spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

join:2013-02-02
Whistler, BC

Optimal MTU

curious what the optimal mtu for shaw is, when i called in and asked about this a few weeks ago they had absolutely no idea, even after doing tonnes of research, this article talking about how to get your connection the best for cod goes into lots of detail about the mtu, »www.charlieintel.com/bo2-intel/t···gaphant/

my mtu right now is set to default of 1500, wondering if maybe lowering it a little might improve my connection quality

kevinds
Premium
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB
kudos:3

1500 is what it should be, what kind of connection quality are you looking to improve?
--
Yes, I am not employed and looking for IT work. Have passport, will travel.

Whistler, BC

1 edit

the game has so many connection issues the list is endless

probably my biggest pet peeve is when it holds 4 bars randomly then drops to 3 and sometimes 2 or 1, and the connection isnt changing, its like the game hiding the fact its really fuckin 3 bar so it tells me its 4, it will do this even on a florida host, show me fuckin 4 bar for WHATEVER REASON I CAN NOT IMAGINE, its like its showing 4 bar for my strength then showing 3 or 2 for my ping, the game needs to fucking pick what it wants to show my bars for and stop jumping up and down, thats one of the problems, lag comp is a whole nother story

kevinds
Premium
Calgary, AB

What do your speedtests some out with? and pingtest?

Whistler, BC
reply to 18286719

my connection should be amazing tho i kno its not shaws fault if its not

»speedtest.net/result/2667607032.png

»www.pingtest.net/result/80351202.png

kevinds
Premium
Calgary, AB

No, your internet connection is good according to those tests

Something with the game, out of your control...
--
Yes, I am not employed and looking for IT work. Have passport, will travel.

Whistler, BC

my connection is good, tho the game could probably do a bit better with some more upload there are still tonnes of small things u can do to make a difference to your connection, when you die in 80-150ms every ms starts to count, and black ops 2 has about 10ms camera delay in game even when on lan or split screen, u pair this with lag comp and someone connecting from across the country, and bam, insta-death! even if i manage to kill them lag comp will essentially go back in time and kill me first, it happens almost every kill when i play against people on fios 50/25

tray

join:2013-04-25

That game is extremely bad. It's easily the worst online FPS since CSS beta's hitbox issue - it's been shown that there's a >150ms delay at zero ping. You are effectively playing with a ping too high for FPS games before you even take your actual connection into account. You won't get around that by doing anything with your connection. Play a proper game if you want to play an FPS.

spock

join:2012-07-08
reply to 18286719

I always found shaws ping times to gaming servers in the southern states were higher than other ISP's, not always but at least 1 out of 3 times.

dazman09

join:2010-10-28
reply to 18286719

Pretty much all of the internet uses a 1500byte MTU. If you change packet sizes on your local network, and send them out to the internet, most likely the first router you encounter will take the packets and resize them to 1500 bytes anyway. This will actually slow your connection as the router is now doing more work.

What you should do is run a tracert to the server you are connecting. Its possible one or more routers along the way have high pings and maybe over loaded, slowing your packets as they try to get to the server. Your local connection is a small part of a complex system. There are typically 12-20 other routers involved in reaching a game server. Any one of which can cause performance issues, including the game server itself. Also worrying about how many 'bars' a game is showing you for performance is a weak way of going about it. Who knows what their algorithm is for producing that graph. Apple had a really lame algorithm for their cell signal icon where you'd often have 3-4 bars (full signal) even though you might have only had 15-30% signal strength. They changed it to be more accurate after 'antenna-gate'.

Whistler, BC

judging by the last post, i think u misunderstand a bit, the cod servers are only used for connecting people tho, not hosting games, when cod games are hosted its p2p (less money, easier to keep running) theres also search settings in the game to makesure u always get a good connection, aswell as geographical regions to help people close get connected (even tho it puts me in the same geographical region as people from ontario) so i cant run a tracert because my server im connecting to is everchanging (unless im host, which still causes me random connection issues, the host always gets the worst lag comp possible, i believe the host actually gets a connection equivalent to the worst connection in the lobby

also regarding mtu, it would be nice to see some proof that 1500 is shaws mtu, as when i called they couldnt answer this, and im curious where this info is coming from other then just being made up and assumed

tray

join:2013-04-25

See

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoFnIckyoxg

and

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=sw9O9RDQ_yA

for issues specific to COD.

You can get the IP for a tracert by using a program such as CommView to find the IP you're exchanging the most data with (host). If using a console, you would need to bridge your connection first. However, as the above videos describe, it is a moot point. The game itself causes these problems, not your connection.

Whistler, BC

i have seen all this, im aware, hopefully it will be fixed in the next game with the new console

stolen

join:2004-04-12
Calgary, AB
kudos:2

1 edit
reply to 18286719

»Tweaking FAQ »Max MTU: How do I find mine?

Shows you how to find your max MTU using ping.

On a linux box:

:~$ ping google.com -s 1472 -M do
PING google.com (74.125.236.96) 1472(1500) bytes of data.
1480 bytes from bom03s01-in-f0.1e100.net (74.125.236.96): icmp_req=1 ttl=49 time=232 ms

The number in parenthesis is the actual size of the packet sent out on the wire.

If you go above 1500 (or whatever the max MTU along the path is), you'll get messages back letting you know the packet will need to be fragmented, and which device is complaining.

Whistler, BC

thank you! much appreciated, mine is 1500