comp
Premium Member
join:2001-08-16
Evans City, PA
·Armstrong

comp

Premium Member

Thoughts on a Grill

In the market for a new grill. Would like at least 3-4 burners.

Only looking to spend 300 max right now. I understand that is not going to get me something that will last for a decade but all I can afford right now.

Walmart has a Char Broil Infrared for 250 I am leaning towards.. wanted some other opinions

alkizmo
join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo

»www.homedepot.com/p/broi ··· skcpuV_Q

Cheap & reliable. It's a steady model they made for years.
I bought one last spring, it does just fine and since it's so cheap in $$$, I don't mind not taking good care of it.

4.5/5 with 81 votes, that has to count for something.

I know you wanted 3-4 burners, but really in the 300$ price range and multiple burners, you're just asking for problems with uneven grilling.
Moffetts
join:2005-05-09
San Mateo, CA

1 recommendation

Moffetts to comp

to comp
I haven't used a Broilmate or a Charbroil, but I've learned that if it's not a Weber, it's probably not worth buying. Whatever you buy now will probably work great for a year or so, but after that it will be a downhill slide.

alkizmo
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo

said by Moffetts:

I haven't used a Broilmate or a Charbroil, but I've learned that if it's not a Weber, it's probably not worth buying. Whatever you buy now will probably work great for a year or so, but after that it will be a downhill slide.

I learned the same when I made a thread asking for recommendations last year.

However the starting price was steep for a weber and I had no clue how much I'd like grilling and what features I'd want.
I made a good call starting cheap because when that grill dies, I will know what I want and invest in that.

LazMan
Premium Member
join:2003-03-26
Beverly Hills, CA

LazMan to comp

Premium Member

to comp
When I was in the market last year, I was steered away from the Infrared grills by several people... I liked the idea, but was told the infrared plates aren't very durable.

I'm on my second Broil King Imperial - First one lasted over 13 years, second one is not quite a year old yet. They are pricey, but are very well made...

»www.homedepot.com/p/broi ··· wVbXvuSo

Broil-Mate is the down-level brand from Broil King's parent company; and share a lot of the same features... It's a worth looking at, IMO...

dennismurphy
Put me on hold? I'll put YOU on hold
Premium Member
join:2002-11-19
Parsippany, NJ

dennismurphy to Moffetts

Premium Member

to Moffetts
said by Moffetts:

I've had Sunbeams, Charmglows, Char-Broils, Kenmores, and some other crappy grills... all of them taught me "BUY A WEBER!"

When the Charmglow started shooting flames out the burner valve controls, I knew it was time.

Bamafan2277
Premium Member
join:2008-09-20
Jeffersonville, IN

Bamafan2277 to comp

Premium Member

to comp
Spend a little extra and get a Infared grill. It makes a amazing difference from a regular gas grill.

I used to burn steaks and have dry burgers on a regular grill. Since I bought a Infared grill my steaks are perfect med. and burgers are juicy!!!

smithfly114
Premium Member
join:2008-01-14

smithfly114 to comp

Premium Member

to comp
Dont buy one with porcelain coated grills.
They are a pain in the ass, the porcelain starts coming off and then the grills rust and fall apart.
KirkyInCT
join:2008-11-04
Higganum, CT

KirkyInCT to comp

to comp
Still using a Weber that was an hand me down and we've had it about 10 years now...

I won't buy anything but a Weber

John97
Over The Hills And Far Away
Premium Member
join:2000-11-14
Spring Hill, FL

John97 to comp

Premium Member

to comp
I'm in the same position. After a couple decades of using crappy to mediocre grills, I decided I am going to hold out for a Weber Genesis. In the meantime, my wife scored a nice grill for $35 at a yard sale that will get me through this year until I have the cash to buy the Weber.
gordom
join:2006-06-14
Bakersfield, CA

gordom to comp

to comp
bought a new house a few months ago that put me in the market for a new grill. i to was finding the price of a weber a bit much. ended up settling on a weber e-310 anyway. helped some that i think i use the grill more then the stove.

i do not recall who made what but i noticed some of the grills didnt seem very well thought out. one had a fine mesh under the grills that looked like it'll catch every crumb that happens to fall off what your cooking causing you to have to clean it after every use to keep those holes open and heat passing through. another one had a bowl under the grill that i'm guessing is suppose to heat up and radiate the heat back evenly. all i saw was a grease catcher that will flame up.

one thing that might help with the price some is when i did the change of address at the post office, there was a 10% off coupon for lowes tucked in with the forms.

Msradell
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY

Msradell to comp

Premium Member

to comp
"Charcoal" that's all you need to know!

mityfowl
Premium Member
join:2000-11-06
Dallas, TX

mityfowl to comp

Premium Member

to comp
5 year warranty on the burners is hard to beat for $200.

Duramax08
To The Moon
Premium Member
join:2008-08-03
San Antonio, TX

Duramax08 to John97

Premium Member

to John97
Whats so great about these webber grills? We saw a little one at the store the other day and it was pretty pricey.

Postal8
First pull up, then pull down.
Premium Member
join:2000-08-30
Simi Valley, CA

Postal8 to comp

Premium Member

to comp
I can't use charcoal where I live, so I shelled out the dough for a Weber Spirit E-210 2 burner grill a couple of months ago ($400).

The build quality and materials are top-notch, but it just doesn't seem to get hot enough (26500 total BTU). It will cook things, but it doesn't seem to really grill things.

Everybody around me has a gas grill and whenever they're grilling I can smell that delicious 'grilling aroma', but I never get that while I'm grilling. I assume because it isn't getting hot enough.

Then again, I can't cook worth a shit, so maybe it's something I'm doing....

Tex
Dave's not here
Premium Member
join:2012-10-20

Tex to comp

Premium Member

to comp
»First BBQ purchase - Help a meat-eating-man out

brhalltx
Premium Member
join:2002-12-09
Cypress, TX

1 recommendation

brhalltx to dennismurphy

Premium Member

to dennismurphy
said by dennismurphy:

I've had Sunbeams, Charmglows, Char-Broils, Kenmores, and some other crappy grills... all of them taught me "BUY A WEBER!"

Amen.

Char-Broil was decent 15 years ago. It's junk now.

Jon5
Premium Member
join:2001-01-20
Lisle, IL

Jon5 to Msradell

Premium Member

to Msradell
said by Msradell:

"Charcoal" that's all you need to know!

That right there.

Bruschi
Premium Member
join:2001-04-16
Cape Cod

Bruschi to comp

Premium Member

to comp
»www.kenmore.com/kenmore- ··· kType=G1 here is a 4 burner stainless for under 300 with pretty solid reviews.

alkizmo
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo to Tex

to Tex
Ya basically that link, first reply.... if you know what you want. My problem is that I didn't know what I want.

Now I know a basic weber would have sufficed. So when the cheapo broil-mate kicks it, I won't hesitate to dish out the $$$ on a nice basic weber, nor feel sorry to have spent 200$ on a cheapo broil-mate: I got to massacre it to learn how to care for a grill.

dennismurphy
Put me on hold? I'll put YOU on hold
Premium Member
join:2002-11-19
Parsippany, NJ

dennismurphy to KirkyInCT

Premium Member

to KirkyInCT
said by KirkyInCT:

Still using a Weber that was an hand me down and we've had it about 10 years now...

My Weber Genesis E-320 is sitting proudly on my deck.

When we moved in here almost 2 years ago, the previous owner left me his Weber. (He was downsizing to a townhouse.)

It's a 1992 Weber Genesis 1000 (NG). I disconnected it, swapped the burner orifices with my (propane) E-320, connected a propane regulator, and gave it to my brother in law. He brought it home, replaced the wood side tables (20 years of sitting in the elements have taken their toll on the wood), and gave it a good cleaning.

It's running like a top. 21 years old, and cooks better than the 2-year-old Brinkmann he had (and threw out in favor of the Weber!)

... and in the process, my E-320 got converted to NG and is also running like a top.

So yeah, THAT'S why I have a Weber.
TheSMJ
join:2009-08-19
Farmington, MI

TheSMJ to comp

to comp
Lots of Weber grills on Craigslist in my area. One guy wanted $450 for a Weber Genesis. I would have gone for it but when I emailed him, he told me a guy was coming to take a look at it within an hour. I told him that I'd never be able to beat him there (I was 45 minutes away and had another 30 minutes of work ahead of me) but asked that he let me know if it was still available later on. I'm not holding my breath, but one can dream.

Anyways, there are quite a few other Webers going for $150. Not as nice as the Genesis, but they're better than what I have now, which is jack squat.
jp16
join:2010-05-04
united state

jp16 to Jon5

to Jon5
+3

I couldn't do gas. I think my grandpa would come back to like and dope slap me...

I have a Weber Kettle. It is almost 10 years old. I should replace the charcoal grate but other than that its tip top.

Also if you get the chance, get to the Weber Grill in Chicago. Everything is cooked on Weber charcoal grills... Good stuff.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
·Comcast XFINITY

IowaCowboy to comp

Premium Member

to comp
I just bought a Weber Spirit 210 last year. My mother got approved for a Home Depot credit card so we paid it off over time. I am very glad I made that investment as it makes restaurant quality food. The cheap trash Kenmore (Char-broil) that would not stay lit and was notorious for uneven heat and burnt food met its fate at R&R industries (scrap metal recycler here in town) after 3 years.

That Weber is well built and I've got a feeling this thing is going to last a while. Spend the extra money for a Weber, you'll be glad you did.

Beezel
join:2008-12-15
Las Vegas, NV

Beezel to Postal8

to Postal8
said by Postal8:

I can't use charcoal where I live, so I shelled out the dough for a Weber Spirit E-210 2 burner grill a couple of months ago ($400).

The build quality and materials are top-notch, but it just doesn't seem to get hot enough (26500 total BTU). It will cook things, but it doesn't seem to really grill things.

Everybody around me has a gas grill and whenever they're grilling I can smell that delicious 'grilling aroma', but I never get that while I'm grilling. I assume because it isn't getting hot enough.

Then again, I can't cook worth a shit, so maybe it's something I'm doing....

Only clean the splash shields and the drip tray every few years. Let the grease and stuff build up (flare ups are your flavor friend). You will get the aroma and flavor just like a charcoal grill. I clean mine like that and everyone doesn't believe me when I say it was cooked on a Weber Genesis E-330
Critsmcgee
join:2011-12-02

1 recommendation

Critsmcgee to Duramax08

to Duramax08
said by Duramax08:

Whats so great about these webber grills? We saw a little one at the store the other day and it was pretty pricey.

I use the Weber Q for everything. I cook for 4-6 people 2-3 times a week on it. It might be little but it's big enough for anything people need. Being small allows me to put it in the car and go to the park or a football game with it. I'd never buy another full size grill again after owning a Weber Q. I even use a smoker box with it.

OP: If you have $300 to spend you can get a Weber Q with a stand, propane tank/hose, grill cover, extra drip trays, and even a smoker box for that kind of money.
itguy05
join:2005-06-17
Carlisle, PA

itguy05 to Duramax08

to Duramax08
said by Duramax08:

That's what I'm trying to figure out. We use our grill a lot, summer, winter, whatever. Yes, I've cooked on a Weber (friends have them) and they are nice. If I were in the market I'd probably look at them but there are also other options out there that are just as good.

But our last grill, a Blue Ember lasted 4 years and was working fine when we left it for the people that bought our house. That included it getting tossed into the neighbor's yard during a nasty wind storm.

At our new house, we have a natural gas BroilMaster that I think is 5-6 years old and it works great. I think I may need to clean the burners this year buy other than that it's been a fine grill.

Then again I tend to take care of my stuff - clean the burners as needed, pressure wash it every year or 2, etc. I think if you buy mid level and take care of it anything will be fine and last a while.
comp
Premium Member
join:2001-08-16
Evans City, PA
·Armstrong

comp

Premium Member

Wow this took off faster that I thought... I do like the Webers but the initial starting price is too high right now... Maybe next year or the year after. I guess in that case I could swing for the char broil infrared till it craps then upgrade... At least with the char broil i can get replacement parts very easily.

I had an Amana grill from Target i got 5 years ago that last 5 years and crapped out at the end of last summer
Spensergig
Past my Prime
MVM
join:2000-03-26
Bradenton, FL

Spensergig to Duramax08

MVM

to Duramax08
said by Duramax08:

I bought mine new from HD in June 1996.
Had to replace the hose and regulator in April 2002 - OPD tanks came in.
Replaced a cracked cast iron grate in July 2003,
replaced some wooden parts around 2011, and
replaced the flavorizer bars and the drip pan holder and catch pan in July 2012. Total cost of replacements, about $250.

The burners are original, as is the igniter. It still starts on the first push, every time.

In the same time, my kids have each replaced their non-webers 3-4 times. Does that explain it? Pay me now, or pay me (more) later.

--------------------------------------------
Edit: In all fairness... I tried to brew coffee using my camping percolator when we had a power outage. Weber grills are designed to be used with the top closed. I could not get the water to boil and perc. Went to McDonalds instead.
spock1104
join:2005-08-06

1 edit

spock1104 to comp

to comp
You might also consider getting a Ducane, they're built and supported by Weber (just produced in China). I got an Affinity 4200 last year and love it. It got use all last year, and I just took the cover off of it yesterday after winter to do some steaks and it held up well despite me not getting a chance to clean it out before the snow. Had some mold and rust spots on the grill, but I wiped it down with vinegar, put the heat on full blast, and went after it with the wire brush, and it looked like new again.

Heat is fairly even and it doesn't have difficulty grilling if you load the entire surface with meats (a cheapo grill I had before doubled its cook time when full of burgers). I actually burned myself slightly trying to pepper the steaks, with all the burners going it gets to 600 degrees.

Lowes has them for 329 right now. »www.lowes.com/pd_98004-5 ··· 94857754

Edit: Looks like they're not selling it right now. Maybe someone else carries them, or the 3 burner 3100.