Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

bigguy126

join:2007-05-18
Pittsburgh, PA

Any Pittsburgh users here?

I'm experiencing a audio tick or click on only one channel - 504-wtaehd
It only shows up on shows whose audio is in dolby. The click comes out of the surround speakers. I have a tivo and have determined that the click is coming either from the tivo or the source. The click is in the recording. ie it is repeatable if the show is re-wound. So this takes out the hdmi cables or the stereo receiver. The click is intermittant - maybe 5 times a hour.

I had Verizon out today and they heard it too and changed the ONT,splitters and the cable. Click is still there.

Anyone else from Pittsburgh - noticed this? If so, please mention if you have a tivo or a VZ box.

Any suggestions?

bohratom
Jersey Shore is back again.

join:2011-07-07
Red Bank NJ
Just wondering but too rule out HDMI (which has had numerous issues over the last few years both video and audio related based on the TV or Receiver used) have you connected either the digital audio or optical audio from the TIVO to your receiver?

Reason I ask is my brother had the same issue which was caused by the HDMI connection not working correctly with his A/V receiver. Once he instead connected it via optical audio it went away.

jpeezy13

join:2008-08-27
Pittsburgh, PA
reply to bigguy126
said by bigguy126:

I'm experiencing a audio tick or click on only one channel - 504-wtaehd
It only shows up on shows whose audio is in dolby. The click comes out of the surround speakers. I have a tivo and have determined that the click is coming either from the tivo or the source. The click is in the recording. ie it is repeatable if the show is re-wound. So this takes out the hdmi cables or the stereo receiver. The click is intermittant - maybe 5 times a hour.

I had Verizon out today and they heard it too and changed the ONT,splitters and the cable. Click is still there.

Anyone else from Pittsburgh - noticed this? If so, please mention if you have a tivo or a VZ box.

Any suggestions?

I'm from Pittsburgh and have the same exact issue. Only seems to happen on 504 (ABC). Happens both watching live events as well as recorded events. Only happens in the rear speakers. Doesnt happen on any other channel, or any other format (blu-ray or video games). Everything is hooked up via HDMI.

bigguy126

Pittsburgh, PA
Hey jpeezy13,

Glad to hear it is not just me. This will give me ammunition to go back to Verizon and have them check the source.

Do you have a Verizon box or dvr? or a tivo? Please let me know this so I can forward it on to Verizon.

jpeezy13

Pittsburgh, PA
I do not have Tivo. I have the 500GB DVR and an HD box, both Motorola.

bull3964

@stargate.net
I think I've had that issue for years on WATE. I don't currently watch anything on ABC, but I remember an ongoing rear channel click annoying me throughout the run of Lost.

bull3964

@stargate.net
reply to bigguy126
Oh, and I should mention, I've experienced the same audio anomaly on both Comcast and OTA so I'm pretty sure the source of the issue is WTAE. I know WATE transcodes the 720p stream from ABC to 1080i so it's possible they are processing the audio as well and causing glitches.

bigguy126

Pittsburgh, PA
reply to bigguy126
Since this does not sound like a Verizon problem. I forwarded this thread to verizon direct and they updated my case. They said that they will get the network engineers to contact WTAE. I'll keep you posted.

bigguy126

Pittsburgh, PA
reply to bigguy126
I have been in contact with the head of engineering at WTAE. He has heard the click. They are trying to identify the source. Keep you posted.

jpeezy13

Pittsburgh, PA
reply to bigguy126
Thanks bigguy, that is good news. I hope they are able to fix this. Please keep us posted.

jpeezy13

Pittsburgh, PA
reply to bigguy126
Bigguy, any updates regarding WTAE and the crackling in the rear speakers?

bigguy126

Pittsburgh, PA
reply to bigguy126
I just emailed the engineer last week for any updates because I was still hearing it. His reply was that they still have not found it and it was like looking for a needle in a haystack. Not good news. Does not sound like it will be a easy fix. I'll let everyone know if I hear something from him.

jpeezy13

Pittsburgh, PA
reply to bigguy126
Thank you. I am still hearing it as well. I can't believe they haven't found it yet. I'm worried that it will eventually ruin my speakers.

Thanks for your help in looking into this.

marc3565

join:2009-10-08
kudos:1
reply to bigguy126
Just throwing some ideas out there. You could keep a log of the exact times. Also look for the timing. Is it happening during a switch from a show to a commercial or between commercials etc., or within a show or commercial.

You mention channel 504.. does it also happen on the SD version channel 4

bigguy126

Pittsburgh, PA
The engineer has heard it himself. He has Fios at his home. It only occurs when they switch over to network programming and not local. He has indicated to me that they they know generally where it could be coming from but can't figure it out exactly.

bigguy126

Pittsburgh, PA
reply to bigguy126
I've been in email contact with the head engineer at WTAE. He has indicated that they think that they have fixed the problem. Those of you that have heard it, please let me know if it has been fixed and I'll report back to him. So far I have not heard any problems.

bigguy126

Pittsburgh, PA
reply to bigguy126
bump

jpeezy13

Pittsburgh, PA
reply to bigguy126
I haven't had a chance to check recently but I will give it a shot tonight and let you know. Thanks for your help with this.