spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

nephipower

join:2012-02-20
San Antonio, TX

What is the state of current Uverse HD Picture Quality?

First, I want to say I don't want to start any flame wars about Uverse's HD picture quality. I just would like to get some good, honest feedback about improvements if any.

I had service a year ago and switched over to TWC partly because of the HD video quality.

Has anyone seen through your own service over the past year if the quality of the video stream has improved?

Have there been any formal announcements in the past year or so from AT&T saying they have improved the encoding codecs or anything?

Does the HD video still have a "soft" look to it or has it gotten better?

Oedipus

join:2005-05-09
kudos:1

1 recommendation

Soft as a baby's bottom.

Forosnai

join:2011-09-30
kudos:2
reply to nephipower
The bit rate is still exactly the same and its not going to change anytime in the next few years.

djrobx
Premium
join:2000-05-31
Valencia, CA
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VOIPO
said by Forosnai:

The bit rate is still exactly the same and its not going to change anytime in the next few years.

The bitrate is still too low, but they have fixed some problems. There used to be a maddening "slow-motion" artifact on slow moving backgrounds. Rolling fog would pulsate every second or so. Now that's gone, but it just seems "soft".

One would hope AT&T is looking to get on the H.265 bandwagon as quick as humanly possible. That has the most potential to solve their PQ problem. It would require new set tops, but their architecture would be able to handle a migration more gracefully than cable, as they can just stream the format that the client can accept. Cable would need to find capacity to broadcast both types of streams.
--
AT&T U-Hearse - RIP Unlimited Internet 1995-2011
Rethink Billable.

antennaman19

join:2010-01-18
Painesville, OH
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to nephipower
I added TV in February. I also have expanded basic from TWC. It is provided by the landlord. I can do an A/B comparison to the broadcast networks. I see no difference. I have HDMI out of the DVR; TW comes in on coax direct to the TV. The TV is a 42" Vizio @ 120 hz. I watch at 6-10 ft. from the screen. Very good detail.

This may be important to you: I am pair-bonded @ 3100-3200 ft.
I only run 1 HD source.
One observation: I did soften my settings per some user recommendations to get it closer to a baseline. I felt it was too bright in some scenes; too dark in others. If you want to run bleeding-edge sharpness, blacker-than-black, etc., or you sit really(closer than recommended) close to a 55" or larger, just to see if it pixellates or macroblocks,* then keep shopping.

*I have had less than 5 instances where the picture froze/pixellated.
Lasted no longer than 3 seconds. Might have been in March, where TWC would drop all the way out/freeze up from solar interference on the sat links. UV just blipped and kept going.

nephipower

San Antonio, TX

1 recommendation

Thanks for all your guys responses. I put in an order for Uverse yesterday for U300 and 24 mbit. I ordered it without a contract and that jumped the prices up a lot.

They were wanting to charge $177 and was only willing to bring down the price $15 so I cancelled the order. Right now i get 30 mbits and better tv package with DVR for $100 a month. Plus TWC doesn't lock me into a contract, so TWC was easily a better deal.

old_tech
Premium
join:2013-03-31
Springfield, IL
reply to Oedipus
said by Oedipus:

Soft as a baby's bottom.

That would be a issue with your tv, not UVerse.

old_tech
Premium
Springfield, IL
reply to nephipower
Next gen transcoders are supposed to be rolling out in five years, that will bring 4k to IPTV providers, to serve out to their customers.

As for quality, depends on the channel, the program, how far you are from the VRad.

I have seen as high as 12meg during Rocklahoma last year, on Axs TV.

Again, quality depends on a lot of factors, but it really starts at the set, as to how the person has calibrated it for PQ.

Canezoid
End of line

join:2001-02-16
Powder Springs, GA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to nephipower
HD here is crystal clear, no problems. I've used Sat, Comcast and now Uverse and I'd have to say that while Comcast did top the 3 IMO, Uverse HD PQ now is right there w/ them, at least at my house.

I'm not sure what they've done, but it seems better & smoother then when I got it, HDMI connection is superb. My wife commented just the other day while watching Once Upon A Time on ABC how clear it was, thought I was hearing things.

Peace.

Paralel

join:2011-03-24
Michigan, US
kudos:4
reply to nephipower
Especially with the 2250 DVR hardware, I have absolutely no complaints.

old_tech
Premium
Springfield, IL
reply to Canezoid
Abc being clear, would be an affiliate issue, not ATT. I have found that the ownership of our local ABC & CBS stations in my area, refuse to better their PQ., regardless if it is OTA, Satellite, UVerse, catv.

Michail
Premium
join:2000-08-02
Boynton Beach, FL
reply to nephipower
I've noticed much fewer artifacts as well. But the PQ looks soft compared to DirecTV. The PQ will still completely fail with any scene involving falling confetti.

Most of my watching these days is on Netflix which has better PQ.

old_tech
Premium
Springfield, IL
said by Michail:

I've noticed much fewer artifacts as well. But the PQ looks soft compared to DirecTV. The PQ will still completely fail with any scene involving falling confetti.

The softness is a issue of the tv being miss-adjusted. As for the picture breaking up, you see it even on Netflix or other IPTv type services that push no more than a 6-8 meg stream, and during fast motion.

nephipower

San Antonio, TX
reply to Michail
said by Michail:

With TWC they have been doing a lot of changes to move over to digital this past year. I was surprised to find for the first time during a show where they shot confetti into the air that was metallic and reflective and the whole screen didn't have a bunch of macroblocking.

When channels were analog last year and now it is digital on TWC I was surprised to see the improvement. I expect with time codecs will get more efficient and better to where we might not even see that anymore with uverse.

Michail
Premium
join:2000-08-02
Boynton Beach, FL
reply to old_tech
said by old_tech:

The softness is a issue of the tv being miss-adjusted.

I wish that were true. While the appearance of text and other things can be improved some with the right algorithms being applied by a set manufacturer, it doesn't change the fact that the detail was crushed by over-compression.
Expand your moderator at work

GusHerb94

join:2011-11-04
Chicago, IL

1 edit

Re: What is the state of current Uverse HD Picture Quality?

I just recently set up a TV for someone and calibrated everything to the optimal settings and the Uverse PQ still wasn't "top notch", then again I'm probably spoiled by the superb HD quality we get from many of the big local OTA networks.

nephipower

San Antonio, TX

Lets make sure to keep this thread on topic. That is why I specifically stated in the OP for this NOT to turn into a flame war.

Refrain from the childlike antics of one person basically just resorting to saying something is crap because they say it is so. Make sure to offer rational and thought out answers.

Thanks everyone for your responses.

I think overall i have learned that it has gotten better, especially if you make sure to get the Motorola VIP2250 DVR. But since the stream is only 6 mbits there is a bit of softness still to the picture.

old_tech
Premium
Springfield, IL

1 edit
reply to GusHerb94
Click for full size
said by GusHerb94:

said by old_tech:

said by Michail:

Huh? And where is your proof everyone on U-verse has their sets miscalibrated? The picture is soft. That's a well documented result of the bitrate and I have eyes. Why are my other inputs not soft?

Sharpening algorithms can help to an extent but they just fool the eye.

I have proof, because I am sitting right in front of my set, which has been calibrated, and the picture quality is top notch, crystal clear. Oh, my service is U-Verse, and I have no problems with PQ.

Again, unless you have actual proof, not a bunch of FUD that you have heard from others, you can just move on Michail.

I just recently set up a TV for someone and calibrated everything to the optimal settings and the Uverse PQ still wasn't "top notch", then again I'm probably spoiled by the superb HD quality we get from many of the big local OTA networks.

OTA is not eve superb. They are far from being Superb in their quality, which also ends up being why ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, PBS look no better on CATV, Satellite, FiOS, UVerse end up looking so bad, when you switch between OTA and the Pay to watch feed.

This is what a properly calibrated set looks like on U-Verse.

old_tech
Premium
Springfield, IL
reply to nephipower

said by nephipower:

Lets make sure to keep this thread on topic. That is why I specifically stated in the OP for this NOT to turn into a flame war.

Refrain from the childlike antics of one person basically just resorting to saying something is crap because they say it is so. Make sure to offer rational and thought out answers.

Thanks everyone for your responses.

I think overall i have learned that it has gotten better, especially if you make sure to get the Motorola VIP2250 DVR. But since the stream is only 6 mbits there is a bit of softness still to the picture.

Again, the softness will be if it is upscaled SD (ie 480i) programming, bad feed from the local affiliate, or poor calibration on the tv.

FTW6470

join:2008-04-14
Fort Worth, TX
reply to Anon

Last I checked, I'm still a Uverse internet customer and had the tv service for over 3 years. I believe my opinion is more than germane to the conversation at hand.

Maybe next time you can actually address some of the arguments I made...

old_tech
Premium
Springfield, IL
said by FTW6470:

Last I checked, I'm still a Uverse internet customer and had the tv service for over 3 years. I believe my opinion is more than germane to the conversation at hand.

Maybe next time you can actually address some of the arguments I made...

If you do not like the service, why do you still have it. Sorry, but unable to compute that remark with someone who does not like what they are paying for, but unable to decide to move to something else.

Sort of like going out to eat with someone, and they hate not only the menu, but the restaurant, but they keep going there and ordering food off of the menu.