Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast

Nextel merger was a mistake

Nextel was good on its own. The Sprint merger dragged it down.

Nextel was popular among business and government users. When I first got broadband in 2001, the installer used a Nextel phone on Direct Connect mode to talk to his dispatcher to provision the modem. The administrators at my high school had school district issued phones through Nextel. The administrators said that the Nextel phones had better reception than their previous phones.
--
I've experienced ImOn (when they were McLeod USA), Mediacom, Comcast, and Time Warner and I currently have DirecTV. They are much better than broadcast TV.

I have not and will not cut the cord.

bobjohnson
Premium
join:2007-02-03
Orlando, FL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·T-Mobile US
·Sprint Mobile Br..

said by IowaCowboy:

Nextel was popular among business and government users. When I first got broadband in 2001, the installer used a Nextel phone on Direct Connect mode to talk to his dispatcher to provision the modem. The administrators at my high school had school district issued phones through Nextel. The administrators said that the Nextel phones had better reception than their previous phones.

There was no upgrade path going forward so Nextel execs being the smart group that they were found a way to make money and get out. Sprint just happened to be the sucker that bought it.
--

TBBroadband

join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·MegaPath
reply to IowaCowboy

No it wasn't a mistake. The problem was when Dan took over he didn't do anything to keep people from moving back and forth between the two companies. he should have shut down Nextel when he had the chance but didn't. Instead he waited, and waited and waited and came up with Q-Chat which was USELESS and didn't even work; hell it wasn't even fully launched and you had to wait for the app to actually connect to the system before you could use it. Pointless for Direct Connect/Walkie-Talkie.

tc1uscg

join:2005-03-09
Saint Clair Shores, MI
reply to bobjohnson

said by bobjohnson:

said by IowaCowboy:

There was no upgrade path going forward so Nextel execs being the smart group that they were found a way to make money and get out. Sprint just happened to be the sucker that bought it.

Bingo!