.

Looks like you may be on an older speed tier though.
--
Usenet Block Accounts | Unlimited Accounts

pinhead3641

Placentia, CA
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to DrDrew
"The tier of service depends on the area and if the OP is on some sort of grandfathered package as far as I know."

Yeah, it looks like they have renamed all their plans. Around 14 months ago I believe our plan was still openly described on their Web site. In the intervening months, it seems they have started offering new plans and I can no longer find the particulars of my plan described on their Web site. The techs also said, in effect, "you're on an old plan."

Additionally, the one tech suggested, in effect, that the rates on their Web site are teaser rates for new customers only. I searched but could not find clear, explicit descriptions of their various plans with the true (non-teaser) rates.

pinhead3641

Placentia, CA
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

1 edit
reply to swintec
Is there some kind of an app I can run in the Mac OS or Windows 7 which yields real-time connection speed data?

I'm still sitting on the fence in re: RMAing the 6141. On one hand, the return will cost me (restocking fee), and on the other hand, we make heavy use of our connection for phone, TV and Internet use, so it seems to me a case can be made for going with the 6141 over the long haul. I'm wondering what the chances are that a future firmware update will boost the speed. Plus I hate to admit I was dumb to buy it.

»updates.lifehacker.com/post/3477···ch-those

»thewirecutter.com/reviews/the-be···-sb6141/

skuv

@rr.com
reply to pinhead3641
Your DOCSIS 2.0 modem was capable of the PowerBoost service that TWC offers and your speedtest is getting the 10 seconds or so of PowerBoost, so you see those speeds. Overall, you're only getting 15mbit on long downloads.

The DOCSIS 3.0 modem you purchased is not capable of PowerBoost because it connects to all 4 or 8 channels that TWC provides. PowerBoost had an unfortunate side effect of going fullspeed on each channel, giving end users outrageous speeds that were not intended. They could only correct it by not offering PowerBoost with DOCSIS 3.0 modems, as they expect people with D3 to be using a 30mbit or 50mbit or higher speed tier.

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
SoCal
reply to pinhead3641
said by pinhead3641:

I'm wondering what the chances are that a future firmware update will boost the speed.

You're getting the 15/2 speeds you're probably paying for. A firmware update won't change that.

DOCSIS 3 modems COULD be configured with PowerBoost (Comcast used to do it), but TWC doesn't do that. Most cable ISPs are getting away from using PowerBoost these days.
--

pinhead3641

Placentia, CA

2 edits
Deleted/Update below.

pinhead3641

Placentia, CA
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
I finally broke down and called them. Three different times. I stand by my post title, because I have literally spent at least six hours over the past few days getting to the bottom of this.

Nutshell version, for future searchers: I finally figured this out. I'm posting this edit via the SB6141. Victory at last?

Longer version: In SoCal, the $52.99/month "Standard" Internet is currently supposed to deliver 15 Mbps down (as of 4/2013). They price additional speed at $2/Mbps/month. So in other words, the extra $10/month we pay them is supposed to get us another 5 Mbps down. When I log into their Web site, it says that my plan is 20 Mbps down. But wait... there's more. The tech that I spoke with today told me there is supposedly a difference between "Turbo Internet" and "Turbo Pass." Turbo Internet supposedly works with DOCSIS 3 modems, whereas Turbo Pass does not. My account was configured for Turbo Pass, which the tech claimed was only good for another 1 Mbps up, and nothing on the down side (???). I never selected any of this, nor did any of the many TWC people I talked with and chatted with before today explain this.

Anyway, long story short, today's tech reconfigured my account to Turbo Internet instead of Turbo Pass, so now I'm getting around 20 Mbps down with the SB6141, which is what I am paying for.

What leaves me scratching my head here, and totally vindicates my original post title, is why I had to interact with seven or eight different TWC employees to get to the bottom of this. There's got to be some smart, decent folks working at TWC; is it my bad luck that 6 or 7 of the employees that I interacted with were totally unable/uninterested in actually helping solve the problem? Or, does TWC go out of their way to hire a certain percentage of total morons? I work with the public every day, and I have seen some dumb folks over the years. But this experience with TWC leaves me speechless.

I appreciate all your responses here on the forum. They've been very helpful, and I never would have gotten this sorted out were it not for your collective wisdom.
Expand your moderator at work

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
SoCal
reply to pinhead3641

Re: [TWC] TWC Service, Could It Be Worse?

The tiers are an ugly mix of standard choices, grandfathered tiers still hanging around, pre configured package options, promos, and add on extras. If I remember the csr screens correctly from when I saw them a few years ago they don't show the speeds, only the names. To figure out what named tier is what speed for a particular area you need to cross reference some other screens and sites or apply it to the modem and then look up what the modem got provisioned with.

The people aren't morons, the system the work with is archaic.
--

Matt7

join:2001-01-02
Columbus, OH
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Insight Communic..
said by DrDrew:

The tiers are an ugly mix of standard choices, grandfathered tiers still hanging around, pre configured package options, promos, and add on extras. If I remember the csr screens correctly from when I saw them a few years ago they don't show the speeds, only the names. To figure out what named tier is what speed for a particular area you need to cross reference some other screens and sites or apply it to the modem and then look up what the modem got provisioned with.

The people aren't morons, the system the work with is archaic.

The ICOMS system that TW and most other cable providers use.. Your totally correct.. With grandfathered tiers, and such it's very easily for the wrong code to be put on an account and unless someone catches it while tryin to keep their "average call handle time" within company metric.. mistakes like this can happen.

You say ? why keep around grandfathered codes... well that goes to the whole billing side of things.. when Time Warner and others upgrade or change tier structures.. those who have been paying less for the same named tier get kept at the grandfathered rate/tier and new customers get the new code/higher pricing... the way the system works is they must keep those codes around to ensure the customers are charged the right price (as the code dictates what the system charges).