uniqs
dogo88
join:2001-09-24
Old Bridge, NJ

dogo88 to comp

to comp

Re: Thoughts on a Grill

One word Weber.

My first was used for over 30 years and only replaced it a couple of years ago because a new one had a better warranty then replacing the individual parts, and was less money.

They may be a bit more money but will make it up over the years. Parts are always available from Weber. It's a solid, well built, great cooking unit that continually gets top ratings.

For $499 you can get a Spirit that has 3 burners and a 10 year warranty on the burners.

As someone that went through 3 or 4 Charmglows in the early years (because they were cheap) my move to Weber was the best decision I made on grilling.

Dan

Postal8
First pull up, then pull down.
Premium Member
join:2000-08-30
Simi Valley, CA

Postal8 to Beezel

Premium Member

to Beezel
said by Beezel:

said by Postal8:

I can't use charcoal where I live, so I shelled out the dough for a Weber Spirit E-210 2 burner grill a couple of months ago ($400).

The build quality and materials are top-notch, but it just doesn't seem to get hot enough (26500 total BTU). It will cook things, but it doesn't seem to really grill things.

Everybody around me has a gas grill and whenever they're grilling I can smell that delicious 'grilling aroma', but I never get that while I'm grilling. I assume because it isn't getting hot enough.

Then again, I can't cook worth a shit, so maybe it's something I'm doing....

Only clean the splash shields and the drip tray every few years. Let the grease and stuff build up (flare ups are your flavor friend). You will get the aroma and flavor just like a charcoal grill. I clean mine like that and everyone doesn't believe me when I say it was cooked on a Weber Genesis E-330

Someone else told me this right after I bought it, so I haven't cleaned it yet.

BUT...

Now when I cook on it with the lid down it starts pouring out a nasty smelling white smoke which pisses off my neighbors. Researching the cause of this, all I come up with is that the grease inside is causing this and it should be cleaned.

Not sure what to do at this point.

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
join:2007-11-26
North, VA

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

said by Postal8:

Now when I cook on it with the lid down it starts pouring out a nasty smelling white smoke which pisses off my neighbors. Researching the cause of this, all I come up with is that the grease inside is causing this and it should be cleaned.

This is what grills do when grilling. The fat drops down and produces flames and smoke. It doesn't matter if you clean it or not as the fat burns and there's nothing left but carbon waste.

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
·Metronet

CylonRed to jp16

MVM

to jp16
said by jp16:

+3

I couldn't do gas. I think my grandpa would come back to like and dope slap me...

I have a Weber Kettle. It is almost 10 years old. I should replace the charcoal grate but other than that its tip top.

Also if you get the chance, get to the Weber Grill in Chicago. Everything is cooked on Weber charcoal grills... Good stuff.

Same here - total charcoal snob as is most of my family. I only wish I could get a cast iron cooking grill. My charcoal tray needs replaced as well - it is bent but I figure that is from me burning wood in it for a bit (yard cleanup)

Weber Grill is awesome - the burners to light the grills to the almost plasma like flames in the grill.

cableties
Premium Member
join:2005-01-27

cableties to KirkyInCT

Premium Member

to KirkyInCT
said by KirkyInCT:

Still using a Weber that was an hand me down and we've had it about 10 years now...

I won't buy anything but a Weber

+1

PSWired
join:2006-03-26
Annapolis, MD

PSWired to comp

to comp
Another weber vote. I have a 3-burner genesis? that's almost 20 years old now and still works great. The flavorizer bars and grates have been replaced a few times, and maybe the burners too, but it still works perfectly.

My only complaint is the new excess flow valves on propane tanks trip every time I turn the gas on, unless the valve is opened really slowly.

kontos
xyzzy
join:2001-10-04
West Henrietta, NY

kontos to Moffetts

to Moffetts
said by Moffetts:

Whatever you buy now will probably work great for a year or so, but after that it will be a downhill slide.

Keeping a Weber running good for 15 years is not going happen without some maintenance costs, and with the price difference in the cheap stuff, you could end up saving money by getting a new cheap-o every 2-3 years.

I bought a Brinkman from an Aldi store in 2007, and the down hill slide didn't start until last year. I'll be getting rid of it soon.

Msradell
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY

Msradell to spock1104

Premium Member

to spock1104
said by spock1104:

You might also consider getting a Ducane, they're built and supported by Weber (just produced in China)

Ducane used to be a really good grill when they were independently owned and produced in South Carolina. Now that they are owned by Weber and produced in China, they are no better than any of the other junk brands!

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
North, VA

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

said by Msradell:

said by spock1104:

You might also consider getting a Ducane, they're built and supported by Weber (just produced in China)

Ducane used to be a really good grill when they were independently owned and produced in South Carolina. Now that they are owned by Weber and produced in China, they are no better than any of the other junk brands!

quote:
Weber® charcoal and Weber® Q® grills are manufactured in Huntley, IL, and our Genesis® and Summit® Series gas grills are made in Palatine, IL, using the highest quality components from around the globe.
That says it all.

Source: »www.weber.com/explore/gr ··· s-ep-310

Camelot One
MVM
join:2001-11-21
Bloomington, IN

Camelot One to comp

MVM

to comp
said by comp:

I guess in that case I could swing for the char broil infrared till it craps then upgrade... At least with the char broil i can get replacement parts very easily.

I bought the CharBroil Commercial 2 burner infrared from Lowes several years ago. (the versions sold by Lowes, Home Depot, and Target are all different) It was a great grill, and is still in use by my brother-in-law. Heats up fast, cooks really well, and replacement parts are dirt cheap. I upgraded to the larger 3 burner version, which sucked so bad I gave it away. So it isn't just about the brand, but also the model.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy to Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

to Jack_in_VA
said by Jack_in_VA:

said by Msradell:

said by spock1104:

quote:
Weber® charcoal and Weber® Q® grills are manufactured in Huntley, IL, and our Genesis® and Summit® Series gas grills are made in Palatine, IL, using the highest quality components from around the globe.
That says it all.

Source: »www.weber.com/explore/gr ··· s-ep-310

My Weber Spirit 210 is made in China. My budget won't allow me to buy a Genesis (even though I'd like one). The Spirit is still high quality, and I bought it at Home Depot so they threw in the heavy duty grill grates.

Beezel
join:2008-12-15
Las Vegas, NV

1 edit

Beezel to Postal8

to Postal8
said by Postal8:

said by Beezel:

said by Postal8:

I can't use charcoal where I live, so I shelled out the dough for a Weber Spirit E-210 2 burner grill a couple of months ago ($400).

The build quality and materials are top-notch, but it just doesn't seem to get hot enough (26500 total BTU). It will cook things, but it doesn't seem to really grill things.

Everybody around me has a gas grill and whenever they're grilling I can smell that delicious 'grilling aroma', but I never get that while I'm grilling. I assume because it isn't getting hot enough.

Then again, I can't cook worth a shit, so maybe it's something I'm doing....

Only clean the splash shields and the drip tray every few years. Let the grease and stuff build up (flare ups are your flavor friend). You will get the aroma and flavor just like a charcoal grill. I clean mine like that and everyone doesn't believe me when I say it was cooked on a Weber Genesis E-330

Someone else told me this right after I bought it, so I haven't cleaned it yet.

BUT...

Don't worry about the neighbors, a charcoal grill will do the same. Smell and smoke comes with the good grilling territory. You want it to smoke that is what will give it the best flavor. That is why most people say gas grills make bland tasting food compared to charcoal. If it is clean you are only cooking with heat, just like broiling. Grease smoke gives it that nice char flavor, and then you can use wood chips also for other flavors.

When first staring with a clean grill it will take a few times for it to get up to producing good flavor since there isn't any grease and fat built up burning and making smoke.

A secret to the cast iron grates is to season them like a cast iron pan. Rub them with cooking oil before lighting and after cooking (let it cool a bit first, lightly scrape off stuck-on debris, and use tongs or similar to hold the oil coated paper towel so you don't get burned). They will eventually become seasoned and be non-stick.

With experience and a good grill you can cook, bake, and make just about any thing you can with a oven or stove.

Oh, about it not getting hot enough are you letting it preheat with the lid down. It takes about 10 minutes or so for some grills to get the grates really hot. Mine can get up to 550 degrees F in about only 5 min. But I have a bigger three burner Weber.

cableties
Premium Member
join:2005-01-27

cableties to comp

Premium Member

to comp
One last thought: Weber vs others
I had an issue a year into ownership. I called them up, on the weekend, and got a REAL person (in US). She was very polite and sent a part out to me (burner tube set).
I had a failure of the burners (three tubes) and they not only sent them out free, but she called me back to verify I am satisfied.
Also told me that it wasn't good idea to keep grilled covered as it trapped moisture and cause failure of the "stainless" tubes.
I know clean it before winter. And inspect before spring use.
I've had mine since 2000 (Genesis 1000) and I've replaced only the burner tubes, and regulator (for using newer Rhino tanks).
I have the cast iron (they may be next part to replace as they got OVER seasoned and catch fire underneath...should clean them but never do...mmmmmm fire...)

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
join:2005-03-14
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski to comp

Premium Member

to comp
I will jump on this train as well. I grill year round here in CT. Rain, snow, etc, nothing beats a steak done on the grill. When I first bought the house I got a Charbroil, decent model, around $350. End of summer it was already falling apart. Burner issues, cold spots, even had times there would be flare ups behind the control panel. I noticed that when one of the knobs melted off! Hinges broke, all types of nastiness. Bought a Weber Genesis, going on my third summer with it. The build material on them is fantastic, cooks evenly and gets nice and hot to make great grill cross marks on the meat. I use a salt plate on it as well and it gets piping hot. Even the Weber grill cover is excellent quality. Typical you buy a cover and here in New England during the winter they typically will crack and fall apart when it gets real cold. Not this cover.

While they are pricey, it evens out having to buy a cheaper grill every few years. If I were you I would buy a small charcoal grill and save the pennies to get a Weber. If you grill as much as I do you won't go wrong.
tomupnorth
join:2005-01-14
UpperMidwest

tomupnorth to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy
said by IowaCowboy:

My Weber Spirit 210 is made in China.

I didn't know that and am disappointed but then again what ISN'T made in China these days... We have a Weber (Junior, long-LONG discontinued) from around 1990 and it's truly on its last legs (!). So I like Weber as much or more than the next guy but for $400 the Spirit seems sorta gimmicky to me; I guess I just don't like the way it looks.

I was at Lowes the other day looking at the Spirit, and a SS Kitchen Aid for $349, and the Master Forge for $199. Of these 3 appearance-wise the Spirit is dead last IMO. Leaning toward the KitchenAid but for $200 it's hard to resist the MF, which is painted black and probably easier to keep looking nice than the KA.

brhalltx
Premium Member
join:2002-12-09
Cypress, TX

brhalltx

Premium Member

said by tomupnorth:

for $200 it's hard to resist the MF, which is painted black and probably easier to keep looking nice than the KA.

Until the paint burns off...
dogo88
join:2001-09-24
Old Bridge, NJ

dogo88 to comp

to comp
In my prior post I said Weber hands down and still believe it. But if cost is a limiting factor check out craigslist. I picked up a great condition older model from there for my dad a few years ago for about $150.

Just another option.

Dan

weberman
@bellsouth.net

weberman to Beezel

Anon

to Beezel
try using the weber with cast iron grates makes all the difference

grillme
@apexcovantage.com

grillme to comp

Anon

to comp
said by comp:

Wow this took off faster that I thought... I do like the Webers but the initial starting price is too high right now... Maybe next year or the year after. I guess in that case I could swing for the char broil infrared till it craps then upgrade... At least with the char broil i can get replacement parts very easily.

I'm also going to say weber or broil king. Between them they're both made in north america with quality parts and if you need help you can talk to someone local. The starting price is high but look at it another way: You spend $700 on one now that should last 20+ years, parts are always available and most of the stuff is covered under the longest warranties of any grill. Or you spend $350 every 2-5 years on no name junk that will fall apart and maybe have parts. Home depot and lowe's are always doing 10% off and interest free financing on grills throughout the summer as well which can ease the pain.

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
North, VA

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

said by grillme :

I'm also going to say weber or broil king. Between them they're both made in north america with quality parts and if you need help you can talk to someone local.

That says it all. Just because they might be assembled here doesn't mean that the parts used are made here.
67845017 (banned)
join:2000-12-17
Naperville, IL

1 recommendation

67845017 (banned)

I agree. Until they are all required to post content % like the auto makers do, simply Made in America doesn't necessarily translate into quality. That being said, my Weber Genesis has been amazing and going strong for the last ten years without any repair needed.

Warzau
Premium Member
join:2000-10-26
Naperville, IL

Warzau

Premium Member

Add me to weber. I've had mine 15 years before replacing. BUT not because it needed to be, I just wanted a new larger one. Gave my old one to in laws. I replaced all the parts before giving it to them. Which was easily obtained at local Ace, or HD or Menards.

dennismurphy
Put me on hold? I'll put YOU on hold
Premium Member
join:2002-11-19
Parsippany, NJ

1 edit

dennismurphy to comp

Premium Member

to comp
There really are two brands: Weber, and everything else.

It always amazes me how many people just rave about their Webers. It's no joke. Even my 'I'll never buy a Weber' brother in law has become a convert.
comp
Premium Member
join:2001-08-16
Evans City, PA

comp

Premium Member

well after shopping yesterday i really like the Genesis S-310. I love the stainless grates and the stainless bars. The Spirit is nice also but not sure how well the porcelain coated grates on that and even the Genesis E310 would hold up

jrs8084
Premium Member
join:2002-03-02
Statesville, NC

jrs8084 to comp

Premium Member

to comp
Click for full size
Easter Leg of Lamb
Everybody in my family is a Weber person. I used to live not far from where they made them. Actually, I remember when they made them in Arlington Heights before they moved to Palatine (and Huntley)

I am a charcoal guy myself, but some family members have a mixture of genesis and spirits. I haven't heard any complaints about the porcelain flavorer bars-I think they like them better than the older metal ones that would wear out over time.

mityfowl
Premium Member
join:2000-11-06
Dallas, TX

mityfowl to comp

Premium Member

to comp
Nothing last forever.

Stainless about 5 years with use
Moffetts
join:2005-05-09
San Mateo, CA

Moffetts to weberman

to weberman
said by weberman :

try using the weber with cast iron grates makes all the difference

That seems to be the consensus. The Spirit E310 that I bought my dad last year apparently doesn't ordinarily come with the cast iron grates, but they do if you buy it from Home Depot. Go figure.

fifty nine
join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ

fifty nine to comp

to comp
We replaced our 12 year old Kenmore/Char Broil with a Char Boil Tru Infrared today.

I'd have kept the old one but birds took it over and it became a birds nest.

Love the new one so far. The Infrared gives you nice even heat and doesn't dry the food.

Beezel
join:2008-12-15
Las Vegas, NV

Beezel to comp

to comp
said by comp:

well after shopping yesterday i really like the Genesis S-310. I love the stainless grates and the stainless bars. The Spirit is nice also but not sure how well the porcelain coated grates on that and even the Genesis E310 would hold up

They hold up extremely well. I have the Genesis E-330. Just season like regular cast iron and you won't have any issues. The cast iron is heavy gauge and they will outperform stainless. I treat it like bare cast iron and haven't had any problems. I use it year around.
comp
Premium Member
join:2001-08-16
Evans City, PA

comp

Premium Member

In that case I may be better from a budget to go with the Spirit with the cast iron