Bless you Howie
Premium
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle
kudos:5

How many watts does my laptop use?

I don't have a meter to measure amperes, but I am wondering, this is my laptop:

»shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/cont···E98FE321

I know that the power wart has a rating on it, but during heavy use and idle, what power does this laptop use. If I fold on it, how much does it use compared to a desktop. I am guessing 150+ watts?
--
Join Teams Helix and Discovery. Rest in Peace, Leonard David Smith, my best friend, you are missed badly! Rest in peace, Pop, glad our last years were good. Please pray for Colin, he has ependymoma, a brain cancer, donate to a children's Hospital.

kvn864

join:2001-12-18
Sun City, AZ
kudos:1

Wouldnt be even close to 150W. I remember measuring power consumption of Lenovo T420 with very similar specs. Dont remember exact numbers, but I think idle was 10-15 W, while full load was around 45-50 W. This is with regular HDD and 4 GB of RAM.

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle

So 80 watts? So folding on it would be cheap, but more wear and tear...

kvn864

Sun City, AZ

Its 50W max Id say for your laptop on maximum load. I would only be concern about the temperatures. They are auto-controlled by your motherboard BIOS though, it should be fine, possibly making audible noise. Cooling fan will wear out faster. You could use one of those laptop coolers with a fan blowing on the body on the laptop from the bottom, that would help.
Desktop normally consumes around 100 W idling. Load would vary widely on a video card and other hardware components.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12
reply to signmeuptoo

You don't have a Killawatt? It's a handy tool for everyone to have.

»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···-715-001
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

markofmayhem
Why not now?
Premium
join:2004-04-08
Pittsburgh, PA
reply to signmeuptoo

said by signmeuptoo:

I don't have a meter to measure amperes, but I am wondering, this is my laptop:

»shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/cont···E98FE321

I know that the power wart has a rating on it, but during heavy use and idle, what power does this laptop use. If I fold on it, how much does it use compared to a desktop. I am guessing 150+ watts?

I have a T530 with the Nvidia card which is similar, but slightly more powerful. Folding on the i5 quad core while plugged in, my battery drains slightly, so I am using more than 90 watts. The temperatures are alarming and the CPU does throttle, resulting in performance that is questionable for folding. However, if you use external cooling or perhaps have a more efficient (as in power to waste in heat) CPU, you may be better off than I.
--
Show off that hardware: join Team Discovery and Team Helix

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle
reply to signmeuptoo

Another question: There is an app on the system that I think reverses the CPU fan to remove dust. How good does that work?

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3
reply to signmeuptoo

Whats the power brick say?

take the amp/volts of the output and multiply them.
that will give you the max that your powersupply can give it and you'll never pull more than that.

beyond that get a kill-o-watt and see.
--
»www.change.org/petitions/create-···imcity-4

nonymous
Premium
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ
reply to signmeuptoo

You have less money and you may want to be able to use the laptop for school. Even for folding purposes you may reconsider pushing the new laptop all the time. May not be a ton of wear and only a small chance of over heating. Still you seem to count on this laptop in a way others may not. So you may need to think of your needs before being generous with folding.

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle

Yes, I agree, but I simply wondered how many watts under load because I wondered how it would affect my electric bill. I see now that the efficiency of laptops is pretty darned good.

I stopped folding on it a few weeks ago because yes, I can't afford to have it fail early, I need it for school.
--
Join Teams Helix and Discovery. Rest in Peace, Leonard David Smith, my best friend, you are missed badly! Rest in peace, Pop, glad our last years were good. Please pray for Colin, he has ependymoma, a brain cancer, donate to a children's Hospital.

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle
reply to Krisnatharok

said by Krisnatharok:

You don't have a Killawatt? It's a handy tool for everyone to have.

»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···-715-001

No, don't have a Kill a watt. I don't have my true RMS meter either. When I moved I had to leave behind almost all my possessions, only what I could carry on the bus.

I even used to have an old scope.
--

kvn864

Sun City, AZ

I wouldnt Fold on a laptop you relying on for your school work. Not likely youd see any effect on the power bill, a bulb on your desk consume something close, it is more concern on heat and excessive wear.
About the fan spinning backwards to clean the dust .. this is the first time I hear such a thing, interesting, it would certainly help, but nothing bits compressed air.

nonymous
Premium
Glendale, AZ
reply to signmeuptoo

Unless the fan was designed to go in reverse I am not sure software alone would do this.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3

I would doubt it'd have the circuitry to reverse the polarity going to the fan, and its possible the fan is wired to block opposite polarity.

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle
reply to signmeuptoo

nevrtheless, I just ran it.

nonymous
Premium
Glendale, AZ

1 edit
reply to signmeuptoo

I know you ran it. Did you open the case and see the fan run backwards?
Any link to the software we can check it out?

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT
reply to signmeuptoo

Click for full size
I have a thinkpad T400 the fan is really easy to get to.. I took my whole laptop apart to replace the USB ports but you get the drift.