All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Neo62381
join:2003-04-18
Lenoir, NC

Neo62381

Looking for a decent cable tester. Any recommendations?

Title pretty much sums it up.

This will be for personal use, so a Fluke CableIQ meter won't be anywhere near within budget. Ideally, I'd like something that can do cable qualification, but if budget doesn't permit, can live without.

I'm basically just looking for something to test the wire from the patch panel to the wall, tell me if it will support gigabit, etc.
snowsam
join:2001-04-11
Signal Mountain, TN

snowsam

What is your budget? How much are you OK with spending?

For the low end, I would suggest just one of the less than $10, simple continuity type testers. It confirms that you wired both ends up correctly and are not missing or have reversed any pairs.

99% of the time (assuming you have used quality cable and ends) all will be good if it passes that test.
Neo62381
Lenoir, NC

Neo62381

I'm OK with $200 as long as it's of quality. I'm even ok with something from ebay, if I can get something at a decent price. I was honestly considering a Fluke linkrunner for $450, but that's still a little too pricey for my own personal use.
HELLFIRE
MVM
join:2009-11-25

HELLFIRE to Neo62381

MVM

to Neo62381
Define "cable qualification"?

As snowsam See Profile says, baseline is a continuity tester that confirms the cable pairs are wired up right.
After that is where things get interesting.

Also are you only working with RJ-45 cabling or do you also need to work with others like RJ-11 and coax?

Regards
Neo62381
Lenoir, NC

Neo62381

A meter that tests the cable to ensure that it supports the bandwidth, and lives up to TIA standards, and so on and so forth...

FWIW, currently I'm looking at: »www.monoprice.com/produc ··· format=2 However it doesn't do qualification tests.
H_T_R_N (banned)
join:2011-12-06
Valencia, PA

H_T_R_N (banned) to Neo62381

to Neo62381
said by Neo62381:

Title pretty much sums it up.

This will be for personal use, so a Fluke CableIQ meter won't be anywhere near within budget. Ideally, I'd like something that can do cable qualification, but if budget doesn't permit, can live without.

I'm basically just looking for something to test the wire from the patch panel to the wall, tell me if it will support gigabit, etc.

I have been really happy with my Test-Um Validator NT955. I know its a tad bit out of your price range but its a really nice unit.
Neo62381
Lenoir, NC

Neo62381

Yeah, that's more along the lines of what I'm looking for, just out of my price range. That does look like a really nice unit. I'm begining to think that a good qualification meter is going to be out of my price range no matter the unit.

LazMan
Premium Member
join:2003-03-26
Beverly Hills, CA

LazMan to Neo62381

Premium Member

to Neo62381
It's been years since I actually bought a certification tester, but back in the day, the Pentascanner I got was about 6 grand.

Taking a quick look, you're going to be $1500 and up for a certification rig; and 2 grand for something from a company with a name I recognize...

Any reason why you want to do more then a simple wiremap?
Neo62381
Lenoir, NC

Neo62381

Thanks for the info... Yeah, I've pretty much just decided to give up on qualification and go for the monoprice unit I listed in one of my above posts.

I work as a network architect and also do some consulting on the side. Much of it is becasue I'm very OCD, but I'd like to be able to test and qualify each of the runs to a patch panel. I have a Fluke CableIQ meter at work, which I've admittedly gotten used to, but I'd like to get away from borrowing it (needed by others at different locations).
HELLFIRE
MVM

HELLFIRE to Neo62381

MVM

to Neo62381
...guessing the Fluke IQ was just ALITTLE outside of your pricerange, Neo62381 See Profile?

Fluke is like THE goto name for kit like this, but from what little browsing I've done of their lineup, "low cost"
isn't exactly one of the reasons to get em.

I've got a Test-um IVT 600 from awhile back... while the company doesn't seen to be around anymore, it was a
pretty solid piece of gear. Datasheet here

Regards

Wily_One
Premium Member
join:2002-11-24
San Jose, CA

Wily_One

Premium Member

I was intrigued by this Test-Um mentioned above - mainly to see what it costs. (Way over my budget as well!)

Anyway it is still marketed by JDSU, so perhaps other models are as well.
Neo62381
Lenoir, NC

Neo62381 to HELLFIRE

to HELLFIRE
Just can't see spending 2 - 3 grand on a cable meter for personal use, is all. I can get a new ThinkPad for that. Unless it's for a business that would need it a lot more frequently than I.

Also that Test-um meter you posted a link to made me drool....
daveinpoway
Premium Member
join:2006-07-03
Poway, CA

daveinpoway

Premium Member

This is a halfway decent tester: »www.siemon.com/e-catalog ··· tt_stm-8

Not a Fluke, of course, but definitely more affordable.
HELLFIRE
MVM

HELLFIRE to Neo62381

MVM

to Neo62381
Was looking at the Test-Um NT955 alittle as well... Wish I had some money to burn and a distributer on
speed dial to get one

Let us know what you end up deciding to go with Neo62381 See Profile

Regards
Neo62381
Lenoir, NC

Neo62381

Been looking at an older Fluke 620 meter on ebay. Looks like I may be going for that one. I think you can get them for around $150. Looks like it will do everything I need it to (with the exception of qualification)... Might have to order the monoprice unit as well, just to do a comparison.