spacer

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed
Expand your moderator at work

nephipower

join:2012-02-20
San Antonio, TX

Re: What is the state of current Uverse HD Picture Quality?

Lets make sure to keep this thread on topic. That is why I specifically stated in the OP for this NOT to turn into a flame war.

Refrain from the childlike antics of one person basically just resorting to saying something is crap because they say it is so. Make sure to offer rational and thought out answers.

Thanks everyone for your responses.

I think overall i have learned that it has gotten better, especially if you make sure to get the Motorola VIP2250 DVR. But since the stream is only 6 mbits there is a bit of softness still to the picture.

old_tech
Premium
join:2013-03-31
Springfield, IL

1 edit
reply to GusHerb94
Click for full size
said by GusHerb94:

said by old_tech:

said by Michail:

Huh? And where is your proof everyone on U-verse has their sets miscalibrated? The picture is soft. That's a well documented result of the bitrate and I have eyes. Why are my other inputs not soft?

Sharpening algorithms can help to an extent but they just fool the eye.

I have proof, because I am sitting right in front of my set, which has been calibrated, and the picture quality is top notch, crystal clear. Oh, my service is U-Verse, and I have no problems with PQ.

Again, unless you have actual proof, not a bunch of FUD that you have heard from others, you can just move on Michail.

I just recently set up a TV for someone and calibrated everything to the optimal settings and the Uverse PQ still wasn't "top notch", then again I'm probably spoiled by the superb HD quality we get from many of the big local OTA networks.

OTA is not eve superb. They are far from being Superb in their quality, which also ends up being why ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, PBS look no better on CATV, Satellite, FiOS, UVerse end up looking so bad, when you switch between OTA and the Pay to watch feed.

This is what a properly calibrated set looks like on U-Verse.

old_tech
Premium
Springfield, IL
reply to nephipower

said by nephipower:

Lets make sure to keep this thread on topic. That is why I specifically stated in the OP for this NOT to turn into a flame war.

Refrain from the childlike antics of one person basically just resorting to saying something is crap because they say it is so. Make sure to offer rational and thought out answers.

Thanks everyone for your responses.

I think overall i have learned that it has gotten better, especially if you make sure to get the Motorola VIP2250 DVR. But since the stream is only 6 mbits there is a bit of softness still to the picture.

Again, the softness will be if it is upscaled SD (ie 480i) programming, bad feed from the local affiliate, or poor calibration on the tv.

FTW6470

join:2008-04-14
Fort Worth, TX
reply to Anon

Last I checked, I'm still a Uverse internet customer and had the tv service for over 3 years. I believe my opinion is more than germane to the conversation at hand.

Maybe next time you can actually address some of the arguments I made...

old_tech
Premium
Springfield, IL
said by FTW6470:

Last I checked, I'm still a Uverse internet customer and had the tv service for over 3 years. I believe my opinion is more than germane to the conversation at hand.

Maybe next time you can actually address some of the arguments I made...

If you do not like the service, why do you still have it. Sorry, but unable to compute that remark with someone who does not like what they are paying for, but unable to decide to move to something else.

Sort of like going out to eat with someone, and they hate not only the menu, but the restaurant, but they keep going there and ordering food off of the menu.

doubleohwhat

join:2008-10-25
Birmingham, AL
reply to nephipower

I'm not looking to get into the argument that seems to be going on in this thread but I will say that (in my area at least) uverse still looks pretty bad when viewing certain content (sports for example).

If you really want pristine picture quality for sports and similar fast action content, then I'd suggest going with your local cable company or a satellite service. However, if you're really not super picky and just want a service that will have decent to pretty good picture quality 85% of the time then you should be okay with uverse.

Also, I believe you can still have them rip it out within 30 days if you don't like the service. So you don't really lose anything by trying it if it's a pretty good deal as far as $ is concerned for you.

ram1220

join:2009-07-03
Allen, TX

I also have Uverse TV and internet. I've had them for 5 years. I love the internet but hate the TV service. Hd does look soft. And forget about watching anything with a moving picture. The only reason I have kept the TV service so long is because I get a nice discount on my internet as long as I have TV. But I am switching my TV service to DirecTV this month. I am just sick and tired of paying AT&T a lot of money each month for a 3rd rate HD picture. I too have had my TV professionally calibrated on each input. OTA looks so much better than Uverse. And to the guy that posted the TV picture. Where on screen does it tell us that is Uverse? Could be any picture that you drummed up. And to me the quality of the picture you posted looks soft also.

Oedipus

join:2005-05-09
kudos:1

1 edit

tl;dr

Uverse PQ sucks almost as hard as their internet plans.

dragger
Premium
join:2002-06-19
Festus, MO
Reviews:
·Charter

1 recommendation

reply to nephipower

It's a shame that a promising thread gets overrun when there could have been a lot of useful information provided.

Due to a move, I need to change my provider in the next couple of weeks and the only options are Charter or Uverse. I've been a Dish customer for years and even with their occasional antics I have never had problems with getting a great picture.

Charter vs Uverse almost sounds like a bad joke. Any reasoned opinions? I haven't seen either in a setting I would trust.

Rangersfan

@sbcglobal.net

1 recommendation

said by dragger:

It's a shame that a promising thread gets overrun when there could have been a lot of useful information provided.

Due to a move, I need to change my provider in the next couple of weeks and the only options are Charter or Uverse. I've been a Dish customer for years and even with their occasional antics I have never had problems with getting a great picture.

Charter vs Uverse almost sounds like a bad joke. Any reasoned opinions? I haven't seen either in a setting I would trust.

I had Dish Network for 3 years prior to switching to U-verse TV. I switched to U-verse mainly to get more stable internet service compared to the Time Warner cable internet service that I had at the time. Based on some comments similar to the ones posted in this thread, I was fully prepared to not like U-verse TV, and to stick with Dish Network. In my case I was pleasantly surprised to actually like U-verse TV, and I ended up canceling Dish.

My only advice would be to ignore the opinions that you read on the internet whether they be positive or negative. Try the service and make up your own mind. It comes with a 30 day money back guarantee so if you decide that the service is not for you, you can cancel within the first 30 days and owe nothing.

GusHerb94

join:2011-11-04
Chicago, IL

2 edits
reply to old_tech
said by old_tech:

OTA is not eve superb. They are far from being Superb in their quality, which also ends up being why ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, PBS look no better on CATV, Satellite, FiOS, UVerse end up looking so bad, when you switch between OTA and the Pay to watch feed.

This is what a properly calibrated set looks like on U-Verse.

CBS, ABC, NBC, and WGN in my area have very very good PQ. Comparing between all, those networks out do Comcast, Uverse, and Direct.

Also, when we did have Uverse HD service I flipped between cable and OTA on the same network and the difference was nearly night and day, unfortunately.

old_tech
Premium
Springfield, IL
As they state, mileage will vary. Sinclair & Nexstar could give a whoop about PQ. As for WGN, it will be good on all providers, unless they do SD programming, which you will tell, because of the letterboxing, and same goes when they do it on CW, but usually on CW, they do good ole stretch-o-vision with 480i content.

Ken_H

join:2004-03-15
Canton, MI
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

reply to nephipower
In my direct comparisons to other HD sources using professionally calibrated displays, including DirecTV, Dish Network, Comcast, WOW, and over-the-air DTV reception, U-verse image quality is consistently the least of all other options.

The easiest comparison is using OTA, where one can see the exact difference between a native source and what U-verse offers. In Detroit we have access to one OTA station, CBS WWJ-DT, that uses all the available ~19 Mbps of ATSC bandwidth for its HD channel. The difference between seeing it OTA and on U-verse clearly shows U-verse being inferior.

I would personally subscribe to any of the other options I referenced above before U-verse, if HD image quality is valued.

shortyd999

join:2008-10-21
Birmingham, AL
reply to nephipower
Personally I have no major issues with my Uverse TV(had the service since Aug 2011).PQ is fine for the most part. I do notice when watching fash moving pictures (sports) or movies (like Unstoppable comes to mind) or when u see an event with all that confetti, it starts blocking(i assume that's macroblocking) and doesnt clear up until the fast image slows down or the confetti goes away. This was less severe when my TV services were provided by the cable company. Again I dont watch a lot of sports so its not a major issue for me but it is noticable. Oh and by the way just want to say I only have TV with Uverse, no other services and I'm 900ft from the VRAD using 2Wire 3800 and a Cisco DVR
--
Broadband provided by Bright House RR
TV provided by AT&T Uverse
AT&T DSL Tech Support Rep
Helping To The Best of My Abilities Within The Confines of My Corporate Overloard

mcwhatl

join:2010-12-19
North Miami Beach, FL
reply to nephipower
I tried Uverse TV service several years ago. What I found interesting was the service does many things very well except for PQ. The equipment (whole home DVR, etc.) and the user interface were a major improvement over cable TV. The speed of changing channels was an improvement over DirecTV (which I had before U-Verse and have now). The weakness was the PQ. I noticed two issues immediately: macroblocking with fast movement and color reduction causing striping with what should be smooth color transitions.

I reactivated my DirecTV service and noticed the satellite picture, which is also compressed if we're all being honest, does it in a less obvious manner than U-verse. DirecTV compression was noticeable only when comparing side-by-side to OTA and otherwise really wasn't detectable. Given there was no significant price difference and given I began to fixate on the U-verse PQ issues, I switched back to DirecTV.

When I canceled the U-verse TV service, AT&T suggested my TV may need to be adjusted or perhaps a signal issue of some sort (which was not indicated on the gateway statistics). I knew that wasn't true.

dragger
Premium
join:2002-06-19
Festus, MO
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to Rangersfan
said by Rangersfan :

I had Dish Network for 3 years prior to switching to U-verse TV. I switched to U-verse mainly to get more stable internet service compared to the Time Warner cable internet service that I had at the time. Based on some comments similar to the ones posted in this thread, I was fully prepared to not like U-verse TV, and to stick with Dish Network. In my case I was pleasantly surprised to actually like U-verse TV, and I ended up canceling Dish.

My only advice would be to ignore the opinions that you read on the internet whether they be positive or negative. Try the service and make up your own mind. It comes with a 30 day money back guarantee so if you decide that the service is not for you, you can cancel within the first 30 days and owe nothing.

Thanks for that great reply. It was exactly what I was hoping for.

I'm wondering from some of the posts if there might not be a big difference in PQ from region to region. From an unscientific look it appears that Uverse is worse in the South and Southeast and pretty decent in the Midwest.

Michail
Premium
join:2000-08-02
Boynton Beach, FL
No, we all get the same streams unless it is a local channel.

old_tech
Premium
Springfield, IL
said by Michail:

Actually not, since we all come out of different VHO's. I am with dragger, that we are seeing different PQ in different parts of the country, or possibly the fact that it could be the placebo effect.

The bad thing is, I can flip over to OTA, and the PQ on our locals are the same as what are on U-Verse, but with our local CBS & ABC affiliates, it is more enhanced with the crappy quality of both of their stations, when watching on U-Verse.

rolande
Certifiable
Premium,Mod
join:2002-05-24
Dallas, TX
kudos:6
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·ViaTalk
reply to nephipower
In general, I have been pretty satisfied with the PQ from Uverse. I did some unscientific comparisons between OTA HD and Uverse on my older Sony 34KBR800 as well as my newer LG 42LN5300. Both sets I calibrated using the Ovation Home theater DVD, so admittedly not professionally calibrated but better than nothing. There is some subtle difference in the clarity of fine detail on Uverse. I would characterize it as softness or some form of anti-aliasing. I've also noticed this interesting subtle horizontal striping effect on multiple different sets, when the picture transitions from slow to fast moving. The real differences I found to be evident when watching Hockey or NASCAR.

Now, I would not characterize this picture as "crap". Is it equivalent to raw ATSC quality? I don't think so. Is it better than TWC? I think so, particularly on larger screens. Any screen under about 36-40" and it is nearly impossible to tell the difference, especially when sitting 8-10 feet back on your couch. Once I finish out my theater room in a couple months I'll have to run the acid test on the 130" projection screen. I'm sure any PQ deficiencies will be much more obvious at that size. I don't expect I'll be watching much Uverse in that room, anyway.
--
Scott, CCIE #14618 Routing & Switching
»rolande.wordpress.com/

Michail
Premium
join:2000-08-02
Boynton Beach, FL
reply to old_tech
said by old_tech:

said by Michail:

Actually not, since we all come out of different VHO's. I am with dragger, that we are seeing different PQ in different parts of the country, or possibly the fact that it could be the placebo effect.

The bad thing is, I can flip over to OTA, and the PQ on our locals are the same as what are on U-Verse, but with our local CBS & ABC affiliates, it is more enhanced with the crappy quality of both of their stations, when watching on U-Verse.

I could be wrong but I thought the encoders for the national channels came out of the main VHO and the regional channels were encoded at the local level. But I'm only going by memory of something I red here a couple years ago.